No announcement yet.

Pinochet is Dead!!! 2nd Massive Stroke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And Franco, Salazar, Sukarno, Stroessner, Videla, Papadopoulos... they all "saved" their country from communists. Real good role models for a better society!
    I love being beaten by women - Lorizael

Comment

@zoid
      RIAA sucks
      The Optimistas
      I'm a political cartoonist

Comment

Originally posted by Aro

:I cannot understand this kind of statement. Judging by that, with these criteria, Hitler was just trying to recover Germany… He just did the same.

What part of “mass murder” did you not understand?

3000, all political opponents of the regime, vs millions, mainly ordinary folks killed for their race.

Note how folks like Chomsky make a big deal about disputing whether the Khmer Rouge actually was responsible for the deaths of over a million Cambodian peasants? Even if they werent, they certainly killed more political opponents than Pinochet did. Somehow in that case folks understand that killing political opponents, while wrong and undemocratic, is not in quite the same category as some other atrocities.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Zoid
          And Franco, Salazar, Sukarno, Stroessner, Videla, Papadopoulos... they all "saved" their country from communists. Real good role models for a better society!

I think youre confusing Sukarno with Suharto.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Note how folks like Chomsky make a big deal about disputing whether the Khmer Rouge actually was responsible for the deaths of over a million Cambodian peasants? Even if they werent, they certainly killed more political opponents than Pinochet did. Somehow in that case folks understand that killing political opponents, while wrong and undemocratic, is not in quite the same category as some other atrocities.
            Chomsky did, really? I haven't read Chomsky since high school, but I don't remember reading anything by him that defended the Khmer Rouge. In fact, IIRC he was happy that the Vietnamese got rid of them and rather angry at the American administration for condemning the Vietnamese military operation that knocked the Khmer Rouge from power.

In any case, the Khmer Rouge was definately an order of magniture worse than Pinochet, but how is that relevent to this thread exactly? Pinochet was a bloody-handed tyrant who got a lot better than he deserved, which is hard to dispite...
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

Chomsky did, really? I haven't read Chomsky since high school, but I don't remember reading anything by him that defended the Khmer Rouge. In fact, IIRC he was happy that the Vietnamese got rid of them and rather angry at the American administration for condemning the Vietnamese military operation that knocked the Khmer Rouge from power.

In any case, the Khmer Rouge was definately an order of magniture worse than Pinochet, but how is that relevent to this thread exactly? Pinochet was a bloody-handed tyrant who got a lot better than he deserved, which is hard to dispite...
              There was a long involved debate about how many deaths could be attributed to the KR, and Chomsky was a major participant. I dont think he talks about it much now.

What you say about Pinochet is true, but the same is true of dozens of ex-dictators around the world.

Comment

Amazing how many people defend fascists here. I thought it was generally accepted that Pinochet was a bad person, and yet may comments here echo "Well, 3000 enemies of the regime isn't that bad..."

Rather disgusting, actually.
                Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Originally posted by Tassi
                  Amazing how many people defend fascists here. I thought it was generally accepted that Pinochet was a bad person, and yet may comments here echo "Well, 3000 enemies of the regime isn't that bad..."

3000 enemies of the regime is VERY bad. I was just contesting the Godwinization. Heck, Lenin killed alot more political opponents than that, and HES the great man whose legacy was distorted by teh EEVIL Stalin.

Comment

Yes, it's pretty rich isn't it, witnessing a guy who's sporting Stalin for his avatar posting his indignation over dictators killing off political opponents. And people allegedly not being sufficiently outraged by it.

Statistics, eh?

Comment

OK, from a bit of quick googling it seems that back in the late 70's Chomsky did indeed do a lot to try to minimize the extent of the Khmer Rouge's atrocities.

More recently he has changed his tune to blaming American bombing/CIA shenanigans in Cambodia for destabalizing the country and paving the Khmer Rouge's path to power and came out the US administration rather cynical US denunciation of the Vietnamese for knocking the Khmer Rouge out of power, which makes a certain amount of sense.
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Winston
                        Yes, it's pretty rich isn't it, witnessing a guy who's sporting Stalin for his avatar posting his indignation over dictators killing off political opponents. And people allegedly not being sufficiently outraged by it.
                        If you can quote me where I've seriously defended Stalin and his actions, then I'll let you continue to lovefest with Pinochet. Otherwise, I'm afraid you will have to concede this point to me, Wiggles

Comment

so what do you think of a regime thats STILL hanging dissidents?

On Tuesday the UN General Assembly condemned Iran for human rights abuses and a video - filmed by a Revolutionary Guard, smuggled out by opposition activists and seen by The Observer - is rare evidence of Iran's efforts to quell dissent.

Comment

States that violate the human rights of others, including Iran, deserve our full condemnation.
                            Now, your turn.

Comment

If you can quote me where I've seriously defended Stalin and his actions, then I'll let you continue to lovefest with Pinochet. Otherwise, I'm afraid you will have to concede this point to me, Wiggles
                              And what lovefest might that be? I've said nothing to excuse his murderous actions.

Get rid of that disgusting avatar of yours, and people might actually try entering into a dialogue with you, and not just chastise you for immaturely idolizing a human monster of incomprehensive proportions.

Comment

States that violate the human rights of others, including Iran, deserve our full condemnation.
                                Now, your turn.
                                The govt of chile was a dictatorship, and a bad one. Its a good thing they never had the nuclear bomb.

Comment

Working...
                                X