Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who made the pyramids. They must have been smarter than us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is one interesting article in the Scientific American:

April 06, 1998

Ancient Alignments

A stone circle in Egypt is the world's oldest astronomical observatory

By Alan Hall

Long before the pyramids were constructed in Egypt, ancient people there built elaborate structures aligned to the sun and stars. The standing megaliths and ring of stones were erected
    from 6.700 to 7,000 years ago in the southern Sahara desert. They are the oldest dated astronomical alignment discovered so far and bear a striking resemblance to Stonehenge and
    other megalithic sites constructed a millennium later in England, Brittany, and Europe.

The site, near Nabta in the Nubian desert, was discovered several years ago by a team led by Southern Methodist University anthropology professor Fred Wendorf. It consists of a small
    stone circle, a series of flat, tomb-like stone structures (containing the bones of cattle) and five lines of standing and toppled megaliths. The stone slabs, some of which are nine
    feet-high, were dragged to the site from an exposed outcrop of sandstone a mile or more away from the site. Each is embedded in the soil on top of a shaped table rock Last year,
    archaeoastronomer J. McKim Malville of the Department of Astrophysical and Planetary Sciences at the University of Colorado and his colleagues conducted a survey using a global
    positioning satellite that confirms the stones' alignment north-south, east-west and to the summer solstice sun as it would have been seen 6,000 years ago.. The scientists reported their
    results in the April 2, 1998 issue of Nature.

When the stones were erected, the area received enough rain in the summer monsoon for temporary lakes, called playa, to form. The site, built on the shore of one such lake. Radiocarbon
    dating indicates that Neolithic herders began coming to Nabta about 10,000 years ago. It was used periodically by nomads until about 4,800 years ago, when the monsoon moved
    southwest and the area again became arid.

At the height of its human occupation--about 6,000 years ago--Nabta supported well-established communities. One village consisted of 18 houses served by
    deep wells. Beneath the surface slabs of the largest megalithic structure was a sculptured rock resembling a standing cow. The team also excavated several
    cattle burials at Nabta, including an articulated skeleton buried in a roofed, clay-lined chamber. The late Neolithic occupants apparently used cattle in their
    rituals just as the African Massai do today, says Malville.

There is much domestic debris on the site, including small, fire-blackened hearths, the bones of gazelles, hares and other animals, fragments of pottery and
    carved and decorated ostrich eggshells. However, no signs of human burials or remains have been found at Nabta. "The nomadic groups must have engaged in
    a variety of activities during summer occupation, such as social bonding, marriage, trade and ritual," the authors note.

The small stone circle, just 12 feet in diameter, consists of four sets of upright slabs, which could have been used for sighting along the horizon. Two sets were
    aligned in a north-south direction while the second pair of slabs provides a line of sight toward the summer solstice horizon. The centerline of one slot between
    the slabs would have picked up the first gleam of the rising sun at the summer solstice. Because Nabta is close to the Tropic of Cancer, the noon sun is at its
    zenith on two days, about three weeks before and three weeks after the summer solstice. On these days, upright objects do not cast shadows--something the
    authors believe was significant to ancient people.

The researchers also identified an east-west alignment between one megalithic structure and two stone megaliths about a mile distant. There are also two other
    geometric lines, involving about a dozen additional stone monuments that lead both northeast and southeast from the same megalith. Individual stone monoliths
    would have been partially submerged in the lake as water level varied during spring and fall, and so they may have been ritual markers for the onset of the rainy
    season. "The organization of the megaliths suggests a symbolic geometry that integrated death, water, and the sun," the authors said.

One of the earliest pyramids, the step pyramid at Saqqara, was built 500 years after the changing climate rendered Nabta uninhabitable. It may have
    incorporated astronomical features known to the ancient Nubians. The authors speculate that the development of the monumental buildings of ancient Egyptian civilization was hastened
    by the arrival in the Nile valley of well-organized nomadic groups with a sophisticated cosmology.

© 1996-2002 Scientific American, Inc. All rights reserved.
    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.

Comment

• The plain simple question is: Who build it, were they smarter than us?
      That was quite a rant there. You are the one that hasn't discussed much. You post claims and then ignore the discussion about them, instead posting more claims.

You WERE answered. Many times.

Who - People that lived there, native. Egyptians in Egypt. We even know the names of some of the quarry workers. We have found the tombs of many of the workers. We have found the site where they lived.

Were they smarter - Smarter than Von Danikan anyway. They didn't have to be smarter. We don't know how they did it for the simple reason that they didn't record all the details or at least we have yet to find such recordings. We know ways it could have been done.

We know they moved the sandstone blocks on skids at least some of the time because there is a drawing of it. We think they lubed the skids. Maybe with mud as has been tested succesfully. There is some reason to believe that they lifted the blocks up pyramids with a jacking lever system at least after the bottom where they could have used a small ramp. A ramp to the top isn't practical but one at the bottom would handle a fairy large percentage of the blocks and especially many of the really large ones.

One possible hoist

Comment

• I do see by your link, Ethelred, that ancient man was smart enough not to attribute the building of the pyramids to supernatural or alien forces. Perhaps they were smarter than us, after all. Cybershy: my apologies.

Comment

• The Mississippean culture of North America built earthen pyramids. The first Emperor of China is buried beneath a pyramid according to local legend (and the proximity of the terra cotta army). The Chinese are waiting for much better archeological tecniques and technology before they begin excavating. The Americans have built a pyramid in Los Vegas. I.M.Pei built a pyramid in the Louvre.

Pyramids are cool. Obolisks are cooler. We have the tallest in the world, the Washington Monument (to be fair though, it's not a single piece of stone).
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• We have the tallest in the world, the Washington Monument
            More proof the US has the biggest phallus. Its not that we wave it around it just doesn't fit in our military uniforms.

Comment

• Read Zecharia Sitchin's "The Stairway to Heaven" for an in depth exposure of Vyse and his shenanigans.

Ah, Sitchin... Von Daeniken and Hancock revisited. Someone posted a link to a site about Sitchin and Egyptology. It's somewhere in this thread and I recommend it to you.

And I remember the name Charles Hapgood from Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. Great game

a 1st Millenium bc copy of a more ancient stele possibly written by Khufu

A copy more than 1500 years later? I don't know if you know the reasons why AE's made steles but copying is not among them. And "possibly"?

The weathering of the Sphinx and it's enclosure appear to be caused by rain while other walls at Giza supposedly of the same age were mainly eroded by wind. Paleo-climatologists claim rainfall was more plentiful a few thousand years before the ~2650 bc age for the Pyramids and Sphinx.

If only West would stopped at asking where the weathering came from... But no, he had to mumble something about the Martian face and Cydonia...

The head of the Sphinx, now that of a man, may have once been the head of a woman - Virgo "the Virgin".

Good to know they had the same signs as we have. But the AE's sure didn't...

But, spectacular speculations sure beats dull science any day...
              Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
              And notifying the next of kin
              Once again...

Comment

• Edit: Should have read the whole thread
                Last edited by Hueij; August 12, 2002, 18:04.
                Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                And notifying the next of kin
                Once again...

Comment

• thanks for the link, Ethelred.
                  You're right, I haven't discussed much.
                  That's mostly because not much arguments were trown in so far. (but repeating that what's commonly 'known')

but that link does a better job!
                  thanks again.

JohnT, thanks, but why?
                  Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                  Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

• History Channel !
                    Blooming Americans and their channel TV

© 1996-2002 Scientific American, Inc. All rights reserved.
                    Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited
                    So you got permission then ?

Comment

• CyberShy,

How come you are so inclined to accept such unsubstantiated assertions?
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• I've not been bothered to read the whole thread (as it was a mile long before I saw it anyway) but I was under the impression CS was just impressed by the claims, couldn't see anything obviously wrong in them, and posted here for further discussion. I'm not sure, from the bits I did read, that either stance on this has made that good a case.

OK the "smarter than us" was a bit dramatic, but it is impressive that an ancient people could achieve or even consider building some of the stuff they did. When we imagine ourselves using the same technology is does seem almost beyond belief that we'd achieve anything like that (granted we are not used to ancient tech, but still). After all, all my government did to celebrate the millenium is raise a domed tent that stopped showing stuff as the millenium started, and probably will come down before too long, and a big Ferris Wheel on the banks of the Thames. Contrast / compare ?

Comment

• That seems to be more of a difference in the style of government, thus the difference in control over the people. The UK government can't really splurge on something big yet unnecessary, unlike the ancient Pharoahs and whatnot.

Also, we don't build structures as memorials to our power - we build weapons of mass destruction instead
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Oh I don't know. A million of the dole, or a million being paid to raise a temple to the almightly and magnificent God Blair in the middle of Dartmoor ? Costs must be much the same

Comment

• Originally posted by Gary
                              [Size=3][Font=Times New Roman]I've not been bothered to read the whole thread (as it was a mile long before I saw it anyway) but I was under the impression CS was just impressed by the claims, couldn't see anything obviously wrong in them, and posted here for further discussion. I'm not sure, from the bits I did read, that either stance on this has made that good a case.
                              A good case has been made against the various Space Aliens-Atlanteans stuff. The main problem with CS is that he DOESN'T want to discuss it. He hasn't really responded with a single rebuttal to any of the attempts to discuss it with him. His only responce has been to find yet another site and post more of the almost always usuported claims and then claim he isn't pushing their agenda that Caligastria is pushing in a massive conspiracy of his own with the Seventh Day Adventists and The Mormon Tabernacle Choir.

At this rate he will be posting Von Danikens claims that the Egyptians didn't have rope. The fact the the Egyptians did have rope never phazed that ignoramous one bit.

I am waiting for him to find a site claiming Aliens from the Hollow Earth joined the Bavarian Illuminati in a massive conspiracy with the people of Mu to disguise the fact that true builders of the Pyramids were actually an Atlantean plot to communicate with Inspector 801,365 from the Andover Nebula mentioned in The Urantia Book.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ethelred
                                I am waiting for him to find a site claiming Aliens from the Hollow Earth joined the Bavarian Illuminati in a massive conspiracy with the people of Mu to disguise the fact that true builders of the Pyramids were actually an Atlantean plot to communicate with Inspector 801,365 from the Andover Nebula mentioned in The Urantia Book.
                                Now how would you know all that ? Unless ....

Comment

Working...
                                X