X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    Being a scientist's codemonkey
    Ha ha.

Now I remember why I only learned to program once I got to grad school and it was unavoidable.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I know what you mean - went through the same thing. You know you should give a **** but Civ and the internet is just more interesting.

What assignments are you avoiding?
      Yeah...I really should feel guilty. In fact I thought I did at one point but it turned out it was just a bit of indigestion. No joke. I've got a History assignment overdue for my Arts course, a Journalism presentation I -have- to get ready for Thursday (well, there's only 1 time to present it...) and a Plea in Mitigation for Crminal Law. Things are looking up, eh? Still it's only 1st year uni. Could be worse
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

Ha ha.

Now I remember why I only learned to program once I got to grad school and it was unavoidable.
        I'm not a codemonkey! I'm a labmonkey!

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

Life sciences = boring

Sorry, Jag. You lose.
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's even worse than being a codemonkey?
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Depends what you're actually doing. If you're pipetting etc. then Kuci's job is better.

If you're designing/building/repairing experimental equipment then your dick is 18 inches long and you win.
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Once you get to be a graduate student you can stop being a mere codemonkey and start being a codemonkey who knows basic calculus. Conversation in which I was allowed to apply my leet math skills from a month ago:

"So, we should minimize this function of seven parameters. I suggest [insert numerical minimization scheme here]. It will be computationally intense [we're minimizing at millions of different points] but that's life..."

"Errr...isn't the function quadratic in that subset of 5 parameters?"

"Yeah, why?"

"Uh...because then we just have to solve a set of 5 coupled linear equations for those parameters, and only have to numerically minimize in a 2-d space"

"Oh, yeah"

Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I start on the 5th. We'll see how it is pretty soon.

I do know basic calculus, unless "basic" to you is more than the AP calc BC curriculum, which is fairly tame.

Comment

Read my example.

Basic calculus = knowing that if a function is positive quadratic in a set of x variables then the minimum can be found by solving an associated set of x linear equations.

I was laughing about the fact that 90% of the time spent on research doesn't involve any thinking at all.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

90% of the time spent on almost any job doesn't involve any thinking at all.

Comment

Untrue. 99.999% of the time spent on most jobs doesn't involve any thinking at all.

100% for some jobs (businessman, Senator etc)
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I suggest reading Bukowski or seeing a Bukowski-movie. I saw Factotum yesterday (and today). Don't think it's showing in the us. If I'm correct Bukowski is more popular in europe - not so well liked in the us...

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Ha ha.

To be fair, though, I learn a lot from the programming. Last year I had to write a program to do RBS analysis.

Comment

(Though on that I had a lot of help from the other scientists with the math, and was just left to myself doing the GUI and other non-science-intense parts.)

Comment

The blind leading the blind, anyone?

Eh, deaf maybe but not blind.

The advice I think is still good.
                                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Working...
                                X