X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by notyoueither
    I notice a lack of contact sports.

How many years, at what age?
    Even hockey isn't a contact sport when you're a kid. And football just plain sucks.

I played Baseball for 4 years (whilst in California, Soccer for 6 years (2 in Calgary, 4 in California), and Tennis for 3 years (all in California). All while in late elementary school and jr. high.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• I can just see a football coach wanting his players to share the love with the oppo just before kickoff with a playoff spot on the line.

Yeah. That would be something never seen before.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I can just see a football coach wanting his players to share the love with the oppo just before kickoff with a playoff spot on the line.
        It's called being a good sport.

And hey, if they were doing some kind of tribute to Jerry Rice, I think the other team would actually gain a lot from watching it, as well.

Seeing greats having their jerseys retired is an inspiring event, one that motivates players. They're all players of the same game, seeing one of the best honoured should be inspiring.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• Originally posted by Asher

Even hockey isn't a contact sport when you're a kid. And football just plain sucks.

I played Baseball for 4 years (whilst in California, Soccer for 6 years (2 in Calgary, 4 in California), and Tennis for 3 years (all in California). All while in late elementary school and jr. high.
          So, no contact sports it is then.

Even then, a soccer team is not likely to share love with an oppo with an important match just about to be played.

The problem with the MacInnis situation was the timing.

St Loius were causing problems with when they scheduled it, no matter when they set the schedule.

Expecting a team in a playoff race with 4 games to go to participate is quite simply retarded.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• Oh, and hockey was contact when I was playing it as a kid.

You kids now days are too coddled.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

So, no contact sports it is then.
              This ain't some stupid history paper, nye. You can't randomly pull in random facts and arbitrarily apply them to arguments and end them 'QED'.

Contact sports have nothing to do with this. It's about respecting players, especially those which are regarded as one of the best evers.

The problem with the MacInnis situation was the timing.

St Loius were causing problems with when they scheduled it, no matter when they set the schedule.

Expecting a team in a playoff race with 4 games to go to participate is quite simply retarded.
              We get it, the timing sucked. So your GM should've protested it formally well before it happened -- he did not.

As such, the ceremony went ahead. Edmonton gained nothing by sitting in the locker room during the ceremony except looking like completely unsportsmanlike tools (especially Pronger, who played on the same line as MacInnis for years and is supposedly a good friend). No one won, except St. Louis who used the opportunity to get inspired while Edmonton used the opportunity to get bored.

It was a bad call on MacTavish's part, regardless of the timing. The ceremony went ahead, the right thing to do was to pay your respects, not throw a hissy fit and not attend.

Comment

Oh, and hockey was contact when I was playing it as a kid.

You kids now days are too coddled.
                And you're a good example why it's no longer contact as kids -- any damage to the brains of pre-adolescents can marketedly hamper future brain development.

Comment

We get it, the timing sucked. So your GM should've protested it formally well before it happened -- he did not.
                  You obviously don't get it since you want to continue to argue that the Oilers should have participated, and that the fact they did not is a good reason to carry a grudge.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

And you're a good example why it's no longer contact as kids -- any damage to the brains of pre-adolescents can marketedly hamper future brain development.
                    Correct me if I'm wrong.

Who among us takes pills for a brain disorder?
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Who among us takes pills for a brain disorder?
                      Ooo, there you go again.

You take the booze, I take the Celexa.

It doesn't affect the part of the brain dealing with intelligence and problem-solving.

Comment

• However, it does effect behaviour, and it makes us all love you so very much.

Oh, and when you have a brain disorder it's a really bad idea to try to insult other people on the topic, don't you think?

Of course, that could be part of the problem. Insulting without thinking.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

You obviously don't get it since you want to continue to argue that the Oilers should have participated
                          You continue to amaze me with your inability to use reasoning.

If the timing is bad, the GM's job is to protest it to the league. They did not.

As such, the fact that the timing is bad does not matter any more. The ceremony is going forward, the team is there. Nothing can be gained by sitting out the performance, so there is no reason to sit out of the performance unless you are an unsportsmanlike baby throwing a hissy fit, which is what MacTavish is doing. And Edmonton's fans, being classy people like tehcumseh who posts new threads each time Edmonton beats Calgary and people such as yourself that don't see a problem with sitting out of ceremonies, stick to the party line.

Edmonton is becoming an embarrassment to the province, if not the nation. You have idiots rioting in the streets, stabbing people, starting bonfires; you have a coach and players that refuse to honour one of the game's greats; an you've got people online who constantly bring out the HOW MANY CUPS line whenever they can.

Comment

• And yes, Ninot, you did start this. Congrats.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

You continue to amaze me with your inability to use reasoning.
                              Why do you have such a problem with a team deciding not to participate in a ceremony that was ill conceived in it's timing?
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

However, it does effect behaviour, and it makes us all love you so very much.

Oh, and when you have a brain disorder it's a really bad idea to try to insult other people on the topic, don't you think?

Of course, that could be part of the problem. Insulting without thinking.
                                Who says I'm trying to insult? I'm observing. You've got some seriously funky reasoning skills that never cease to amaze me -- up there with Agathon and Urban Ranger, in fact -- and now that you admit to playing contact sports as a kid, it all makes sense to me now. Agathon played contact rugby as a kid, as it happens.

The fact that I openly admit to having chemical imbalances naturally occuring in my brain should not stop me from observing brain dysfunction in other people. It's a fact of life.

Comment

Working...
                                X