No announcement yet.

CANPOL: Today is election day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On centralization issues, the BQ will vote with the Conservatives. Other than that, not much.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Hmm, the star's site lists Martin as having won, though they called several elections earlier than other sites i saw ...

http://cac28.insinc.com/cponline/ele.../elxn_eng.html btw is what i'm reading results from
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
        How will BQ align typically, since they look to have a decent shot at being the deciding vote?
        On social issues, they're liberals. But then again, they're mostly separatists and you can get strange bedfellows under that blanket.
        What?

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
          On centralization issues, the BQ will vote with the Conservatives. Other than that, not much.
          As in they won't vote, or they won't vote alongside the conservatives often?

I presume then that the Liberals will still generally carry the day, since it looks like the Cons won't outpoll liberal+NDP (though in a close race), and I presume NDP will usually side with the Liberals before they'd side with the Conservatives?
          <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
          I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Again, depends on the issue. The NDP and the Cons are together on parliamentary reforms/oversight (however minor it may actually be). The NDP will likely be more at odds with the Cons over some budget issues, though.
            "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
            "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
            "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
              Greens lead in one! Go, go!
              Yeah, that was cool to see - as brief as it was. Good PR.

Comment

I presume then that the Liberals will still generally carry the day, since it looks like the Cons won't outpoll liberal+NDP (though in a close race), and I presume NDP will usually side with the Liberals before they'd side with the Conservatives?
                The latter.

Generally, the Conservatives are on the right, Liberals are in the center, and BQ, NDP, and the Greens are on the left.

But there are issues like federalism that skew this somewhat.
                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                  Again, depends on the issue. The NDP and the Cons are together on parliamentary reforms/oversight (however minor it may actually be). The NDP will likely be more at odds with the Cons over some budget issues, though.
                  We live in interesting times.
                  What?

Comment

Quebec surprised me-- both the Libs and Cons did better than I expected-- Apparently the Liberals will hold the island of Montreal and not much else
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Honestly, how can anyone vote Liberal? Vote NDP or Con, not Liberal.

They're criminals and need a timeout.
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Originally posted by snoopy369

The magic number is 155. If the Liberals and NDP can't combine for it (and they won't), then it doesn't matter that they have more than the Conservatives. Now if the Conservatives and the NDP combine for 155+, then it gets interesting.
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

• Originally posted by Flubber
                          Quebec surprised me-- both the Libs and Cons did better than I expected-- Apparently the Liberals will hold the island of Montreal and not much else
                          And the Conservatives won 3 or 4 seats around Quebec city. It's that whole Habs - Nordiques rivalry all over again.

Hockey
                          What?

Comment

• Overall the Cons will be quite happy with the win BUT I thnk they will be disappointed with a seat count in the 120s

Interesting as it stands, the NDP support will not be enough for them to reach 154-- but 2 seats not reported

WE may get a situation again where the governing party plus the NDP is very close to exactly half the seats
                            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• As I predicted the Avalon seat was a clear conservavice win but the Gander seat stayed true to its Liberal roots

So in declared seats its

Conservatives +1 Libs - 1
                              Trying to find the riding by riding results. CBC is spotty so far.
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Why would NDP support the Consies?
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X