Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

missplaced priorties with this shuttel thing.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree

complacensy is VERY dangerouse.

Comment

Nahhh, I get what you're trying to say, but I think that the first part of your statement invalidates the second.

If *everything* is a potential risk, then doing *anything* increases the liklihood of getting killed.

So you have to make choices.

Yes....driving to work every day is a risk, but you need money else your kid will starve...whatchagonna do?

Some jobs pay better than others....those jobs create more opportunities for your children, and sometimes carry with them greater risks. Again, whatchagonnado? You want the best for your children, right?

And of course, then there are jobs that are far, far larger than the people who work them.

Space exploration, for example.

Work at the Centers for Disease Control.

Let's say we've got a talented scientist at the CDC who wants to get married and have a family. Now here's a guy doing big, important work....and also potentially deadly work.

Should we be able to tell that person...no, you cannot have a family....how thoughtless of you for considering it! Or, should we say....sure, have your family, and by the way, you're fired. Not cos you're not brilliant, but because we don't want to see your children put at risk of losing you.

Impractical.

Choices.

Each person has his/her own comfort level with how much they're willing to risk. I do not see how we could ever organize any sort of "governing body" over that sort of behavior, and if we ever could, I would think it extremely unwise.

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

My point is that they knew that the chances of getting killed were very high but they still did it without thinking of the children.

Let a single, childless, adult take the chance of getting killed to become a hero.

Not the parents

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood
          Only a selfish, irrispossable parent would put themselvs first
          Oh yeah, these astronaughts risking their lives for whatever ideals they may have (adventure, pursuit of knowledge, service to mankind, etc) are real selfish. I just dont see how you can draw this conclusion so... err... conclusively.
          "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
          - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
          Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

There is no life without risk. If you leave the house you expose yourself to germs, pollution, and accidents. If you stay in the house you expose yourself to toxics and accidents.

What do you think you're teaching your children by being a coward? That risk is bad, never try for anything better. That's not a life, that's just waiting to die.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So why did they choose to become astronauts?

Money? power? GLORY?

I think they chose for the GLORY.

I can think of better ways to make more money to feed the kids.

Comment

*Calc slowlys gets up after being all crawled up in the corner.

Sweet!~ no response to my post whatsoever for 10 min! I didnt need my anti-flame suit!~
                :-p

Comment

Originally posted by Docfeelgood
                  I like you guys and I am not trying to belittle you,
                  so, bear with me, you guys know I have a hard time communicating my thoughts

I don't think you understand what I am tring to say.

Everything in life is a chance if getting you killed.
                  So why increase your chances of getting killed?

I don't think I can explain this one
                  oky dokie. I just had to share my disagreence with you. I dont wanna sound like im attacking you and your ideas or anything, just sharing my thoughts on the subject (which just happen to be diametrically apposed to yours)

Kman
                  "I bet Ikarus eats his own spunk..."
                  - BLACKENED from America's Army: Operations
                  Kramerman - Creator and Author of The Epic Tale of Navalon in the Civ III Stories Forum

Comment

You don't think these space missions are the benefit of mankind do you?

Its all gotta do with profit.

Comment

If everyone thought like you, humanity would still be living on the African plains and hunting with rocks.

LIFE IS RISK! Get over it and live.
                      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Sweet!~ no response to my post whatsoever for 10 min! I didnt need my anti-flame suit!~

I agreed with you

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                          If everyone thought like you, humanity would still be living on the African plains and hunting with rocks.

LIFE IS RISK! Get over it and live.
                          rocks are dangerous too. you might drop it on yourself.

It would be interesting to ask them if they wanted to still do the flight knowing that theres a part malfunctioning which could potentially ruin their landing.

I thoguht about it for moment, and I reluctantly heard some shuttle stuff on the radio, since my car radio is 24/7 turned on... The email one of the member sent to the family before the tragedy happened makes me think it would have been worth it just to see the space one day to die for...

Maybe i should have been an astronaut? dammit.

I agreed with you
                          Thanks, I figured nobody would agree with a person who attacked something that is being idolized at this point in time. But seriously I wasnt trying to spit on their graves. When I first posted

Comment

I think if more thought like me there would a lot less parentless children in the world

Comment

DocFeelGood, in a postive way of looking at it, If more people thought like you, there would be more caring parents in the world

(that and I owe you a kissup. )

Comment

ok

You guys reach for the stars.

don't let Doc depress you.

You can do anything you put your mind to

Im just a old worry wart.

but

this is how you get old

Comment

Working...