Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If your country was suddenly taken over by a dictator would you....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If your country was suddenly taken over by a dictator would you....

I think this is a pretty good hypothetical topic of discussion.....assume for SOME reason the military is loyal to him and INTERNAL forces stage a cou'de'tat-what do you do? What happens?
    Rally as many people as you could and fight back
    52.27%
    Go with the flow, because nothing's important enough to die for
    15.91%
    Undecided-pleasure myself sexually with a bannana while all hell breaks loose
    31.82%
    Last edited by Vesayen; March 17, 2003, 17:17.

Gripe about him for 4 years, then elect another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ozz
      Gripe about him for 4 years, then elect another one.
      Damn, Ozz beat me to the punch.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

I would go with the flow.

War should be avoided at all costs. Nothing justifies taking a human life. Even if they rape your family you should never take that person's life.

Comment

Chretien could be a dictator for all I know. I never know what's going on with the Canadian government, and He's been in charge for a long time anyways. Probably wouldn't notice a difference.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'd attempt to rally people up against him/her (you never know, it could be a woman). And then I'd die horribly.
            "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

Isn't that one of the reasons why the US has different branches in the military, to make it more difficult for a military junta?
              It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
              RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                Even if they rape your family you should never take that person's life.
                That's right, cause that would end their suffering on the
                rack in my basement, but be sure to skin them alive before they die of old age.

Comment

A military junta would never happen in the U.S. since its military is(currently) composed entirley of volunteers who like america and WANT to serve......if ordered to harm civilians en masse the U.S. military would dessert or fight back..........but this is a hypothetical

Comment

Like Cromwell did, we would chop his head off.
                    http://tools.wikimedia.de/~gmaxwell/jorbis/JOrbisPlayer.php?path=John+Williams+The+Imperial+M arch+from+The+Empire+Strikes+Back.ogg&wiki=en

Comment

hmmm

It depends

Does the dictator do things like squelching freedoms ( other than voting rights which are obviously forfeit)? Does the dictator appropriate wealth from others and disallow criticism?

I'm just wondering if plato was right and the ideal form of government is a dictaor that is a philosopher-king
                      You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It already has.
                        "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ned
                          Like Cromwell did, we would chop his head off.

Cromwell was a worse dictator than poor old Charles ever was.
                          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Killing it is the new killing it
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                            A military junta would never happen in the U.S. since its military is(currently) composed entirley of volunteers who like america and WANT to serve......if ordered to harm civilians en masse the U.S. military would dessert or fight back..........but this is a hypothetical
                            Read many 'nam stories?

Seriously, soldiers are trained to do what they're told and not think for themselves. Not to mention that the job attracts (and creates) alot of psychos.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
                              I would go with the flow.

War should be avoided at all costs. Nothing justifies taking a human life. Even if they rape your family you should never take that person's life.

I can think of no dipomatic way to say it, sorry.
                              You'd make an excellent slut.

Even some of the wuss French have been known to resist.

I guess you and David can go in together and open a whore house.
                              Last edited by SlowwHand; March 17, 2003, 18:09.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X