No announcement yet.

Republic of Alberta, Part III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cold Lake means nothing seeing as how it has to do with American military practises, and enough F-18s to count on your hands and toes, right? Our country is equipped with a few dozen obsolete German tanks and an airforce which wouldn't even match that of Lithuania's (not joking)

Please contribute to the politics of the nation you actually live in (I think you dropped your chopsticks).

Comment

1) The US would want the oilreserves protected, would likely defend Alberta. Canada would never attack Alberta knowing the US would protect us.
      Why not become the 51st state?
      Your proposals have you shipping oil to meet the demand in the US to keep Alberta economically viable. Now, you expect protection from the US military?

Next thing I know you'll propose dropping French as an official language.
      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
      2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Originally posted by obiwan18
        Why not become the 51st state?
        Your proposals have you shipping oil to meet the demand in the US to keep Alberta economically viable. Now, you expect protection from the US military?
        This was touched on in the article, the second Alberta would secede it'd no doubt sign some kind of defence pact with the US to ensure the safety of the oilfields.

Next thing I know you'll propose dropping French as an official language.
        It's already not an official provincial language in Alberta, I'd assume that to carry over in a new country.

Something like 2% of Albertans are native French speakers. Oriental dialects, and other east asian dialects, are much more popular...
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
          I obviously wasn't serious when I said "no" military, and I'm well aware most of the airforce combat aircraft are based in Alberta...
          Half of Canada's combat aircraft are Cold Lake. The rest are based in Bagotville, Quebec.

I'll break it up for you: What bloodshed was there when
          Canada seceded from Britain?
          Does the year 1837 mean anything to you? How about 1885?

Kid, you need to learn something about your country.

1) The US would want the oilreserves protected, would likely defend Alberta. Canada would never attack Alberta knowing the US would protect us.
          It would take months for the US to react to a war in Canada. Just look at what has happened.

2) Ever heard of the UN?
          How many times has the UN failed to stop a civil war?

The military Canada has is pathetic and Canada knows that
          What loyal Canadians know is that the Canadian Armed Forces are small, but extremely well-trained and capable of doing their jobs despite massive shortages.

You're completely wrong about "all" countries seceding causing bloodshed.
          Name one.

Simple question for you Asher: Would you fight for an independent Alberta.

You don't really have to answer that question because we all know that you would run away at the first sign of danger.
          Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Zylka
            Please contribute to the politics of the nation you actually live in (I think you dropped your chopsticks).
            Watch yourself. You're bordering on racism with this comment and the one about refugees.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
              Does the year 1837 mean anything to you? How about 1885?
              So in 1982 when we legally obtained sovereignty, please describe the bloodshed.

It would take months for the US to react to a war in Canada. Just look at what has happened.
              Which troops would invade Alberta? Really?
              PPLI, based in Edmonton?

What loyal Canadians know is that the Canadian Armed Forces are small, but extremely well-trained and capable of doing their jobs despite massive shortages.
              And how many of those are based in Alberta and no doubt sympathize with Alberta's plight (Alberta is the province saying we need more military funding, everyone else disagrees).

Name one.
              Canada. 1982.
              How about New Zealand? Australia?

Simple question for you Asher: Would you fight for an independent Alberta.
              Wouldn't need to. Canadians are above that, except for you it seems...
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Tingkai
                Watch yourself. You're bordering on racism with this comment and the one about refugees.
                How are his comments about chop sticks any different than your previous ones slamming Albertans?

Yours are worse, you just don't realize it.

Comment

Something you should keep in mind, Tingkai, is that people in the military tend to agree with Alberta more than Canada politically.

Which makes your whole scenerio of Canada invading Alberta even more laughable.

Canada would also never hurt their international reputation by instigating bloodshed by invading a province who LEGALLY seceded by VOTE of majority of the people in the province.

Plus, they've obviously shown that they really don't care that much -- otherwise they'd pretend to care about our issues, at the very least...

Take your weed and go smoke it in private before you damage your reputation further with this crap...

Comment

RACIST ALBERTAN SLURS BY CHOPSTICKS

HAHAHAHAHAHA WE HAVE A WINNER

Comment

Tingkai:

'Velvet Revolution' in Czechoslovakia, where the Czech and Slovaks voted overwhelmingly to seperate.

So yes, you can have a bloodless secession.

The question is whether Canada would let Alberta go without bloodshed.

Canada would also never hurt their international reputation by instigating bloodshed by invading a province who LEGALLY seceded by VOTE of majority of the people in the province.
                      Secession triggers emotions... look at what happened in the Quebec referendum? What would have happened with a 60% YES vote?

The 'legality'of the process would come under question with a YES vote in Alberta.

You won't get the same treatment as Quebec, so you would not get the chance to 'legally' secede. What this comes down to is revolution.
                      Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                      "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

The 'legality'of the process would come under question with a YES vote in Alberta.
                        Isn't it in the constitution?

You won't get the same treatment as Quebec, so you would not get the chance to 'legally' secede. What this comes down to is revolution.
                        If the province of Alberta sets up a province-wide referendum, and the necessary votes are obtained in favor of separation, the ball will start rolling.

Why wouldn't we get the "same treatment as Quebec"?

Comment

Re: RACIST ALBERTAN SLURS BY CHOPSTICKS

Zylka: Are you calling me chopsticks?
                          Golfing since 67

Comment

please inform the mods

Jon Miller
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Something you should keep in mind, Tingkai, is that people in the military tend to agree with Alberta more than Canada politically.
                              You know nothing about the Canadian military. If you did, you would know that CF members reflect Canadian society. Breakdown of votes from military bases have found that they tend to mirror the popular vote, including votes for the NDP.

It is widely accepted that the American Rev made Britain realise that it could not hold onto its "white" colonies. But I'll qualify my statement by saying that the majority of attempts to separate result in bloodshed.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

Why wouldn't we get the "same treatment as Quebec"?
                                Wouldn't need to. Canadians are above that,
                                Canada will never take Albertan seperation seriously with this above attitude. Revolution will be the only thing to get the attention of the Federal government.

A province-wide referendum means nothing without the motive to back the complaints.

Also, do you endorse an entirely pacifist Alberta? Interesting how you would continue to rely on American protection to maintain your sovereignty.

Might as well become the 51st state and get it over with. Who cares about independence if you aren't willing to fight for it?

Comment

Working...
                                X