This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reds4ever
    The guy should have been allowed to retire years ago, a weak Pope is no good to anyone, noone believes all that 'Gods spirit on Earth' stuff anyway.
    This Pope has always been way too conservative for my tastes, but this is downright unfair; he's been as strong a leader as the Church could want, right up until the very end.
    "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
      Be that as it may, don't you think people are just a little too complex to be casually assigned a fate by strangers? How is saying he should be spurned by God for being the head of a religion he genuinely believed in any different from fundies condemning Darwin to Hell? You don't know what he was thinking or feeling when he did the things you know him for. And if he doesn't know God, chances are pretty good you don't either.
      AFAIK, my judgements are not official in any capacity.

I think the difference is, I don't claim to be spreading the "word of God" or anything like that. I just speak my mind, telling others what I think is fair and unfair, etc. When I talk about God or whatever my beliefs in Him may be, it's usually in the context of "I hope God exists and that he is fair and just". If something doesn't seem right to me, I'll say so. If you think I'm wrong, tell me why... if you make a compelling case, I may change my mind. It's been known to happen.
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Strangelove
        So what's next? Who will be the next Pope? Will he be progressive, or a Vatican conservative? Personallly I'd like to see them elect a South American.
        I'm pretty sure we'll see a Third-World pope in my lifetime, but I don't think it will be the next one.

(There was a lot of talk about the rising star of a conservative Nigerian cardinal a few years ago, but I can't see the Church making a choice that could so easily be turned into a Chris Rock movie...)
        "I have as much authority as the pope. I just don't have as many people who believe it." — George Carlin

Comment

They've been wanting an American for a while.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Las that I heard the smart money was on a return to an Italian papacy, perhaps someone from the Vatican itself.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Who's "they"?
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                They've been wanting an American for a while.
                And if he'd lived, Bernadin might have had a shot. But we no longer have a Cardinal of his stature, and the recent scandals haven't died down yet. It won't be an American.

Comment

I have to say I like the Pope. He's positions were all logically consistant, unlike so many politicians (this was dramatically exposed by Republican hypocracy in the Schiavo case), even if I didn't agree with him. John Paul's stand against communism and calling for democratic freedom in Eastern Europe should never be forgotten. JP2 was on this issue long before Reagan or Thatcher jumped on the bandwagon.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

no way an american will get it. not after the recent scandals. Even though not involved are responsible for not coming down hard on those who were.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
                      I have to say I like the Pope. He's positions were all logically consistant, unlike so many politicians (this was dramatically exposed by Republican hypocracy in the Schiavo case), even if I didn't agree with him. John Paul's stand against communism and calling for democratic freedom in Eastern Europe should never be forgotten. JP2 was on this issue long before Reagan or Thatcher jumped on the bandwagon.
                      but he didn't call for democratic freedom in Iraq.

Comment

It's pretty amazing that somebody with Parkinson's could be so effective for so long. It must have taken a will of steel.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Some of the harsher criticism of the Pope does seem unjustified. Granted, the Pope was a conservative. However, he's the bloody Pope. Given the confines of the Catholic faith, you cannot expect him to suddenly get wonderfully liberal wrt abortions and the like.
                          And unlike certain hardline conservatives, he actually deserves credit for the spread of democracy through eastern Europe. Finally, I think that his replacement will be very conservative, and in a couple of years, we'll be looking back on the good old days.
                          "Remember, there's good stuff in American culture, too. It's just that by "good stuff" we mean "attacking the French," and Germany's been doing that for ages now, so, well, where does that leave us?" - Elok

Comment

Uh...news indicates the Pope is still alive.

Comment

A good person dying
                              You consider Pat Robertson to be a good person?
                              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by Kamrat X
                                I thought that was Reagan?
                                No. It was the *****-ass cowards from Euroland. Buncha effete ****s.

Comment

Working...
                                X