Toronto is ridiculously stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Victor Galis

Er... the original question is why make a crown corp to make something that Bombardier already makes. Your question is equally valid
    Bombardier makes the cars because they bought the company.

And I've no idea why. I guess for the fat profit margins...
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

There's light rail, and then there's really light rail...
      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Bombardier makes the cars because they bought the company.

And I've no idea why. I guess for the fat profit margins...
        I think they've bought out other tram makers though.
        "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
        -Joan Robinson

Comment

Are they buying them all so they can shut them all down and make General Motors great again?
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I don't understand the hard-on for streetcars/trams eithers. Perhaps if it were set up as light rail, bypassing regular streets, but otherwise...?
            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

I've only been to Toronto once and was sorely disappointed. But it was a convention, so I really didn't get a great feel for the place - convention center, restaurant, hotel, sleep -- repeat.

Montreal, OTOH, was a blast. Very diverse, awesome food, strong Euro influence, great club scene... one of my favorite North American cities.
              Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
              RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I always think of Tonto when I see the word Toronto... and I've heard rumors that Tonto did, in deed, suck.
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                  Montreal, OTOH, was a blast. Very diverse, awesome food, strong Euro influence, great club scene... one of my favorite North American cities.
                  Hey, me too

I got the same impression from Toronto, and I spent a week there.
                  Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Does Toronto still have a bunch of empty malls? Those really creep me out.

Comment

Over the next 15-20 years, Reno's going to be building a hybrid "light rail" system along the main N-S street. It utilizes over-sized buses running in a dedicated lane in the middle of the road, but they can be driven on any paved surface if need be just like a regular bus system. Streetcars were discussed ... and rejected. The fear was that, like rotting flesh attracts flies, streetcars would attract even more Californians to the area...
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Streetcars are rapidly progressing in Europe. They make sense in certain density conditions (where subway wouldn't be reasonable, but busses are too packed).

Streetcars go a bit faster than busses, because traffic lights etc are specifically taylored for them. They can also gobble more people during rush hour.

It always takes a lot of time before a streetcar network becomes functional. Such a system is very complex, and needs a ton of trial and error. Paris' new streetcar line is expected to be fully functional in late 2007 (it started operating in late 2006).

In short: come back and whine in a year or so.
                        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                          Streetcars are rapidly progressing in Europe. They make sense in certain density conditions (where subway wouldn't be reasonable, but busses are too packed).

Streetcars go a bit faster than busses, because traffic lights etc are specifically taylored for them.
                          Why can't you do this with busses? The track suddenly allows traffic lights to be tailored for them...?

They can also gobble more people during rush hour.
                          Wouldn't that depend on the size of the bus/streetcar? In Toronto they're identical in size.

In short: come back and whine in a year or so.
                          Toronto has had streetcars since the 1930s. Almost every city if phasing them out because they're needlessly expensive and complex and provide no benefits.

If you want to see a modern mass transit system without streetcars, check out Viva (which is for cities north of Toronto): http://www.vivayork.com/

They have dedicated bus lanes and the traffic lights along the roads they run on permit straight-through travel for the busses.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I have absolutely no idea why Paris installed that streetcar line instead of opting for a subway. They at least could have gone for an elevated rail that wouldn't clog up the crosspoints.
                            DISCLAIMER: the author of the above written texts does not warrant or assume any legal liability or responsibility for any offence and insult; disrespect, arrogance and related forms of demeaning behaviour; discrimination based on race, gender, age, income class, body mass, living area, political voting-record, football fan-ship and musical preference; insensitivity towards material, emotional or spiritual distress; and attempted emotional or financial black-mailing, skirt-chasing or death-threats perceived by the reader of the said written texts.

Comment

Here's what the streetcars are like in Toronto.

They're the size of busses with the downsides of being much more expensive, unable to move around obstacles, on rail tracks which are hazards to cyclists and pedestrians, and much harder to replace.

Comment

Toronto is good for a laugh
                                Resident Filipina Lady Boy Expert.

Comment

Working...
                                X