Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Explain how a team that lost only 28 games by the end of regulation is .500, dumbass.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

• They only won 50% of their games.

Meaning, they lost the other 50%.

Games don't end in regulation... or else, there wouldn't be overtime.

dumas
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Let's do a simple exercise here.

Since there are no more ties... there are two options for the end result of a game:

Using process of elimination, if a team doesn't win the game they _____ the game.

Fill in the blank.
        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sava
          They only won 50% of their games.

Meaning, they lost the other 50%.

Games don't end in regulation... or else, there wouldn't be overtime.

dumas
          They didn't lose all the points in the other 50%, oh sage.

They came out with 95 points out of 164 by the rules of the league.

Would you like a laptop that toddlers learn to count with?
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Let's do a simple exercise here.

Since there are no more ties... there are two options for the end result of a game:

Using process of elimination, if a team doesn't win the game they _____ the game.

Fill in the blank.
            'got points by current rules of the league'
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

• And it's silly that a team gets rewarded for losing...

Regardless of what the NHL awards points for, Edmonton still only won 50% of their games... making them a .500 team

Points don't factor into this. The NHL could award teams points for the number of games they shut out an opponent... or the number of games they lost by only one goal... it has no bearing on Winning Percentage.

The only variables in this equation are Games Played and Wins.

The sooner you accept this, the less of a dumbass you will look like.

Hell, if it were the Blackhawks, I would have no problem admitting this truth. But then again, I don't let my love of the team blind myself of reality.
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• The problem, Sava, is that the games were played under certain rules.

Make it baseball. No ties. Overtime til result every night there is a tie.

The Oilers would have finished with more or less than 41 wins. But that isn't the system they played under, and in the system they played under they are over .500.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

• Aside from which, the Oilers of the first half are not the Oilers of the second half, and then again the playoffs.

Two key players acquired at the trade deadline needed time to work in. Now they have and Detroit and SJ can go golf.

They made the playoffs by the rules of the league, fewer RT losses than Colorado, Montreal, or Tampa Bay if I might point out, and now they are where they are because they have earned every inch of it.

So stop your whining.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                    The problem, Sava, is that the games were played under certain rules.

Make it baseball. No ties. Overtime til result every night there is a tie.

The Oilers would have finished with more or less than 41 wins. But that isn't the system they played under, and in the system they played under they are over .500.
                    I know you are probably confused because you look at the NHL standings and it seems like Edmonton is a better team because it says 41 wins, 28 losses... 13 overtime losses.

I understand how this can be confusing. So I'm not holding this against you...

However, you are only digging yourself deeper.

There are no more ties. Games are now resolved with a clear result.

The Oilers lost those games that went to overtime that you speak of... 13 times. I'm not clear of how many OT games they won because that stat isn't tracked in most standings.

However, this means with the 28 games they lost in regulation and the 13 OT losses, they lost a total of 41 games.

Their record... pure wins and pure losses was 41-41.

That is a .500 record.

Thanks

Come again.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• Fewer RT losses than 3 other teams that made the playoffs and every team that missed the playoffs, so suck my left ball, whiner.
                      (\__/)
                      (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither
                        because they have earned every inch of it.
                        No... because a flaw in how the standings are scored gave a team with less wins (the Oilers) a playoff spot instead of a team with more wins (Vancouver).

They didn't earn jack****. They got in by a technicality.

They beat Detroit and San Jose. Whoopity doo... it just shows how watered down and mediocre the league as a whole has become.

Oh... and Roloson was 8-7-4 with the Oilers in the regular season... in 19 games after he was acquired.

1 game over .500 by NHL rules... 8-11 overall

So who are you crappin' about these key additions making them a much better team?

They've been good in the playoffs (or their opponents were bad), but they were a .500 team in the regular season... before and after the "key additions".

Oh wait, I just checked their schedule. They were actually below .500 during the regular season in the months of March and April.

11 wins, 13 losses

5 OT losses

11-8-5 by NHL rules
                        Last edited by Sava; May 18, 2006, 00:14.
                        To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

• BELIEVE!
                          "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
                          "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
                          "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

No... because a flaw in how the standings are scored gave a team with less wins (the Oilers) a playoff spot instead of a team with more wins (Vancouver).
                            Again, fewer RT losses (four fewer as a matter of fact). Don't forget those, dear.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

• Originally posted by cinch

BELIEVE!
                              I believe now.

This team could go all the way.
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)

Comment

• hey

If Edmonton and Carolina end up being in the Finals

do you think anyone will care?

(other than Edmonton fans)

way to go with the new NHL

it's on par with............ women's basketball!!!

w00t!

I cry for my favorite sport.

Maybe the league will fold and they can start over. At this point, that's probably the best thing that can happen.

I think I might actually have to root for Carolina... just because I don't think there are any Hurricanes fans.

I bet if you polled people in Carolina, less than 10% would know the name of the NHL team there.
                                To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                                X