Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• no

what I was saying was how the Lutherans were, not me

we have almost no congragational response (when I went to church regularly, maybe once a year or so)

all our hymms are by the congregation, none by the choir (most the time there is no choir)

SDAs tend towards longer sermons (occasionally going well over 30 minutes)

the cross thing was a reference to the Lutherans having a corss being brought up

we moistly don't say the Lord's Prayer at all (I might not here it in a year (back when I went to church every week))

Jon Miller
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

• the cross thing was a reference to the Lutherans having a corss being brought up.
      Thank you.

If you want a debate, how do you interpret Colossians
      2:13-17?

When you were dead in your sins and in the uncircumcision of your sinful nature,[2] God made you[3] alive with Christ. He forgave us all our sins, having canceled the written code, with its regulations, that was against us and that stood opposed to us; he took it away, nailing it to the cross. And having disarmed the powers and authorities, he made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them by the cross.[4]

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• To Ned- I disagree with the pope on most things and i disagree with him on the war. BUT I wouldn't have a go at him for it. He is a religious leader and they are supposed to be for peace and love and all that.

On the general catholic debate- They are an arrogant church, they think they have the one truth and system. To them catholic tradition is as impotrant as whats in the bible so it does not surprise me that they say a catholic can't attend other services.
        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
        Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

• Originally posted by TheStinger
          To Ned- I disagree with the pope on most things and i disagree with him on the war. BUT I wouldn't have a go at him for it. He is a religious leader and they are supposed to be for peace and love and all that.

On the general catholic debate- They are an arrogant church, they think they have the one truth and system. To them catholic tradition is as impotrant as whats in the bible so it does not surprise me that they say a catholic can't attend other services.
          Stinger, on further thought, I think churches increasingly want to stay out of politics. Opining on war, one war or the other, gets religion too much involved. A wish for a peaceful resolution is acceptable. Declaring the war to be unjust is unacceptable. It goes to far into the political.
          http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Declaring the war to be unjust is unacceptable. It goes to far into the political.
            It is difficult for the Pope to come out against the war without references to why the war is unjust. Why else bother?

My denomination on the other hand does not need to specify, and can simply pray for the war to end.

I don't see the Pope's response as political, so much as directed at other Catholics.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

• Originally posted by obiwan18
              Dr. Strangelove:

Transubstantiation is the only reason I cannot take the bread and wine at a Catholic mass. That is why I am curious as to the joining of both traditions, since I see no way to accomodate the Catholic rites, with Protestants. I suppose they could accept the Protestant rites, since there is nothing barring a Catholic from accepting communion within a Protestant church.
              The Protestant Episcopal Church also has transubstantiation as a basic doctrine, though during services it skirts the issue by having the priest bless the bread and wine as if he were remembering Christ's actions during the Last Supper.
              "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon Miller
                the cross thing

ahving the Lords Prayer said

how the guy prayed facing the other way

all the congregational response

the style of the sermons (thety don't call them sermons I think)

less hymms song by the congrgation, more by the choir

most SDA churchs seem to have a very different style than the Lutheran Church I Went to a couple times

of course, that church I went to was a college church, so it might have been atypical

Jon Miller
                Ohhhhhh, Episcopalian services would really trip you out! Services follow a basic pattern, with each part of the service having a variety of forms to choose from in order to provide for variety throughout the year. The cross is brought in during the opening hymn. A collect prayer is said, than a Psalm, which is said responsively. After the Psalm there are readings: one Old Testament, one Gospel and one Epistle (Acts or Paul's letters). Another hymn may be sung between the readings. After the readings comes the sermon, then the peace, then the offering. During the offering a hymn is sung, and the Eucharistic service begins with the prayers of the people, the confession and then the eucharistic prayers themselves. During this section the Lord's Prayer and the Nicene creed will be said, though at some times of the year an alternate form may be used which includes the Apostle's creed instead. The prayers of the people and the Eucharistic prayers are the longest segments of the service and there are three different basic forms of each. After the Eucharist there is a final closing blessing and the priest, choir and cross march out.
                "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• God forgives you all.

Comment

• The Protestant Episcopal Church also has transubstantiation as a basic doctrine,
                    Thanks Dr. Strangelove. My mom used to take me to Anglican church growing up, and they never mentioned this.

Your traditions are very similar to the Catholic ones.

Interesting that Catholic/Lutheran/Episcopal/Anglican services would be so similar.

Comment

• Leave the Pope alone. He's a frail old man trapped in the body of a frail old man.
                      Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

• I have no idea why the pope was against the war.

but I think he was concerned with the image of the church in the middle east. And didn't want to do anything to damage the church image even if it meant helping people of another religion.
                        You are looking at it in your, egoistical view. As I wrote, pope can not support ANY war, no matter how just would it be.

Huh? I don't understand how any of this relates to the question of whether it is permissable for a Roman Catholic to break bread with his protestant brethren and still be considered a good Roman Catholic. The policy stated by the Pope, if applied strictly, implies that if a Roman Catholic is stuck in some town where there are no Catholic churches and feels the need to attend church he can't fulfill this need in a protestant church. It also means that he could not accept an invitation to attend a protestant friend's baptism, marriage or funeral if the ceremony were to be incorporated into a regular church service. See, this policy means that can't ask a Catholic to be my child's godparent, or to be my best man, or even the pallbearer at a family member's funeral unless I change the venue of the service. I can ask a Methodist, a Baptist, a Lutheran, or even a Pentecostal without causing them distress, but if I were to ask a Roman Catholic to do any of these things then I'm asking him to be disobedient to his faith.
                        It's not quite truth, otherwise pope wouldn't go to other monotheistic temples; it's about participating in allien religious ceremonies when You can participate in the real, catholic, ones.

My graduate school advisor was a Roman Catholic. When he married a Baptist woman he tried to arrange for the marriage service to be a joint Catholic-Baptist one. After a great deal of effort he managed to get it all arranged, than at the last minute the priest was denied permission to participate. The Roman catholic Church lost a member that day.
                        So He didn't treat his religion enough seriously if He quitted it for such thing. But interdenominational marriages are tolerated, and should be, as long as the children will be brought up on catholic church. This behaviour is not common with official attitude of the church.
                        "I realise I hold the key to freedom,
                        I cannot let my life be ruled by threads" The Web Frogs
                        Middle East!

Comment

Working...
                        X