Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Issue That Counts: Which Country Produces The Best Beer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as mass market goes, I'd have to go with Belgium. There's some very very nice Belgian beers.

But for beer, period it's definately America far and away. The number of American microbrews are HUGE and there are a lot of really excellent beers that usually clean up in international beer competitions. I'm surprised that so few people know this, I guess its just that all the beer that America exports is **** (except for Sam Adams).
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Ninot
      While Most Canadian beer is just as bland and boring as American beer, all of it is better than the american equivalent.

And while I vote Irish, I claim that there are many truly fine Quebec Microbreweries.
      Yeah when I went to Quebec I was very very impressed with the quality (and high alcohol content) of Quebec microbrews. Some very nice hefeweizens and a 10$ alcohol dark beer that I'd love to have again...

Ontario on the other hand....
      stupid beer stores...
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

There is no such thing as good Asian beer.
        I call this blatant beerism!

Sapporo is teh best. But from what I've heard, drinking it when its fresh instead of imported is a whole other animal. Too bad I gotta frigging fly to Japan to test that theory...
        Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
        Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
        *****Citizen of the Hive****
        "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Frankychan

I call this blatant beerism!

Sapporo is teh best. But from what I've heard, drinking it when its fresh instead of imported is a whole other animal. Too bad I gotta frigging fly to Japan to test that theory...
          Japanese beer is passable, Asahi is definately a lot better than Sapporo.
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I cannot say whose mass-market beers are best, but American mass market beer caused me to avoid beer totally until I was in my late 30's. If I had to imagine was cold bottled horse piss tasted like, that is what it would in my nightmares. Then I was invited to a brewing club, and my eyes were opened wide.

So American mass market beer is probably one of the worst in the world. However, the American micro-brew market, as per Boshko's remark, is truly phenominal. You can find anything, the only problem is that it is a constantly changing market. We had this phenominal Dopple Bock with the kick of wine locally, and then the resturant/brew pub where it was made folded post 9/11.

The are excellent pale ales, begian ales, porters, stouts, oatmeal stouts, and lagers to name some of my favorites. I have tried various import beers, and no one country can match the width and breadth of the US microbrew scene. If you haven't, you really need to go to a good US beer fest and see what is out there.
            The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
            And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
            Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
            Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

I have tried various import beers, and no one country can match the width and breadth of the US microbrew scene.
              Of course you went to Belgium before saying that?
              Who tested the small breweries of more than one country? Czecks, belgians, americans... all have a lot of small breweries not well-known outside their neighborhood and the few connoiseurs.
              Clash of Civilization team member
              (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
              web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

Germany doesn't need all this discussion about microbrews. While in the US you have to look for beer that's good, in Germany you have to look for beer that isn't. Hence, we win.

Comment

I've never had an American microbrew, but clearly the export brands are doing their very best to convince us yanks can't make decent beer.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Zoidberg
                    There´s Kronenbourg, but´s not worth drinking. Tastes like water and looks like diluted piss.

edit: x-post
                    The export one is pretty good.

I voted Belgium, not really shocking is it.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I voted for Ireland cos I now prefer darker beers rather than lagers. As I have said before, the Guinness you get here is excellent and far better than the mediocre stuff brewed and sold in the UK.

If I were to vote for lager I would pick either Holland or Belgium.

The banana beer mentioned earlier is actually quite nice. Not to drink regularly but if you want something different occasionally it's quite interesting.

As for french beer, Tesco's do an own brand french wheat beer which is quite passable, particularly with a ploughman's lunch on a nice sunny day.
                      Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Originally posted by CerberusIV
                        I voted for Ireland cos I now prefer darker beers rather than lagers. As I have said before, the Guinness you get here is excellent and far better than the mediocre stuff brewed and sold in the UK.
                        Guinness in the UK is imported from the St James' Gate brewery, Dublin - although thats only a recent change. Its also a reason why I drink Guinness again.

I prefer Guinness Extra Cold draught, but I'm sometimes wonder how different it really is and whether its just some marketing gimmick.
                        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

I see Germany is winning. A worthy country of the title. As I say, I am still deciding myself. I wonder if Ecthy has got all his DLs to vote
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Where is the beer Baron vF?
                            One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Who knows, he hasn't been around for some time
                              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

BvF = double DL

Comment

Working...
                                X