No announcement yet.

The "Explain Your Username" Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Play of words on the Greek historian, kinda like a loose cannon.
    (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
    (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
    (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

• Pretty simple, actually. It's just my first name plus the year I joined the site. It was a new handle for me, since my usuals were already taken.
      The Apolytoner formerly known as Alexander01
      "God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death." - Hannibal Barca, c. 218 B.C.
      "We can legislate until doomsday but that will not make men righteous." - George Albert Smith, A.D. 1949
      The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report

Comment

• I have always been Asmodean or some derivative of Asmodean since I got on the internet back in '95.

I chose Asmodean because at the time, I was reading Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series. The re is a character in that series by the name of Asmodean. He is an evil sort of guy, but what happens to him (bad stuff) happens to him in such a way that you can't help feeling sorry for him.

So....I came to be Asmodean.

Lately, on more and more sites, I am now choosing the name Hargir. Hargir was the name of my World of Warcraft uber character, and also the name of my current Vanguard: Saga of Heroes character.

Asmodean
        Im not sure what Baruk Khazad is , but if they speak Judeo-Dwarvish, that would be "blessed are the dwarves" - lord of the mark

Comment

• My last name.
          always easy to remember.

Comment

• Originally posted by padillah
            I don't mean t poke fun... but am I the only one that giggles at the phrase "famous Flemish cartographer"?
            Yes

Ever heard of the Mercator map projection? It's the projection world maps in US schools tend to use. He developed it. Ever heard of the term "atlas" for a collection of maps? He coined it.
            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

• when I was about 13 or 14 movies and PBS TV specials based on Tudor England were VERY in. All the characters always had these strings of titles. My dad found it amusing to give me such a string of titles. Somehow "Lord of the Mark of ____" (our street) made its way into the string - not sure if it was his idea, or mine, since I was alreay a Tolkien fan, and he was not.

When it came time to get a nick here, it seemed like a natural one.

The only other place on the net ive used it is at Paradox Forums, and, as Drake dug up, once on a blog.

The extensions to QOTM and POTM just seemed natural also.
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• I've explained it a couple of times. But here goes:
                My first username was Squonk, which was a figure from literature brought into Genesis' song lyrics. It was an extremly ugly creature who was weeping constantly. It desperately needed friendship, and when a hunter pretended to be his friend, he managed to catch the creature easily. Yet, Squonk dissolved into tears completely in hunter's bag.

JayBee (Jesus Balsinde, the greatest civ2 scn creator) laughed at me that my username is Skunk.
                Therefore, I decided to change it.

I was translating one poem into english, and I didn't know one word, and I didn't have an english dictionary. I thought that perhaps it would be similar in french, and so I found it is heresson, and I liked it a lot. It meand "a hedgehog". It was a misprint, actually, my mother told me, but I found true spelling, "Herisson" not only a bit uglier, but also too similar to Provost Harrison". So I sticked to Heresson. I've chosen that name for my handle because I liked it, but also because Jesus' Balsinde's name, Jesus ("Jezus" in polish) sounded a bit like "hedgehog" in polish - "jez".

That's all, folks.
                "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                Middle East!

Comment

• The only other place on the net ive used it is at Paradox Forums, and, as Drake dug up, once on a blog.

God I'm good...
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• God told me to do it.
                    The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

• Mine is the Chinese name given to me by my Chinese teacher. It doesn't translated to English directly, but basically means "one who make great strides in the world" and I've been working to live up to it. But since we don't see the characters and Chinese has limited sounds, DaShi could easily mean things as "big ****," "grand master," or numerous other things as some have playfully pointed out. I've been working to live up to those too.
                      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• One day while talking deadly forms of karate with a co-worker, which went on for awhile.

I told him he forgot one - The Platypus

Rex got added later that day after talking dino's

arn't you glad you posted here
                        anti steam and proud of it

CDO ....its OCD in alpha order like it should be

Comment

• Shouldn't it be "Platypus Wading in Water" or "Bill of the Platypus"?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShi
                            "grand master,"
                            DaShi

Sifu is "Master" not "Grand Master"? In Martial Arts I studied Korean "Sabum Nim" is Grand Master "Kyoso Nim" is Master, Japanese "Master" is DaeHan?? and Grand Master is GaeHan? (VERY Rusty on spelling or English Translation of vocalized training.)

My Master in Taek Soo Chang (Chinese Temple Boxing) was "Sifu" William C. Roy who was a student of the Wushuu Temple of New York City.

Trying to rememebr is all

GT
                            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

• I can't remember sifu that well myself, but I think it's also used as term of respect for an elder or authority figure.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• I use "Stfu" as a term of respect for an elder or authority figure
                                THEY!!111 OMG WTF LOL LET DA NOMADS AND TEH S3D3NTARY PEOPLA BOTH MAEK BITER AXP3REINCES
                                AND TEH GRAAT SINS OF THERE [DOCTRINAL] INOVATIONS BQU3ATH3D SMAL
                                AND!!1!11!!! LOL JUST IN CAES A DISPUTANT CALS U 2 DISPUT3 ABOUT THEYRE CLAMES
                                DO NOT THAN DISPUT3 ON THEM 3XCAPT BY WAY OF AN 3XTARNAL DISPUTA!!!!11!! WTF

Comment

Working...
                                X