• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schiavo Autopsy report ready

Schiavo's Brain Was Severely Deteriorated, Autopsy Says
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
    Published: June 15, 2005

Filed at 11:29 a.m. ET

LARGO, Fla. (AP) -- Terri Schiavo did not suffer any trauma prior to her 1990 collapse and her brain was about half of normal size when she died, according to results released Wednesday of an autopsy conducted on the severely brain-damaged woman.

Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner Jon Thogmartin concluded that there was no evidence of strangulation or other trauma leading to her collapse. He also said she did not appear to have suffered a heart attack and there was no evidence that she was given harmful drugs or other substances prior to her death.

Autopsy results on the 41-year-old brain damaged woman were made public Wednesday, more than two months after Schiavo's death ended an internationally watched right-to-die battle that engulfed the courts, Congress and the White House and divided the country.

She died from dehydration, he said.

He said she would not have been able to eat or drink if she had been given food by mouth as her parents' requested.

''Removal of her feeding tube would have resulted in her death whether she was fed or hydrated by mouth or not,'' Thogmartin told reporters.

Thogmartin said that Schiavo's brain was about half of its expected size when she died March 31 in a Pinellas Park hospice, 13 days after her feeding tube was removed.

''The brain weighed 615 grams, roughly half of the expected weight of a human brain. ... This damage was irreversible, and no amount of therapy or treatment would have regenerated the massive loss of neurons.''

Will this end the debate?
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

to paraphrase GePap

I dont really care.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

GePap, WHY?! We've had enough schiavo for an entire forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        GePap, WHY?! We've had enough schiavo for an entire forum.
        Because this is the end of the issue, where the truth is revealed.

Comment

I'm afraid the people who made a circus of this woman's final wish being carried out weren't interested in the truth.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

The one thing you should know GePap, is that there is no end to this issue.
            "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
            -Bokonon

Comment

This isn't telling us which parts of her brain were gone or not. If half her cerebral cortex were still intact, she could have functioned. I'm guessing it was her cerebellum and medulla that were there and her cerebral cortex was almost all gone.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Those doctors are obviously evil liberals who hate life.
                I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                  This isn't telling us which parts of her brain were gone or not. If half her cerebral cortex were still intact, she could have functioned. I'm guessing it was her cerebellum and medulla that were there and her cerebral cortex was almost all gone.
                  Well, the cortex is the half of the brain you can lose without losing the ability of your body to continue.

Comment

Where is Ned who said the autopsy results would have SHOCKING results that the husband killed Terry?

Seems to show that her husband was right and that she never would have gotten better.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

No, no - if the family had prayed and put their entire trust in God here could have been a MIRACLE and she could have recovered functionality. (note - I actually heard that argument in a I believe 60 minutes interview with parents whose 2 year old child had severe microcephaly - essentially less brain than Schiavo had - and had cost taxpayers I believe it was 2 million dollars, seeing as they were on medicaid. That's why Governor Bush signed a law letting the state force people like Schiavo to be unplugged if the state is paying for it).
                      The worst form of insubordination is being right - Keith D., marine veteran. A dictator will starve to the last civilian - self-quoted
                      And on the eigth day, God realized it was Monday, and created caffeine. And behold, it was very good. - self-quoted
                      Klaatu: I'm impatient with stupidity. My people have learned to live without it.
                      Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.

Comment

Uh, is that the same reason why Gov. Bush originally signed Terri's law saying her life should be preserved, especially because she is in the care of the state?

What you are saying here, is that if people cost the state too much money they should be killed. In Terri's case, that wasn't the issue because her parents loved her and wanted to take care of her, but her husband would not let them do so.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

dammit, I wanted to be the first one to report this.

As usual, we were right, and right wingers were wrong.

Comment

As usual???

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

News headline at some point in future after Bush's death:

Bush's brain autospy reveals deformities.
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X