The Battle of Baghdad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lord Merciless
    It takes time and coordination to wire enough explosives on a bridge and to bury enough anti-armor mines on high-ways. Because we are attacking so fast and their command control system was completely shut down, the Iraqi army simply had no time to employ such tricks.

Had we waited with the invasion, they might actually have the time to do those things.
    They had time - just because you preset and prewire, doesn't mean you arm or blow.

And I'm not talking anti-armor mines in the highways, I'm talking about conventional explosives in the storm sewer lines underneath. All of which could have been pre-wired, or done from day 1, but it's typical Saddamite arrogance that nobody would dare suggest coalition forces would reach Baghdad.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• I have to agree with Olaf that the Iraqis have not been up to speed even with what they have.

Given their situation, they should have wired all major bridges (which hy certainly had time for) and blown them. They should have kept more troops inside Baghdad and not stationed them so far out, and no, i don't think a coup threat would have been immenet. If the Iraqis have been able to keep regular army units in line through terror, they could the RG. They have wasted many many men in technicals: as i said, have them on foot. You have the same firepower but are a more difficult target to hit.

The Iraqis dont have the resources for a "doctrine" right now, What they could have been doing is taking common sense aproaches to thier significant inferiority. And, honetly, they could have been far more destructive towards thier own people in search of coolition casualties. For example, sned soem guy as a "fake" infomant, leading some coolition fighters (who woundn;t know better) to search some house which you rigged to blow. There, coolition casualties.

The tactics of teh iraqis have been subpar on all levels.
      If you don't like reality, change it! me
      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by GePap
        The tactics of teh iraqis have been subpar on all levels.
        Hey, but at least they've got the pregnant suicide bomber tactic down cold!
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• That is one fo the things they could be doing more of, yes.
          If you don't like reality, change it! me
          "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
          "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
          "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

They had time - just because you preset and prewire, doesn't mean you arm or blow.

And I'm not talking anti-armor mines in the highways, I'm talking about conventional explosives in the storm sewer lines underneath. All of which could have been pre-wired, or done from day 1, but it's typical Saddamite arrogance that nobody would dare suggest coalition forces would reach Baghdad.
            That is a rather good idea... but i dunno if arrogance is the reason why he didnt do it, as he did prepare other defenses for Baghdad. Im thinking perhaps he just didnt think of this idea, or maybe he did, and we have just been fortunate that we have not run into it yet.... if the former is the case, i sure hope none of those Iraqi officers roam the forums as they may find some good ideas from here

Kman
            "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
            - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
            Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• The tactics of teh iraqis have been subpar on all levels.
              I think Saddam is not looking into these totally dishonorable venues of defense for PR and propaganda purposes. If it got out what he was doing, adn with lal the media there it probably would, world opinion about him would fall even lower, adn lead some nay-sayers of the war to become yay-sayers. And the possibilty of angering his own people and the potential popular uprising or military coup thereafter are also disinsentives of doing these things, as we all know how paranoid (and rightfully so) Hussein is.
              Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

• Originally posted by Kramerman

That is a rather good idea... but i dunno if arrogance is the reason why he didnt do it, as he did prepare other defenses for Baghdad. Im thinking perhaps he just didnt think of this idea, or maybe he did, and we have just been fortunate that we have not run into it yet.... if the former is the case, i sure hope none of those Iraqi officers roam the forums as they may find some good ideas from here

Kman
                Revolutions and guerilla warfare R us.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• And so it begins 2.0...

CNN is again claiming that US forces are attacking central Baghdad. It looks like it's for real this time. A-10's are flying over the city and you can hear gunfire on the TV.

NEAR BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- U.S. tanks and armored vehicles have launched an attack on central Baghdad, a U.S. officer told Reuters on Monday.

"We're attacking right down in the center of the city right now," Maj. Michael Birmingham, chief public affairs officer for the U.S. 3rd Infantry Division, told the Reuters news service.

"The other day was just an incursion. This is for real," Birmingham added, referring to an earlier foray of U.S. armored forces into southwest Baghdad.

CNN broadcast images from Al-Arabiya and Al-Jazeera television that showed at least two A-10 Thunderbolt warplanes and a Hunter drone circling the city, said retired Maj. Gen. Don Shepperd, a CNN military analyst.
                  KH FOR OWNER!
                  ASHER FOR CEO!!
                  GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• 65 tanks, 40 Bradleys enter Baghdad according to Reuters. US troops have seized a presidential palace and other buildings. Another palace is under attack.

You can see the Bradleys on TV.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• Confirmed. It's even on ABC right now.
                      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

• Wow. American vehicles are just sitting under those big crossed sabres in Baghdad.
                        KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

• grrr! i wish i had cable...

Comment

• GRUMBLER

Don't use a quote box in your sig.

It's much easier if you just use quotation marks.
                            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                            2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

• Remember, the war's not over 'til the fat dictator croaks.

Comment

• Remember, the war's not over 'til the fat dictator croaks.

His cousin is dead. The British military and AP just confirmed that Chemical Ali was killed in Basra.
                                KH FOR OWNER!
                                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X