What's a southerner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's a southerner?

Are Texas and Florida Southern States? I've always thought they are, but then I'm a Canadian, so what do the real folks in the know have to say?
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Mason-Dixon Line

Mason-Dixon Line, boundary between Pennsylvania and Maryland (running between lat. 39°43'26.3"N and lat. 39°43'17.6"N), surveyed by the English team of Charles Mason, a mathematician and astronomer, and Jeremiah Dixon, a mathematician and land surveyor, between 1763 and 1767. The ambiguous description of the boundaries in the Maryland and Pennsylvania charters led to a protracted disagreement between the proprietors of the two colonies, the Penns of Pennsylvania and the Calverts of Maryland. The dispute was submitted to the English court of chancery in 1735. A compromise between two families in 1760 resulted in the appointment of Mason and Dixon. By 1767 the surveyors had run their line 244 mi (393 km) west from the Delaware border, every fifth milestone bearing the Penn and Calvert arms. The survey was completed to the western limit of Maryland in 1773; in 1779 the line was extended to mark the southern boundary of Pennsylvania with Virginia (present-day West Virginia). Before the Civil War the term “Mason-Dixon Line” popularly designated the boundary dividing the slave states from the free states, and it is still used to distinguish the South from the North.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Texas yes, Florida no (too many j00s and old people).

Comment

Most folks would probably classify them as Southern.

A newsguy name Garreau his written a book called The Nine Nations of North America. He divides the continent up into nine "nations" according to their psychology.

Dallas is where three of the nations come together. East of Dallas is "Dixie," what were traditionally call the southern states. North of Dallas is "The Heatland," the Great Plains states, extending up into Canada. West of Dallas is "MexAmerica," what have been traditionally called the western states.

Florida is also part of "Dixie," except for its southern tip, which is part of "The Islands." With its large Carribean population and serving as a gateway to Latin America, it has more of an island mentality than a Dixie mentality.

Comment

You could consider the south as being synonymous to the states which seceded in 1860-1861. Those states were: Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas. Some people will include Kentucky and West Virginia because of their cultural ties. I think that most people won't include Maryland or Missouri.
          "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Re: What's a southerner?

A traitor
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

ask anyone form georgia or alabama texans arent considered southeren neither are the folks from florida. but i think the carolinas are considered southeren
              When you find yourself arguing with an idiot, you might want to rethink who the idiot really is.
              "It can't rain all the time"-Eric Draven
              Being dyslexic is hard work. I don't even try anymore.

Comment

Missouri was too busy fighting Kansas.

Texas stands alone.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Anything south of Barrie.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand
                    Missouri was too busy fighting Kansas.

Texas stands alone.
                    and partially in debt to illinois
                    "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                    'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

What?

Comment

they rescued you from the confederacy
                        'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

they also saved you from santa anna

Comment

in fact texas shall be known as illinois jr from now on in my book.

Comment

What's a southerner?
                              someone who sounds the same drunk or sober

Comment

Working...
                              X