• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• that doesn't say much.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Olaf HÃ¥rfagre
      The Americans admit to have lost one vehicle and one soldier KIA during the little show-off raid this morning. Iraqis claim this is the one (picture). Looks like some kind of APC to me. On the other hand, footage on Swedish TV news showed an Abrams-looking wreck with crowd dancing around it, and that was completely different from this.
      The Iraqis are desperate dumb****s if this is what they claim is a US AFV. This is an Iraqi BMP-1, totally cooked off which isn't uncommon with the location of the gas tanks. They're ****ing death traps, if hit from the side.

You can tell from the rear door and the roadwheel layout. The entire superstructure got blown off when it cooked, and that's also common with the BMP-1 due to ****ty weld quality between the superstructure and hull.

Q. What do you call Iraqi AFV's after they've made contact with US forces?

A. Shake & Bake.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Actually, a videoclip on FOXNEWS shows an M1 on fire with a crewman getting out.

Later in the same clip, a bunch of Iraqi's are seen dashing back and forth about 100 yards off to the left of the road, under an underpass. Suddenly a car emerges. Later, the car is see attempting to crash into a tank. It veers and crashes instead into a center guard rail.

Real Saving Private Ryan sort of footage.
        http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

• Considering the Iraqis demonstrated competence, it probably hit a mine. I'm sure we'll lose a handful of them before this is completely done, but the photo posted by Olaf is of a BMP-1, which is one of theirs, not ours.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• Saddam isn't beaten yet... adopt, adapt and improve.
            Attached Files

Comment

• "Saddam brushing his teeth"

Comment

• That's great.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Haha Winston!

When the Special Republican Guard (whoops, they don't seem to be very "special," make that the Ultra-Special Republican Guard) show in your 'hood, you will pay for posting that!
                  The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
                  - A. Lincoln

Comment

• maybe the word "special" in special republican guard means the same thing as it does in reference to the special olympics

Comment

• 1st MEF was said to be doing hand-to-hand combat on the outskirts of Baghdad. Oof.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• Seeing as the assessment of the "raid that wasn't a raid until it became a raid, and downtown, suburbs, what's the difference, all these sandstone colored boxy buildings look alike to me" operation changed from when it started to when we wisely decided it might be time to boogie, it should be interesting to see what the "hand to hand" assessment turns out to be.

That sounds more like a press misnomer to me, because unarmed combat between modern automatic weapons forces is practically impossible.

Comment

• They were talking about bayonets. Sounds flakey to you?

Comment

• Possible, however, fighting with bayonets is very very rare these days. Maybe an initial contact included something like that, but then turned into a close gunfight.

Comment

• If you had grenades, ammo for your M4 and heavy weapons, and cute stuff like that, why in hell would you use a bayonet? And if the other SOB had grenades and ammo, he'd be using his on you.

Sticking people in close in fighting is real inefficient and desparate. We operate on a doctrine of massing firepower, and the Marines are all into that "My Rifle" horse****, so I don't see them going to the bayonet unless a unit was overrun.

Comment

• If an enemy and a marine ran into each other *that* close then just maybe. I agree that a bayonet is absolutely a last choice, however.

Comment

Working...
                                X