Worldwide Living Standards tested

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worldwide Living Standards tested

Now, I know it's impossible to believe for many Americans that people from Europe really wouldn't let slip away an occasion to move to America if they could. Yes, yes, Anti-Americanism and all that, but it's only envy and if they had a chance, frankly, they wouldn't hesitate a minute. After all, America got to be the best place to live and everyone knows it deep inside.
    That's a very widespread American attitude from what I've found out in the past years in several discussions here on Poly.

Here's the recent results of a study which compared the standard of living all over the world.

The results of the study can be found here: http://www.imercer.com/globalcontent...ewsrelease.asp
    The best American city is San Francisco on place 18!

Discuss.
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Re: Worldwide Living Standards tested

Helsinki is SIXTH
    Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
    Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Woohoo! Go Pittsburgh! We're number 48!
      "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Vancouver THIRD!

Take that, Yanks.
        Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
        "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
        2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

A Chinese friend of mine moved to US a few years ago. For him, US was the only possible place to live in because that's where you make a good career with lots of money etc etc.
          However, now he is trying hard to move back to Sweden, permanently.
          It seems it was just too much work for him to make a good career over there. In Sweden, it's easier because we have a more relaxed attitude to work. We try to work more efficient instead of just working more and harder. That way, we have more spare time left for getting drunk properly in the weekend
          The enemy cannot push a button if you disable his hand.

Comment

Re: Worldwide Living Standards tested

Originally posted by Wernazuma III

The best American city is San Francisco on place 18!

Discuss.
            I've been trying to tell people all along the simple truth that homosexuals make everything better.
            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

hell A`dam is 12....in overall ranking....WOW HOW f*cked up are those cities +13 if A`dam is 12....
              Bunnies!
              Welcome to the DBTSverse!
              God, Allah, boedha, siva, the stars, tealeaves and the palm of you hand. If you are so desperately looking for something to believe in GO FIND A MIRROR
              'Space05us is just a stupid nice guy' - Space05us

Comment

I've been trying to tell people all along the simple truth that homosexuals make everything better.
                So Vancouver has more homosexuals than San Francisco?
                Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
                2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

San Fran beats out Honolulu? I don't buy it.

-Arrian
                  grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Thirteen of the world’s top 30 cleanest cities are in North America, mainly due to their expanse and general lack of congestion. These include Calgary
                    Calgary scores highest with an environmental rating of 166
                    Booyah.

Go figure that the oil capital of Canada gets the highest environmental rating in the world.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Booyah.

Go figure that the oil capital of Canada gets the highest environmental rating in the world.
                      Yeah, but that's just where the head offices are. Very little oil is actually pumped out within Calgary, and the oil sands are up north. I'd like to see what the rating for, say, Leduc would be.
                      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by Kontiki
                        Yeah, but that's just where the head offices are. Very little oil is actually pumped out within Calgary, and the oil sands are up north. I'd like to see what the rating for, say, Leduc would be.
                        True, but there are still a fair share of refineries and everything in the city.

People always slam Albertans for not caring about the environment, but they kindly skim over things like being the first city in North America to have their LRT powered 100% by Windpower and the like...
                        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Scores are based on the level of air pollution and the efficiency of waste disposal and sewage systems.

This is DEFINETLY different than 'Standard of Living'. Was this just a slip or a purposeless false misrespresentation.

I guess you can say this is a list of the environmentally best places to live.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                            This is DEFINETLY different than 'Standard of Living'. Was this just a slip or a purposeless false misrespresentation.

I guess you can say this is a list of the environmentally best places to live.
                            Click on the link. It ranks environmental (the criteria which you cited), and general standard of living, which includes far more.
                            The analysis was based on an evaluation of 39 quality of life criteria for each city including political, social, economic, and environmental factors; personal safety and health; education; transport; and other public services. The survey was conducted to assist multinational companies in assessing international hardship allowances for their expatriate workers.

There are two lists on the site.

Comment

The survey was conducted to assist multinational companies in assessing international hardship allowances for their expatriate workers.

AH! This study again! The one that rates cities for how good they are for expatriate workers and not really rating them on which are best in general.

That one of the few studies done on 'standard of living' which would have LA ranked ahead of NY . (not to mention that Ottawa is ranked higher than Paris and Tokyo!!)

Oh, and even in that study the US has 9 cities in the top 50, much more than another other country.
                              Last edited by Imran Siddiqui; March 3, 2003, 17:19.
                              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Working...
                              X