How much time a day do you pray?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hardly ever talk to myself.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
      The stat was the church members spend ~1 minute a day in prayer, and pastors ~5 minutes.

Jon Miller
      They might as well lay it off completely then...

As I did
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi
        Revealing how little or much you pray is sinful because it leads to pride and envy.
        Why? Is praying regarded as a good deed or something?
        Praying is 'just' talking to your father, God.
        Formerly known as "CyberShy"
        Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
          I don't pray. God told me not to.
          I thought he was talking to me!
          What?

Comment

Go team atheism
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

With 70% of the Polytubbies, I think our team is a fairly clear winner here
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Does sacrificing a lamb on the keyboard praying windows won't go down count ? If not 0.
                With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Between 5-10 minutes/days.

Not so much.
                  bleh

Comment

@Spiff
                    Quantitās contra Qualitas
                    bleh

Comment

Originally posted by cronos_qc
                      Quantitās contra Qualitas
                      OTOH, my daddy can beat up your daddy
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty Scaevola
                        I burn leftover pizza as a sacrifice to the The Dice God. Dice do not fail me.
                        And you're in Texas? I sense that you are in serious danger...
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

id have a hard time estimating, JM.

It varies so much. On shabbos, the service lasts from 9:30 AM to just past noon. But we often dont arrive at the start - most people dont. And its quite acceptable to leave the sanctuary at different points in the service, whether to heed the call of nature, or just stretch your legs, and to chat with a friend. And the time period includes sermon, torah reading, announcements, etc.

And i dont go every saturday morning, and almost never pray the Sabbath morning service at home.

On Friday night we usually have a shabbos dinner, including the prayers over wine and bread. POTM "reminds" me to do the prayer over washing the hands. We often forget to do the grace after meals.

I seldom do formal prayers during the week, but sometimes do - prayers over food more often than the standard daily prayers, which i usually only do if i find myself in shul.

I do often try to say a "thank you" for things I notice that I want to be thankful for - whether its a family member, a beautiful day, whatever. Sometimes its not formulated in words, but is just a feeling of gratitude. I find these are helpful in living life.

So prayer time can be anything from a wisp of feeling, lasting a fraction of a second, to a service lasting hours. Theyre such different experiences, with such different mental states (Kavanahs, translated as intention or concentration) that i dont think it even makes sense to add them.
                          "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I see that lotm and AH have already covered the ground.

And when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites; for they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by men. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you." (Matthew 6:3-6 RSV)
                            I also second lotm in saying that I ought to pray more.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

0 minutes. Neither religious nor spiritual.

I can become occasionally irrational during the baseball season/playoffs, but any delusion that "God" is a Yankee fan was dispelled permanently in October of 2004. So that's out too. In Ca$hmoney* I trust.

-Arrian

* - Brian Cashman, general manager of the Yankees, who sports the best name-job symmetry ever.
                              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                                0 minutes. Neither religious nor spiritual.

I can become occasionally irrational during the baseball season/playoffs, but any delusion that "God" is a Yankee fan was dispelled permanently in October of 2004. So that's out too. In Ca$hmoney* I trust.

-Arrian

* - Brian Cashman, general manager of the Yankees, who sports the best name-job symmetry ever.
                                How could He who gave victory to
                                "the few over the many, the weak over the mighty, and the righteous over the wicked" possibly be a Yankee fan?
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X