Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Explain to me why MY life is worth living?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NeOmega
    A lot of people look down on me, because I live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and am "the help".

They live in a 4 bedroom house, and are "the suits".

Now there are a lot of people who live in a 2 bedroom apartment, and are "the help", but wish they lived in a 4 bedroom house, and were "the suits".

These people get depressed.

The above rationalization can be applied to many things, expensive cars, hot women or careers of choice.

Am I supposed to feel sorry for them, because they cannot live up to the expectations they held for themselves as children? NO

They need to grow up, and realize, life is not fair.

Realize, contentment is happiness.

Happiness without contentment is an illusion.

Depression is not a disease, it is a symptom of social conditioning.
    while I do agree with you, it still sucks not getting laid. .

Comment

• Originally posted by Ecthy
      Wasn't your life just the best of all on this planet a few weeks ago?
      yeah. It went downhill pretty quickly. . I don't want to get into it (I've embarrassed myself enough here ), but in summary. Women are evil. I am through with women for good this time. .

Comment

• Originally posted by Dis

while I do agree with you, it still sucks not getting laid. .
        Not getting laid really sucks.

But I mentioned "hot women" for a reason. Many people don't get laid because they don't realize they are losers, and are not going to get an ultra-hot girl, ior a hot girl, or even a lukewarm girl....

....Or because they have it in their brains they have to marry the girls they screw, so they become strange little lying snits who keep claiming they don't want sex. Women like guys who talk dirty and admit they want sex. It just makes things easier for everyone, and lets them know you are indeed honest about at least one thing.

and 22-24 was a tough time for me.
        Pentagenesis for Civ III
        Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
        Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

• talking dirty ehh..

wouldn't that be sexual harrassment?

Comment

• I love Thorn threads. He's the greatest poster ever. . No offense to the rest of you. You're all pretty good.

It really is difficult for me to believe anything he says, so I'm not taking this thread seriously. But it's entertaining nonetheless.

Now for depression talk. Is depression really a disease? I'd say no. Depression can be overcome through sheer will alone. Yes I know of cases of sick people getting better because the patient is optimistic and willful. But I believe that only makes their immune systems better. It doesn't actually cure the disease.

though I've never cured my depression through sheer will alone. there's always been some outside influences. Success at work, success in social life etc. When those things go away, I'm right back in it (as I am now- though I'm still successful at work, so it's not as bad as it has been in the past). But I have heard stories of people overcoming depression.

The key is overcoming negative thoughts. This is easier said than done. As they come automatically. You basically have to trick your mind into ignoring the negative thoughts. I haven't been able to do this, but others have.

Cognitive therapy is also very important. Just as important as drugs. Drugs alone is not a good treatment for depression. But combined with cognitive therapy, it can be useful. It's something I should do. One of these days I will. the hard part is finding a good therapist. Many of them are quacks.

As for taking advice. Some people don't actually want to get better. They like being miserable. And they like the attention it gets. Some people do like to get attention in negative ways (and I admit, sometimes I do this as well). Some women actually harm their children just because of the sympathy it gets from other people. People who cannot get attention by doing positive things, will resort to doing negative things. If they got treatment, they'd just be another joe. Or maybe misery just loves company.

Comment

• Is he dead yet ?
              Would it be really bad taste if we started a poll on how he should kill himself ? We'd all probably get a mention in the news if it was something really inventive like drowning yourself in chicken soup whilst wearing a nurses uniform and listening to mozart
              Learn to overcome the crass demands of flesh and bone, for they warp the matrix through which we perceive the world. Extend your awareness outward, beyond the self of body, to embrace the self of group and the self of humanity. The goals of the group and the greater race are transcendant, and to embrace them is to acheive enlightenment.

Comment

• Originally posted by MORON

The realization that life is unfair do not cause people to go into a lifetime of self-destructive depression.
                You totally missed what I said.

The opposite. If one cannot understand, and accept, that life is not fair, they will suffer depression.
                Pentagenesis for Civ III
                Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

talking dirty ehh..

wouldn't that be sexual harrassment?
                  If she is single, sexual harrasment is a matter of knowing what league you are playing in. Rich millionaire? Sexual harrasment doesn't even happen. Work at the 7-11? It's sexual harrasment?

And sexual harrasment only pertains to the workplace or school.

look... if you try to work the friend angle, guess what you get to be?

Pentagenesis for Civ III
                  Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

that's actually the time I started becoming depressed. Up till I was 21 I was pretty happy.
                    Alcohol, ladies and gentlemen, alcohol.
                    Click here if you're having trouble sleeping.
                    "We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." - François de La Rochefoucauld

Comment

I'll just hop all over this false analogy.

A starving person cannot, through sheer force of will and understanding, make food appear befor etheir eyes.

However, all it takes for a depressed person to undertand their predicament is to understand their position in life, and what got them there.... in other words, personal responibility.
                      Now for depression talk. Is depression really a disease? I'd say no. Depression can be overcome through sheer will alone.
                      This is simply not true. My sister was recently depressed, and she had all of the understanding and will that she could possibly have and the depression still didn't go away for about six months. Without taking any drugs, I'm not sure it would have been possible to get over the depression, at least not in any reasonable amount of time. Depression is different from just being sad; it's a disease. One of its symptoms is being sad, but there's a lot more to it than that.

Comment

• How old is your sister?

Let me guess... in the 12-19 age range.

People now call teenage angst depression. And what do you know, there is a pill for it.

And that pill does nothing but stunt emotional developement, and let people continue to be childish, and cause pain to loved ones, and instead of feeling guilt or remorse, their happy pills make them feel happy. People do not like their feelings ignored, and leave, depression sets in again, and it's off to the doctor to find "the pill that is right for them"

Prozac, zolaft... they are just drugs... just escapes from reality like any other mind altering substance.

Pain exists for a reason. It tells a person what actions are bad. Depression is pain, and using a pain killer encouages a person to continue to put their hand in the fire, so to speak.
                        Last edited by NeOmega; August 14, 2006, 08:40.
                        Pentagenesis for Civ III
                        Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

How old is your sister?

Let me guess... in the 12-19 age range.

People now call teenage angst depression. And what do you know, there is a pill for it.

And that pill does nothing but stunt emotional developement, and let people continue to be childish, and cause pain to loved ones, and instead of feeling guilt or remorse, their happy pills make them feel happy. People do not like their feelings ignored, and leave, depression sets in again, and it's off to the doctor to find "the pill that is right for them"

Prozac, zolaft... they are just drugs... just escapes from reality like any other mind altering substance.

Pain exists for a reason. It tells a person what actions are bad. Depression is pain, and using a pain killer encouages a person to continue to put their hand in the fire, so to speak.
                          Do you have any personal experience with depression?

Comment

• I agree with NeOmega... depression is over diagnosed
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Terra Nullius

Well, D'uhh

Cancer is not a disease, it is a symptom of dietary conditioning.
                              No, its caused by a weak immune system.

Spec.
                              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• I think depressive symptoms signal a need to develop as a human being, to step out of the ordinary routines and see things in a new light. Depressive people like to torture themselves with thoughts like, "I will never have the happiness-bringing things that other people have, therefore I have to destroy myself/others..." etc, ad infinitum. Maybe it's time for the depressive person to reconsider what the things are that actually bring happiness?

Comment

Working...
                                X