How much time a day do you pray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues"

while its not good to pray for the sake of your own repute, of course Jews ARE required halachically to pray together in a group on certain occasions. There are certain memorial prayers for the dead that can ONLY be said with a minyan ( a prayer quorom of ten Jews) and so its a mitzvah (commandment, good deed, meritorious act) to join in. On Shabbos its a mitzvah to pray with a minyan and to read from a torah. Places that have torah scrolls and hold regular minyans ARE synagogues. Praying in a dark room is hardly a desirable alternative. We are a community, and we pray as a community, not just as solitary individuals (though there are times when that is appropriate)
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

How could He who gave victory to
      "the few over the many, the weak over the mighty, and the righteous over the wicked" possibly be a Yankee fan?
      Who said it was THAT god? I hear that Zeus just loves the Yanks.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I don't remember the last time I prayed outloud

almost all my prayers are silent

I pray for every meal (eating out or not)

I also only occasionally go to church, anywhere between once every two weeks, to going a year without going to church

Jon Miller
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
          I don't remember the last time I prayed outloud
          singing say, Avinu Malkeinu, silently, would lose its emotional power.

Or Lecha Dodi, for that matter.

Or Kaddish. Especially the congregational responses to the mourners Kaddish. The mourners rising, and saying Kaddish, and the rest of the congregation recognizing their status, and validating them with the responses, is one of the more powerful moments in Jewish prayer, IMHO.
          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

oh, I do like singing at times.. (see hymns or psalms or even newer church songs)

and I think that prayer can be good outloud.. I just don't usually do so

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I last had an invisible friend when I was about 5.
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

I'm quite fond of that old aphorism that he who sings prays twice.

Or Kaddish. Especially the congregational responses to the mourners Kaddish. The mourners rising, and saying Kaddish, and the rest of the congregation recognizing their status, and validating them with the responses, is one of the more powerful moments in Jewish prayer, IMHO.
                Yes I miss my rosary group up here also. Just not the same to say the prayer silently.
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                  0 minutes total for all of my life.
                  ditto

although I am not counting the times as a kid when I was forced to pray

but there has been no time in my life when I have consciously and willingly sat down and prayed to anything or anyone

and yelling, "dear god baby jesus my lord and savior please help the bears score" during a game doesn't count
                  To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

If it did, Sava, you could be Pope.
                    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Imagine the "Historical Filth" article on THAT...

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

"I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I am so proud to see that over 3/4 of the people are godless heathens
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I pray for sex every day. :

Comment

Originally posted by Dis
                              I pray for sex every day. :
                              I suppose being charming and handsome isn't working?
                              "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                              "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                              2004 Presidential Candidate
                              2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

handsome isn't going to happen, I'm still working on charming.

Comment

Working...
                                X