CANPOL: Today is election day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

11 minutes apart. Impressive.
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

The ultimate doublepost.
      <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
      I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Tories take lead only 50 seats into Ontario!
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
          Tories take lead only 50 seats into Ontario!
          l

Remember that results from Quebec to Alberta are all coming in at once
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Yeah, but they were putting up numbers from Ontario very early.

Alberta reporting and the Tories are over 80 and close to combined Lib-NDP.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

The talking head from the PC in Quebec already conceded that he was thinking of a minority only
              What?

Comment

They're giving Goodale as reelected.
                What?

Comment

They're calling a Cons. minority
                  What?

Comment

As an outsider, it's interesting to see what looks like a huge disparity between % votes and # elected. Using the Star's online live election results tracker, it looks to me like the conservatives win a much greater % of votes than of seats - they won 35% of Novia Scotia to the Liberals' 38, yet they won 3 seats to the Liberals' 6. Nearly every province is similar - the liberals win a much larger share of the seats than they earn via percentage.

I presume this is the incumbent effect ... makes you wonder what the parliament will be like in a decade or so, if the voting percentages stay in a similar proportion...

Comment

Originally posted by Richelieu
                      They're calling a Cons. minority
                      Yep, 7 mins past the close of BC polls, none of which have been reported yet. This was always a great source of bitterness to me as a British Columbian - the election was always decided before our votes were counted.

Comment

Originally posted by snoopy369
                        As an outsider, it's interesting to see what looks like a huge disparity between % votes and # elected. Using the Star's online live election results tracker, it looks to me like the conservatives win a much greater % of votes than of seats - they won 35% of Novia Scotia to the Liberals' 38, yet they won 3 seats to the Liberals' 6. Nearly every province is similar - the liberals win a much larger share of the seats than they earn via percentage.

I presume this is the incumbent effect ... makes you wonder what the parliament will be like in a decade or so, if the voting percentages stay in a similar proportion...
                        Check the official site, snoopy. I think you have the numbers backwards.
                        ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Greens lead in one! Go, go!
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

Well, it was a brief survey of the atlantic provinces. I was only looking at 'called' elections, thus mostly the east.

Comment

How will BQ align typically, since they look to have a decent shot at being the deciding vote?

Comment

No. That's not only the situation with the Liberals. You see the same trend in Conservative bastions like Alberta. In any FPTP system the legislative margin of victory tends to be much larger than the electoral margin.

Apparantly Martin's seat is threatened. His BQ opponent is barely ahead.
                                "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                                -Bokonon

Comment

Working...
                                X