Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I just finished reading a history book about the founding of Islam......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just finished reading a history book about the founding of Islam......

Published by national geographic, my thoughts?

I feel betrayed by the public school system for the lies in their textbooks......

Edit, to add what got cut off:

I know a tremendous amount of history, always been very interested in it and I could always sort between the bullhonkey my schooling has tried to teach me and the truth......HOWEVER I didnt know anything about the founding of Islam-other then what my schooling had taught me, and knowing how bias that is I decided to go look it up on my own.

SO I figured I should go read up on it......who is more neutral then national geographic right? Read their book and..........man, I want to burn my old textbooks lol.

I didnt know the religion of peace had a kick off near constant wafare since its inception......my school books somehow left that out.........im sure it was an honest mistake, right?
    Last edited by Vesayen; April 16, 2003, 18:20.

Your public school system covered the foundation of Islam? Wow. I learned about it independently.

Published by national geographic

That's good. It's likely to be an unbiased account.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Christianity is also drenched in blood. How is it different than Islam in this regard?

Comment

Paiktis:

What about those Turks?
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Is that supposed to put a veil on the bloody history of Christianity?

All I'm asking is how blooddrenched Islam history is different than blooddrenched Christianity history?

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
            Christianity is also drenched in blood. How is it different than Islam in this regard?
            I knew the truth about the inception of Christianity(and im not one)

Comment

NG isn't that unbiased, is it? It did not depict Russians as human beings until the early 90's.
              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Well AFAIK Christianity had a pretty bloody history too. That's all and I don't claim to be an expert in this regard.

Comment

Oh boy, it's the Apolyton standard - good old knee-jerk diversion!

"Hey, I just read that history of Islam is quite bloody, and..."

CHRISTIANITY CHRISTIANITY CHRISTIANITY CHRISTIANITY CHRISTIANITY - and once more for the road, CHRISTIANITY

*Stefu proceeds to tear his hair off*
                  "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
                  "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

Before you eat your hat ugly Finn contemplate the fact that the defining aspect of Versayen's fascination at his discovery was the violent character of the religion of Islam.

Considering that this is almost a universal characteristic of the birth of almost any religion it begs the question: how does that differantiate Islam from other religions such as Christianity so much as to warranty the term "fascinating discovery" and a defining justapostiction from other dogmas.

Comment

oh yeah, well the Aztecs practiced Human Sacrifice! Human ****ing Sacrifice!!

"Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                      You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Well AFAIK Christianity had a pretty bloody history too. That's all and I don't claim to be an expert in this regard.
                        You don't say.
                        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Exactly, like Christianty, Islam calls for mass conversion, becuase it believes the salvation can only come from the belief in Allah and his prphet Mohammed.
                          At least, it is the justification of holy wars, which were used as a tool for the expansion of the Arabic people. Islam became quickly the backbone of the thriving Arab civilization, who had expanded its territory drastically thanks to Mohammed's cunning, and the sense of obedience it gave to its followers.

I think Islam, like christianty, is an "imperial" religion, i.e a religion that has been actively used by a large or growing empire as a tool for political and cultural dominance.

Islam is no more bound to violence than christianty. The agressive expansion of the countries that called themselves Muslim was violent. It is a very different story.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
                            Before you eat your hat ugly Finn contemplate the fact that the defining aspect of Versayen's fascination at his discovery was the violent character of the religion of Islam.

Considering that this is almost a universal characteristic of the birth of almost any religion it begs the question: how does that differantiate Islam from other religions such as Christianity so much as to warranty the term "fascinating discovery" and a defining justapostiction from other dogmas.

Paiktis, I don't see where he was trying to "differantiate" anything. Other than, of course, the value of an independent education vs. a public one.

Stefu:
                            "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Fine. I admit it was a poorly aimed attempt at "living up" the conversation. Pathetically failed.

Comment

Working...
                              X