Church + Girlfriend problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Sn00py
    The bible instructs believers not to let anyone go.. to save everyone.
    The bible also instructs believers to sell their belongings, give the proceeds to the poor, and live a simple life.

You don't see many doing that, particularly not somebody such as Falwall, Robertson, and Graham. And, as you noted, none of the pastors of that church.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The bible also instructs believers to sell their belongings, give the proceeds to the poor, and live a simple life.
        I thought you were supposed to cut the soles out of your shoes, climb a tree and learn to play the flute. So many wierd rules, it's hard to keep track.
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

• save yourself, before it's too late.
          I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
          [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

• her belief is to save lives, which requires not accepting people's beliefs.
            Snoopy, does she believe that it is possible to convert someone against their will?

That's not how it should be. You can encourage someone to join while at the same time accepting their rejection if they choose to refuse the invitation. That's the whole point, you can only save someone if they are willing to be saved.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• She's willing to end her relationship with Snoopy, not if he doesn't believe in God or in Christ, but if he's not a member of her church.
              Yes, and I already explained above why there's a big difference between marrying someone and making friends outside of church.

Many cults also encourage their members to go out and bring in new people. You can't exactly grow if you keep utterly to yourselves.
              Agreed wholeheartedly. This doesn't mean that you can't make friends outside the church, while at the same time marrying someone inside the church.

The primary distingushing characteristic of a cult is thought control, and this group is most definately practicing thought control.
              What, in preaching and teaching? By your definition the communist party is a cult since they have much more explicit surveillance and thought control.
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• The bible also instructs believers to sell their belongings, give the proceeds to the poor, and live a simple life.

You don't see many doing that, particularly not somebody such as Falwall, Robertson, and Graham. And, as you noted, none of the pastors of that church.
                Yes, because people are people. If we were perfect, we wouldn't need God.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
                  By your definition the communist party is a cult since they have much more explicit surveillance and thought control.
                  I never said they weren't.
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

I never said they weren't.
                    How much thought control makes a cult? Many Orthodox Jews will only read a book on religion if its "kosher" = its received a stamp of approval from a rabbi they respect. Thus insulating themselves from other religions, other forms of Judaism, humanism, etc. OTOH they WILL be exposed to forms of Orthodoxy other than the one they belong, and may well see criticisms of the leaders of the subgroup they belong to. Thought control is a habit of illiberal groups in general - to become a cult, IMO, the thought control has to extend to any criticism of the group and its leader, even from ideologically similar groups. (By this definition only Szatmar comes close to cultlike status withing Judaism, in my understanding - Chabad has some cultlike attributes but is far more open to outside exposure)
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Do others read this as I do?
                      Ben, when did you turn into a sophist? - If we all were philosophers we would need no gods" or some such...
                      "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                      "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Why do we need a god even if we weren't perfect? Clean up after us? Pad us on the head and say "it's all right?"

Besides, even if were perfect it doesn't mean we wouldn't die.
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• I got a question for ya..

How come this guy named Jesus was so incredibly intelligent/wise/amazing compared to everyone else that has EVER lived?

How come the story is so deep, that no other story has ever been deeper?

I guess this is why Jesusism (Yes, I made that up ) is so popular?
                          be free

Comment

• A few billion people would disagree with all of your premises
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• Do others read this as I do?
                              Ben, when did you turn into a sophist? - If we all were philosophers we would need no gods" or some such...
                              Not sure why you see it this way. All I said is that we need God in our lives because we are sinful people.

Why do we need a god even if we weren't perfect? Clean up after us? Pad us on the head and say "it's all right?"

Besides, even if we're perfect it doesn't mean we wouldn't die
                              If we wish to be sinners we don't need God at all. But then we suffer the consequences of this decision throughout our lives.

Secondly, actually if we were perfect we should not die. For the wages of sin are death.

Comment

• How come this guy named Jesus was so incredibly intelligent/wise/amazing compared to everyone else that has EVER lived?
                                Because he is both God and man.

How come the story is so deep, that no other story has ever been deeper?
                                Because it's truth and all. After all, isn't truth stranger then fiction?

Comment

Working...
                                X