Jihad on Burger King

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GePap

What is it with you and irrelevant tangents? And since when is tha ADL the only Jewish group out there?

its not irrelevant at all, it gets to the heart of the discussion - is the reason for muslim complaints that (many) muslims are unreasonable, or is it just that the West is less familiar with muslim symbols.

I think the swirl looks just as much like a Jewish symbol as it does like the Muslim one that is claimed. Of course the Hebrew letters are unfamiliar to you, as is the name "shaddai" - which contradicts your assertion that the West is generally familiar with Jewish symbols.

I referred to the ADL cause thats the group that usually handles antisemitism issues. Theres a considerable degree of division of labor among mainstream Jewish orgs.

But i doubt that you would get a mainstream Orthodox group, say the OU, or Chabad, complaining either. You certainly wouldnt get them supporting a boycott, since Burger King (outside of Israel) is not Kosher.

I assume the muslim group in question is mainstream, and is analogous to the ADL. Do you have evidence to the contrary?
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

The question being, why the **** should you give a damn about the choices he made? Did you have a vested interest in that exact BK ice cream symbol? Does it make any difference to you what it looks like? Sp what then is the problem for you, anyone here for that matter?

That is what makes this thread just as absurd. People talk about how if this guy had been offended, he should just avoid it, but because they are for some reason offended by his actions, they have to start blathering about it and making a thread.
      OMG!!!! They made a thread!! On Poly, of all places. Lets start blathering about how silly that is!
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I think that ice cream swirl looks like a pile of dog poo
        The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Why did the empire cease to be final?
          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It didn't. It's of course both majestic and final
            The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Originally posted by our_man
              At least you agree with me that Muslims tend to take greater offence at things than other do, and what I have been trying to say all along is that they are getting upset over things which they shouldn't be. Why should they care over a silly lid? It's not as if BK did it intentionally.
              The Muslim community overall is obviously more religious than the Christian communities of the West.

Not an issue of religion, just religiosity.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

To show my disdain for Islam, I will now go eat at Burger King!
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

making a statement and getting fed at the same time

Comment

Au contraire, they've bent over, so you have to boycott there.

Personally, I take serious issue with any company that uses a steaming pile of crap as it's icecream drawing.
                    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• You knew it was bound to happen.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Originally posted by Az

Au contraire, they've bent over, so you have to boycott there.

Personally, I take serious issue with any company that uses a steaming pile of crap as it's icecream drawing.
                        have you ever actually looked at soft serve ice cream?

Comment

• yes. let's not talk about this ever again.
                          urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
                            "Undue influence"? you think if BK put a cross on the top of that, or a star of David, or a smiling Buddha on top, there would be no protest? .

There's no comparison- look at the design on the lid of the ice cream cone, for heaven's sake.

Do you in your wildest imaginings believe that a Star of David, fat Buddha, or crucifix in any way resemble an ice cream swirl ?

By the way, the U.K. has seen opposition from organised Christian groups to 'Jerry Springer: The Opera' :

The BBC is bracing itself for further criticism after it screened Jerry Springer - The Opera on Saturday.
                            Hundreds of Christian protesters rallied outside BBC buildings before and during the broadcast on BBC Two.

At least 45,000 people contacted the BBC about the show, mainly to complain about swearing and religious themes.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

but thankfully the broadcast (and the tour) are going ahead.

It contains explicit imagery and language which may be potentially more offensive to both Muslims and Christians who both hold Jesus to be a prophet.

And yet Burger King yield to threats over an abstract design that bears little resemblance to the supposed point of offence.

A mad world, my masters.
                            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• I found this on another forum, and I thought it was brilliant.

On the brighter side, if you write "Allah" and turn it on its side, it looks like ice cream!
                              I no longer use this account.

Comment

• BK's new chicken fries are pretty tasty.

That is all.
                                "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                                "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                                "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Working...
                                X