4. Belgium
    5. Australia
    6. The United States of America
    7. Iceland
    8. The Netherlands
    9. Japan
    10. Finland

source: http://ca.news.yahoo.com/020724/6/nt9i.html
    Where is Germany or Greece . I am moving to Australia! Or better yet Canada!
    Excellence can be attained if you Care more than other think is wise, Risk more than others think is safe, Dream more than others think is practical and Expect more than others think is possible.
    Ask a Question and you're a fool for 3 minutes; don't ask a question and you're a fool for the rest of your life! Chinese Proverb
    Someone is sitting in the shade today because someone planted a tree a long time ago. Warren Buffet

Comment

No worries or fears, Pioneer....those kinds of studies are useful to a point, but where they fail is in taking into accout relative sizes of the nations involved.

IOW, it's very easy for a nation of 3-18 million people to have a reasonably high average standard of living. It's another beast entirely when you're talking about a nation with a quarter of a billion or more. The fact is that the USA has more millionaires living in it than many nations have total population.

-=Vel=-
      The list of published books grows. If you're curious to see what sort of stories I weave out, head to Amazon.com and do an author search for "Christopher Hartpence." Help support Candle'Bre, a game created by gamers FOR gamers. All proceeds from my published works go directly to the project.

Comment

Yes, scandinavia usually is a few years ahead of the rest of western europe, for example, we are going to adopt the rule now that the lights of your car have to be switched on night AND day (when you're driving of course ), but scandinavian ppl have this for quite some time already!! I also think they do the most efforts to help the environment, unlike Belgium, who is the largest polluter of the north sea, and it only has 64 km of shoreline , and a weak 10 million ppl - really a shame for Belgium..

One also has to admit the Americans have a way to handle things, 2 centuries ago America was quite disorganized and all, but look at it now, strongest power of the world, but that's also because America was clean untouched land... here in Europe life wasn't pretty, no opportunities for something new, the 'Ancient Régime' held everything tight... with later the bourgeoisie everything was just the same - no opportunities to grow... things have greatly improved after WWII, such as the right for women to vote (in Belgium only in 1948!! ) and so on...

Still, Belgium (or rather Flanders, which is the place where the wealth is situated, the Walloons are doing rather poorly lately) is a fine place to live in, after all, we have the best social system in the world (although many ppl take disadvantage of the system, but that is inavoidable), we are #1 in the world for health care, and education in flanders is amongst the best in the world (for Maths for example, only Japan and S-Korea do better than us ) we have very few beggars here, beggars are usually illegal ppl anyway, last time i was in the US, all thosebaggas were crawlin up my ass for a dollar, damnit, i wouldn't wanna get sick in the US- no income, huge medical costs etc....horrible!

we are however #1 in corruption in Europe, together with Italy (if you have Berlusconi in mind, you understand )
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

velocyrix, most people in Belgium are millionaires (in our old currency of course 1$= 40 franks

not so many millionaires now though
          "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie

Comment

Corruption? We are number 1 in the world when it comes to being not corrupted .
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
              velocyrix, most people in Belgium are millionaires (in our old currency of course 1$= 40 franks

not so many millionaires now though
              Well...
              If you wonna play that game.
              In Italy everybody is milionaire in the old currency (1936.27 Lire = 1 € )

we are however #1 in corruption in Europe, together with Italy (if you have Berlusconi in mind, you understand )
              Darn it
              I thought we were number 1 at least in that.

Anyway, one thing strange of Italy is that our GPN makes us the 6th strongest economy in the world (better than UK ), but that GPN doesn't count all the incomes coming from the illegal market... if it was to count, we probably would have ended up even higher of the USA

Saluti
              "Life is pretty simple: You do some stuff. Most fails. Some works. You do more of what works. If it works big, others quickly copy it. Then you do something else.
              The trick is the doing something else."
              — Leonardo da Vinci
              "If God forbade drinking, would He have made wine so good?" - Cardinal Richelieu
              "In vino veritas" - Plinio il vecchio

Comment

yes, but there's a lot of italians too huh , how much italians were there again, keep forgetting it...

Comment

bah...

got 200 € for three days a week as library assistant, + 10000 E in a year trading in unfinished leatherworks. and a lot of peopple says that I'm lucky to have such a job... guys, leather stinks when it's unfinished, believe me, a lot. and stinks more under salt. i lost three finger nails because of this job.
                  Where's my lucky day ?
                  "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                  "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                  "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Originally posted by Giovanni Wine
                    Anyway, one thing strange of Italy is that our GPN makes us the 6th strongest economy in the world (better than UK ), but that GPN doesn't count all the incomes coming from the illegal market... if it was to count, we probably would have ended up even higher of the USA

Saluti
                    Sorry Giovanni but Italy's GDP data has included an estimate for the 'black market' since 1986.

Anyway the difference in economic size between Italy and Britian and France is tiny: $1.55trn for France, $1.54trn for Italy and $1.52trn for Britian - although neither France nor Britian include estimates for the black economy in their figures (most estimates put it at around 10% of GDP in Britian and 15% in France).
                    19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

I was under the impression thatthe UK had overtaken France and Italy and was the 4th biggest economy in the world- I will now go hunting for a link
                      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
                      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

At current prices UK is larger economy, at 1995 proces it isn'thttp://www.oecd.org/pdf/M00018000/M00018516.pdf

EDIT I acn't get the link to work properly but its all at the OECD website
                        Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
                          Still, Belgium (or rather Flanders, which is the place where the wealth is situated, the Walloons are doing rather poorly lately) is a fine place to live in, ....
                          The ranking was about best place to live. Wealth is only one parameter. If Flanders is indeed where wealth is, it doesn't mean Wallonia is a hell. If it was all about wealth, USA would be #1 in this ranking.
                          The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

Originally posted by Dry

The ranking was about best place to live. Wealth is only one parameter. If Flanders is indeed where wealth is, it doesn't mean Wallonia is a hell. If it was all about wealth, USA would be #1 in this ranking.
                            Why? The USA is certainly not the wealthiest country in the world (it has the highest GDP, but not per capita).

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
                              At current prices UK is larger economy, at 1995 proces it isn't http://www.oecd.org/pdf/M00018000/M00018516.pdf

EDIT I acn't get the link to work properly but its all at the OECD website
                              A link to that data is here - also note that the data for the US is a bit old, that table reports the old growth of 9.8% between 1998 and 2001 the latest revised figures from the US's Bureau of Economic Analysis shows growth of only 8.3% between those years.

That 'at 1995 prices' is using the 1995 exchange rates vs the dollar - the current prices is using the current exchange rate.

However neither are very good for international comparisons - it's far better to use
                              Purchasing Power Parities - this was the data I quoted earlier.
                              Last edited by el freako; September 17, 2002, 09:30.
                              19th Century Liberal, 21st Century European

Comment

I thought purchasing power parity resulted in countries such as India having larger economies than Germany.

I may be wrong though.

Comment

Working...
                                X