Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of Baghdad

Coming soon to a living room near you.

So where is the 3rd Infantry Division units that have been blacked out for TV for 2 days after moving 200 miles in the first two days? What about the airfields that have been secured in Western Iraq? When will the 4th Infantry Division show up? Will the weather impede the advance? Here's a good overview...

And here's a good wall map (large)...

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Is Batman a real Turkish town? I saw it on a map awhile ago and thought it was a funny name for a US base, like Camp Snoopy. Your wall map makes it seem like a real town, however. So which is it? Is Batman a real (and hilariously named) Turkish town?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

If Iraqi citizens are not permitted to flee the capital, does that make them human shields?

Comment

*sheesh*

Maybe they're not permitted fleeing to avoid the "coalition troops" blasting their buses to meet Allah.

On topic: Baghdad in not likely to fall at all. I know the coalition would love the population to flee so they can "take the city apart" but thats not going to happen.

The best way to "capture" the city is by treason. Kill Saddam and "install" some kind of new government. Cities can take on overwhelming military forces. Remember Stalingrad?

Comment

no, that makes them victims of angloamerican agression

Comment

Right, because we all know it's in American interests to murder Iraqi war refugees. Gotta get the oil somehow, ya know...

Comment

no. it just shows what a bunch of trigger happy rednecks they are...

..human shields... sheesh... where did you hear that? on CNN?

PS.. gotta stop this... Ming is gonna kick our a$$e$.

Comment

okay i read dan's site and the map shows coalition advances where there have been none. like, crossing euphrates (hasn't happened yet), taking of basra and ummkasr.
                i am aware of the fact that people never lie like they do in war, so it surprises me that so many of our angloamerican posters jumped on propaganda bandwagon. i guess it is called 'patriotism'

some of my friends told me that any antiwar discussion on american campuses has been discontinued ever since the war started. is that self-censorship or political corectness?

Comment

that's like asking "Is that red or scarlet?" LaRusso
                  Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso
                    some of my friends told me that any antiwar discussion on american campuses has been discontinued ever since the war started. is that self-censorship or political corectness?
                    I'm guessing, that just maybe, they consider any anti-war discussion to be disrespectful at a time when their nation's servicemen are losing their lives?

Comment

Originally posted by Demerzel

I'm guessing, that just maybe, they consider any anti-war discussion to be disrespectful at a time when their nation's servicemen are losing their lives?
                      Why? Didn't every single one of them volonteer?
                      Last edited by Chemical Ollie; March 24, 2003, 08:05.
                      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

I think it's fine to discuss anti-war things pre-war but when the troops are actually in there and are laying down their lives if necessary, then you should be getting behind your country's fighting men and women.

Comment

They're AFAIK mercenaries, right?

Comment

Why is debating a war considered disrespectful to troops in the field? Just because people are fighting, doesn't mean you rae betraying them or hoping they will fail and die just because you are asking 'should they be there in the first place?'
                            Freedom Doesn't March.

-I.

Comment

Originally posted by LaRusso

There was a programme on TV here last night about the increase in scholarships funded by the US military. Being a cynical sort of person I guess the US education industry would not want to be too critical of a source of money.
                              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Working...
                              X