Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pledge of Alligiance - Unconstitutional?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, in a private a school, should they be required to say the pledge, if it is school rules?
    Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Originally posted by Tuberski
      Does it not also guarantee freedom OF religion?
      It does indeed, and you're totally free to your beliefs.

But the second the government endorses one religion over another, that's when the "separation of church and state" comes in.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So, in a private a school, should they be required to say the pledge, if it is school rules?
        It's a private school, what do I care?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

If it's useless then ignore it and go with your life. There are other issues out there that actually impact people in real ways. Instead the courts will be tied up because some dad was offended.
          I absolutely agree! Technically the court is probably correct, but what a dumb-sh*t trivial thing for either side to waste time on.

I went to school in the 50's and early 60's, when we recited not only the Pledge but also the Lord's Prayer every day. I was (and still am) an atheist, but it didn't bother me; the whole thing was meaningless noise as far as I was concerned. They probably added "under God" to the Pledge sometime during my stay in school but I don't remember it at all.

If I had a kid in public school I'd tell him to just pretend he's reciting "Mairsey Doats" and concentrate on things that matter.
          "THE" plus "IRS" makes "THEIRS". Coincidence? I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It does indeed, and you're totally free to your beliefs.

But the second the government endorses one religion over another, that's when the "separation of church and state" comes in.

How is this endorsing one religion over another? Doesn't every religion believe in (a) God?

Comment

The United States Senate just condemned this ruling by a 99-1 vote. The 9th Circuit court makes asses of themselves again. There ruling will be ignored. They have created a stir that reminds me of Andrew Jackson's comment which went something like this: "It is their decision now let them enforce it."

Comment

In my school, we all had to stand. You didn't have to give the pledge however. Personally I don't think there is a need for a pledge in the first place. There is no reason for an 8 yr old to swear alegence to a flag, or a nation or any of that. Let's not forget that these are people who have not founded a political viewpoint yet. Must we really force them to dron out a tired robotic plege to an idiology they dont comprehend yet. Strange.

I also don't like the god point, but that of course is minor. I would oppose it on other grounds.

-FMK.

Comment

Originally posted by Lincoln
                  The United States Senate just condemned this ruling by a 99-1 vote. The 9th Circuit court makes asses of themselves again. There ruling will be ignored. They have created a stir that reminds me of Andrew Jackson's comment which went something like this: "It is their decision now let them enforce it."
                  Well at least they tied up the senate for a bit, reducing the oppertunity for bribetaking.

Comment

Does the US constitution not have a clause about separation of church and state?

No. It has nothing saying church and state must be seperated, only freedom of religion. I challenge you to find a portion that mandates seperation of church and state in the Constitution.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

How is this endorsing one religion over another? Doesn't every religion believe in (a) God?
                      No.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse

No.
                        Such as?

Comment

Buddhism.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse
                            Buddhism.

Who is buddha then?

Comment

Where, in the Constitution, does it say freedom FROM religion?
                              Are you saying that agnosticism is therefore against the Constitution??

Buddha > a holy person.

And Oh yes: if the word "God" appears, it's definitely unconstitutional. America is supposed to stand for "liberty" and "freedom" (at least it's supposed to), not monotheism. That is the job of Iran and Libya.
                              Poor silly humans. A temporarily stable pattern of matter and energy stumbles upon self-cognizance for a moment, and suddenly it thinks the whole universe was created for its benefit. -- mbelleroff

Comment

And Shinto.

Plus freedom of religion means the freedom not to have a religion...
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X