X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No emphatic reason not to?

Haven't you heard of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it?"

I don't buy the "cultural" reasons bull****. Religion I can see, but "cultural"? Just what is that? Do you mean peer pressure?
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• No, I mean the culture of religion. Of which I am a part and was a secondary consideration.
      Life and death is a grave matter;
      all things pass quickly away.
      Each of you must be completely alert;
      never neglectful, never indulgent.

Comment

• The catholic church requires circumcisions?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

• The Catholic Church doesn't. They require very little actually. That is another topic though.
          "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
          "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
          "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
          "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

• No.

Comment

• There is no requirement, but there is a strong tradition.

Comment

• So you keep chopping off foreskins, regardless of medical advice saying it does more harm than good, for the sake of tradition?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperSneak
                  Tandee-- Do your existing children get immunized? I hope so.
                  This is my first.

How do you judge what is competent or not? You aren't a doctor, and, by your own admission, don't have the education to support such assumptions?
                  Yes, I did not have a very good education when I was in school I have since began trying to educated myself, and I have at least learned to use my mind.

In the last three months, I have become acquainted with three different doctors. One was a chiropractor. My husband threw his back out. I had enormous amounts of respect for him not only because he was able to alleviate the pain but also because he showed us the x-rays, showed his charts he had in his office, explained everything in a more-than-thorough way and was a very very logical person. I find him competent.

The second was my first prenatal doctor. After my first pelvic exam visit, I went to him 3 more times. Each time he came in, checked the baby's heartbeat and left. If I asked him a question or brought up a concern I was absent-mindedly shushed. He never explained anything, and I am quite sure if there had been anything wrong with me or my baby, the baby's heartbeat alone wouldn't have determined. I find him imcopetent.

The third doctor is my new prenatal doctor. He came in, asked me all sorts of questions about what was going on, how I was feeling, explained to me why certain symptoms happen, etc. He had ultrasound equipment in his office and explained that he is not a qualified ultrasound technician (or something), but he uses them just so he can know more, for his own knowledge and benefit, etc. I find him competent.

I'm concerned that you are talking out of both sides of your head--you are constantly contradicting yourself in regard to your husband, your children and even your own ability to make an informed decision about anything whatsoever.
                  Please do give examples so that I might have a chance to respond.

I'd also like to point out that once, long ago, the majority thought the earth was flat. They were wrong too.
                  I thought that myth was long ago debunked in that educated people knew that the earth was not flat. Maybe there were more uneducated, I guess.
                  If playground rules don't apply, this is anarchy! -Kelso

Comment

• That was not the basis of my decision, as I've made clear.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandeetaylor

I really don't want to start a fight with you, but as a former Mormon, I know that most Mormons (including the Prophet) would strongly disagree with you. You either are or you aren't. You can make mistakes, but if you're not trying not to anymore, well... And if you've done any of the above on more the one ocassion, and went to your bishop and told him, you would be promptly excommunicated and would have to wait at least a year before being allowed to be re-baptized.

Disagree with what exactly?

You don't get excommunicated, the term you are looking for is disfellowshiped.
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

• If anyone chooses to do unnessessary surgury on defensless children , why do they always mutilate the genitals, why not take out the tonsils or appendix.
                        The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Hydey the no-limits man.

Comment

• To me, it seems that by your own admission, you have a strong feeling that the decision is yours alone. I can tell you that my wife and I have come dangerously close to breaking up over issues regarding our child, but, ultimately, because the decision was completely mutual, our relationship is now stronger.

In regard to your child, you are using very incidental evidence (your health and your brother's illness) as a leaping off point on immunization, which I think is very dangerous.

Also, you are making a judgement of competance based on how much a doctor explains to you...while this makes you feel better or worse, it is in no way a guage for ability, just bedside manner.

This has already gotten personal enough, so I'm just going to bow out now...despite some very strong objections to your reasoning and approach, I do wish you the best of luck in your process, and hope that ultimately your child will benefit from your decisions and be a happy and successful person.

That is, after all, what is MOST important to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuberski

Disagree with what exactly?

You don't get excommunicated, the term you are looking for is disfellowshiped.

That you have any respect for your religion.
                            No, you would be excommunicated if you have done all those things, and if you have done one on more than one ocassion, and especially since you apparently still unrepentant (correct me if I'm wrong). Do you want me to call a bishop to confirm?

Comment

• Originally posted by SuperSneak
                              In regard to your child, you are using very incidental evidence (your health and your brother's illness) as a leaping off point on immunization, which I think is very dangerous.
                              Well, I said that I knew this wasn't proof, and the fact that my whole life I have been pounded by mother about how horrible immunizations are, I think it means a lot that I haven't even come close to making a decision about this, and that I really want to know the facts before I decide.

Also, you are making a judgement of competance based on how much a doctor explains to you...while this makes you feel better or worse, it is in no way a guage for ability, just bedside manner.
                              In explaining, they showed how logical they were. And in not want to hear about potentially dangerous symptons, he proved how imcompetent he is. I don't care how mean they are, as long as they're willing to make sure I'm OK and do their job.

This has already gotten personal enough, so I'm just going to bow out now...despite some very strong objections to your reasoning and approach, I do wish you the best of luck in your process, and hope that ultimately your child will benefit from your decisions and be a happy and successful person.

That is, after all, what is MOST important to me.
                              Well, thank you. I don't know how anyone could think that that wasn't what was important to me too. Otherwise I would have just done it because it's normal where I live, and maybe thought about it after, if ever.

Comment

• Originally posted by tandeetaylor

That you have any respect for your religion.
                                No, you would be excommunicated if you have done all those things, and if you have done one on more than one ocassion, and especially since you apparently still unrepentant (correct me if I'm wrong). Do you want me to call a bishop to confirm?

If you feel that you have to be right, go right ahead, but if you are wrong, make sure you post that as well.
                                Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X