Like it or not Euros, we're the best country in the world

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Like it or not Euros, we're the best country in the world
    Headlines like this one are the best sign of an inherent minority complex.
    Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

Would someone teach the creator of this thread about the beauty of the paragraph? I'm not reading that splat of text.
      The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Threads like this amuse me immensely. Some little kid has the nerve to come along and bask in the reflected glory of a nation that is great through no action of his own, and for what reason? I'd really love to know why people like this can't just appreciate what they have and be done with it.
        "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

*Sigh* why do we feel the need to measure a country's value by its strength? I mean, the Soviet Union was more industrialized and had a vastly larger army than Switzerland... where would you have rather lived?

America isn't great because we have more money and more power. It was great because we put down in paper the inalienable rights of human beings, and we insisted that the government abide by those rules. I hardly think we live up to the Constitution these days. We're closer than ever before in realizing it in some ways (like equal rights), and yet so entirely far away in other respects (bureaucracy).
          Dom Pedro II - 2nd and last Emperor of the Empire of Brazil (1831 - 1889).

I truly believe that America is the world's second chance. I only hope we get a third...

Comment

Legally? Yes, Bushy was elected legally. However, the laws that made this happen are crap. Despite winning in Florida by 66 votes or whatever it was, Gore had more votes nationwide (by several thousand). Sadly, what the people want does not count.

Do I think the US is the best country in the world? No. A large part of that is because of the attitude of many people, like yours, that the US is better than everyone else. Think about it -- Would you like it if someone walked up to you on the street, said they were better than you in every way, and then ignore all of your arguments to the contrary?

Don't get me wrong, I love living here. I also don't want to make any enemies by saying this. I just wanted to give my two cents.
            Talent Optional

Comment

Just add the duke Leopold' edictus * and you'll be right.

* it abolished capital executions.
              "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
              "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
              "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

Gee... johncmcleod, when I see threads like this, it makes be embarressed to be an American... It makes me want to start some American Bashing myself...

But that's ok, I don't think this thread is lasting too long anyway...
                Keep on Civin'
                RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                  Gee... johncmcleod, when I see threads like this, it makes be embarressed to be an American... It makes me want to start some American Bashing myself...
                  Join us!

Well, actually I to not to bash America, just the government. America has done good and there are a lot of decent American people.

Comment

Actually, America would be the best country in the world, but johnmcleod drops its rating to right below Upper Volta.
                    "On this ship you'll refer to me as idiot, not you captain!"
                    - Lone Star

Comment

John, a real great nation isn't pointed out on how big or strong it becomes or currently is... I suggest you to read Rousseau.
                      "Io non volgo le spalle dinnanzi al nemico!!!" - il Conte di San Sebastiano al messo del comandante in capo, battaglia dell'Assietta
                      "E' più facile far passare un cammello per la cruna di un ago che un pensiero nel cervello di Bush!!!" - Zelig
                      "Live fire, and not cold steel, now resolve battles" - Marshall de Puysegur

Comment

66 PEOPLE?! In a country of 250 million?! That does not constitute a majority.
                        I've no problem with that. It is a majority, even if small. Things like that can happen in a democracy. This is not a reason for new elections, but simply to look better than usual to the results. What was done. If there are problems it is only for US citizens to sort out. No one else's business. If the Americans are unhappy with their electorial systems it's their task to change it, because they can. If they're happy with it, they can keep it even if it is flawed. We Europeans have no more right to poke our noses into their stuff than Americans have to our business. Which is none.
                        Why doing it the easy way if it is possible to do it complicated?

Comment

He's from Coeur d'Alene, ID, the capital of white supremacy in the US. That explains a lot.

Dan Servern, while Bush is legally the President of the US, he was not elected legally. He was elected through massive voter disenfranchisement and vote fraud in the state of Florida. The 3,000 or so confused people in West Palm Beach, certainly contributed to it but so did illegally forcing counties to accept invalid absentee ballots and illegally keeping as many as 100,000 ex-felons from voting. The Bush government here broke the law to make sure that his brother won the election.

BTW, you know how Fox declared a Bush victory in Florida early. Turns out that the person in charge of making that call for Fox was a cousin of the Bush's.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

The US might be the best country in the world, but my dad would kick your dads ass easy. How do you like that? Plus he's bigger and has more money AND a faster car! .
                            And that makes me a better person than you.
                            In da butt.
                            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

chegitz guevara... and what about all the votes in Chicago that were stolen for Gore... If you sent the feds into Chicago, I'm sure they would find at least 200,000 fradulant votes for Gore... It's the nature of the beast. Chicago handed Kennedy the Presidency in a similar fashion many years ago
                              Keep on Civin'
                              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                                It makes me want to start some American Bashing myself...
                                When I start a self-bashing thread you locked it down.

One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                X