This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You want proof of this?
    Yes, I want to see the rules where it says this.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• You have proof by the tradition. If you just depend on the 'rules' in college football's BCS, you will be sorely disappointed, as Cal was last year (I forgot it was last year... and I don't think they changed anything on that aspect in the offseason)
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• You haven't watched the Big 10 much if you think Ohio State will lose two more games. Frankly, I think the only game that'll give them any trouble will be Michigan, and I think they win that one by 10 at least.
        I don't think they'll lose two more... They'll beat Northwestern and then lose by a hair to Michigan to finish 8-3.

And by the way, the two conferences I watch the most of are the Big Ten and the SEC. Hence why I talk about them so much in my BCS posts, and why I'd tell anyone who intimates that the SEC is "down" that they're completely out of their ****ing minds. The axiom is just as true in college as it is in the pros: Offense wins games, defense wins championships.

Yes, I want to see the rules where it says this.
        Imran said it better than I could.
        Last edited by reismark; November 8, 2005, 21:15.
        CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
        Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
        Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
        Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• I don't think Michigan is good enough to knock off Ohio State, frankly. Hart will make the game close, but those great linebackers for OSU will make sure he doesn't beat them.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
            You have proof by the tradition. If you just depend on the 'rules' in college football's BCS, you will be sorely disappointed, as Cal was last year (I forgot it was last year... and I don't think they changed anything on that aspect in the offseason)
            What exactly is "proof by tradition", counseler? Do you mean precedent?

Imran said it better than I could.
            I'm a little disappointed. That's it?
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I hate to keep beating this drum, but "everybody" is saying that if ND wins out, it's going to host the Fiesta Bowl, despite any precedent mentioned by reismark. Are they just jerking off ND fans? Are they ignorant of the all-powerful precedent? For instance, the following...

"Of course we'd take them [ND] in a New York minute if the bowl picture somehow changed," said Catlett, president of the Gator Bowl in Jacksonville, Fla. "But Notre Dame is playing so well, I don't see how it could. They're going to the BCS. And they're going to the Fiesta Bowl.

"If Texas and USC stay on course and play in the Rose Bowl, the Fiesta loses its natural tie-in with the Big XII, and (Fiesta Bowl president) John Junker's first move would be to take Notre Dame."

Even if Penn State (9-1), which jumped the Irish (6-2) in the polls this week, ascends all the way to No. 3?

"His (Junker's) thinking is if he takes Notre Dame first, he still might get Penn State too and he's going to get a good team on the other side in any case," Catlett said. "But if he takes Penn State first, he risks losing the Irish. And to risk losing a ND team ranked fifth, sixth, seventh, with everything else that's going on in the program? It's a slam dunk to take them."

Of course, we have found out that some "slam dunks" are more certain than others.
              Last edited by DanS; November 10, 2005, 17:09.

Comment

• Well, look at the article more closely:

"His (Junker's) thinking is if he takes Notre Dame first, he still might get Penn State too and he's going to get a good team on the other side in any case," Catlett said. "But if he takes Penn State first, he risks losing the Irish. And to risk losing a ND team ranked fifth, sixth, seventh, with everything else that's going on in the program? It's a slam dunk to take them."
                He, not surprisingly, is assuming that Notre Dame will be in position to automatically have a berth anyway (which they would have with a fifth or sixth place finish) - and the only area in which it's been "OK" not to follow the rankings is when a bowl that's lost its traditional tie-in(s) to the title game is replacing them (since the clientele associated with that bowl might not be as interested in a particular conference hosting its game. (I could never, *ever*, for instance, see the Pac-10 champion hosting the Sugar Bowl, for instance, unless there were no better options.)
                CGN | a bunch of incoherent nonsense
                Chris Jericho: First-Ever Undisputed Champion of Professional Wrestling & God Incarnate
                Mystique & Aura: Appearing Nightly @ Yankee Stadium! | Red & Pewter Pride
                Head Coach/General Manager, Kyrandia Dragonhawks (2004 Apolyton Fantasy Football League Champions)

Comment

• So I guess you have backtracked? I think it's pretty clear that if the bowls want ND, they will get ND, if ND is BCS ranked between 7 and 12. They aren't going to let the computer polls tell them their business. Or who knows, they might be blowing smoke up ND's fans' asses.

To be clear, I'm not trying to play gotcha, but rather I'm trying to demonstrate that people who should know the system aren't acting as if the precedent as you describe it rules all.

And again, I don't really have a stake in this, other than I would like to see ND play a great game and get a good payday, considering that it goes directly into ND's general university operating fund. I care more about a national championship, the Heisman tropy, the USC game, and the Michigan game, since my boss is a Michigan grad.
                  Last edited by DanS; November 11, 2005, 07:45.

Comment

• Well Florida State lost its 3rd in a low. Though it has its ACC division wrapped up because BC can't catch up.

Comment

• SOUTH CAROLINA BEATS FLORIDA!!

(The only time I've rooted for Spurrier )

Comment

• Damn, the state of Florida laid low today.

Comment

• OSU was impressive against Northwestern. Texas Tech getting upset by Oklahoma State.

Comment

• Texas is already up 21-0 on Kansas.

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                              OSU was impressive against Northwestern.
                              Yeah.. I think Northwestern drops out and Minnesota (who destroyed Michigan State) takes their place in the Top 25.

Comment

• Well there goes the Bama non TD scoring streak... 10-0 Alabama.

Comment

Working...
                                X