Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your country was suddenly taken over by a dictator would you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flubber
    hmmm

It depends

Does the dictator do things like squelching freedoms ( other than voting rights which are obviously forfeit)? Does the dictator appropriate wealth from others and disallow criticism?

I'm just wondering if plato was right and the ideal form of government is a dictaor that is a philosopher-king
    Not me obviously. The real guy.
    "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Originally posted by rah
      Isn't that one of the reasons why the US has different branches in the military, to make it more difficult for a military junta?
      Sure, but all he would need is the army.
      "When you ride alone, you ride with Bin Ladin"-Bill Maher
      "All capital is dripping with blood."-Karl Marx
      "Of course, my response to your Marx quote is 'So?'"-Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I think plato was right (the real guy not him).

Yet, you can't have your cake and eat it to, and I would rather eat.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
          sometimes I wonder if I could get more chicks if I become a peacenik.

I wonder if anti-war rallies are a good place to meet women
          There are deffinatly some hotties at the rallies. I go to all of 'em. But I'm usually working so am not able to pick up chicks. Probably a good idea though, they are all passionate about a cause, tell Bush to **** off a few times and they'll dig you.

As for the topic of this thread I've already got a plan in place in case of a dictator. Assuming I can travel I would flee to Illinois, I've got some hick friends out in the back country there with a huge arsenal and the gumption to use it. I would provide the brains for their operation and conduct guerilla opperations against our tyrant in cheif. Like in the movie Red Dawn. That'd be me
          Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Maybe later Boris... I'm not ready to get my ass kicked yet.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Depends.. if there we truly were taken over by dictator, I'd join the movement against him. Like underground resistance.. We would make lots of critics and demonstrate against it, loudly. IF the new dictator would start being violent, having people killed and pushed and forcing his ways trying to be in power for as long as he's alive.. then I'd join the fight if there was one. Pick up guns and start the revolution I guess. But only if the dictator gets violent and well.. just evil. Not until then.

Also it would be pretty impossible to get militarys backing in our country because it's different system, based on reserves, so in order to get armys backing, he'd have to get the people . Or some staff officers, but they couldn't do much if we started revolting.

So, go with the flow if he's not being violent and wait until he steps down. If he gets violent, then pick up weapons and fight him.
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

id go to canada, collect hella guns, use the church to collect money, get say 10 commited guys, and then stage hit and run attacks along the border. keep eerything on the down low.
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Re: If your country was suddenly taken over by a dictator would you....

If your country was suddenly taken over by a dictator would you....

flee? Yes.

But what if the country I flee to now has a dictator? What would I do then?
                  Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                  Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

An local dictator or a foreign dictator? I'm down with La Resistance but not with the FLQ.
                    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Flubber

I'm just wondering if plato was right and the ideal form of government is a dictaor that is a philosopher-king
                      You are probably right. Democracy fails. Those of us who got it, all witness that. Plato was a wise @ss, uhm... I mean man.
                      My words are backed with hard coconuts.

Comment

The problem with a dictatorship is that you are going to end up with a lowest-common-denominator-king and not the other kind.
                        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

There are many ways to undermine a government without active, open rebellion.

Your poll does not have them, so I am forced to pleasure a banana.
                          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

It depends on whether I am said dictator or not, or at least whether I am on good terms with this person.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
                              The problem with a dictatorship is that you are going to end up with a lowest-common-denominator-king and not the other kind.
                              Not always. Singapore did pretty well under Mr Lee.
                              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I was getting ready to say...anyone who thinks Cromwell did something good needs a serious reality check!
                                "IN EVERY GOVERNMENT THERE MUST BE SOMEWHAT FUNDAMENTAL, SOMEWHAT LIKE A MAGNA CHARTA, THAT SHOULD BE STANDING AND UNALTERABLE...THAT PARLIAMENTS SHOULD NOT MAKE THEMSELVES PERPETUAL IS A FUNDAMENTAL."

Oliver Cromwell

The Puritians were bent upon the establishment of a democratic parliamentary system of civil government and the elimination of the "Divine Right of Kings."

Charles had persecuted the English Puritans by having their ears cut off and their noses slit for defying his attempts to force episcopacy on their churches.

The Puritans finally led a civil war against the King and won.

Bloody handed brutes with a lofty goal, more than you can say for the bloody handed brutish nobles.

Not bad for a farmer.

Comment

Working...
                                X