No announcement yet.

Does Pi contain my phone number.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

realitivity.... pi can be any number if you take it from the right angle. even (as the bible says) 3. i'm not a physics ace or anything, but i have some friends who speak nothing but physics-ese who try to make me smart.
    "I've lived too long with pain. I won't know who I am without it. We have to leave this place, I am almost happy here."
    - Ender, from Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Comment

I'm gonna invent a new type of computer that uses every digit (0-9) instead of just 1's and 0's . . . and then try and open Pi in Notepad, to see what happens.
      -connorkimbro
      "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

orange be careful
        as i said that particular string only seems special to you and us but in fact there is NOTHING particular about it
        just like the number 123456789 may seem like a special number but try writing it in base 13 and tell me whats special about it
        that string you mentionned will appear like any other one
        theres nothing special about such a string apperaing if theres nothing more special infinetly afterwards

Comment

Just one thing about pi... Because of its nature, it's inevitable that an approximation of pi, when being calculated to infinite lengths, will seem to repeat itself - twice, thrice, three billion times, Graham's number times, all but infinitely. True? I assume there is a good reason to say that pi isn't a rational number... err... I forgot the point I was trying to get across .
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

I think the problem with Pi is that no one can tell you what numbers will appear in the pattern, until they pull out a pencil and some paper.

Comment

los alamos, and bell are working on that connorkimbro; quantum computers that truely understand numbers and mathematical problems.

Comment

111 (10) = 1101111 (2)

111 (2) = 7 (10)

Comment

Originally posted by LulThyme
                  orange be careful
                  as i said that particular string only seems special to you and us but in fact there is NOTHING particular about it
                  just like the number 123456789 may seem like a special number but try writing it in base 13 and tell me whats special about it
                  that string you mentionned will appear like any other one
                  theres nothing special about such a string apperaing if theres nothing more special infinetly afterwards
                  I'm not saying it 'won't' but I am saying that it's more likely for conner's phone number to appear than it is for 12345678987654321 (repeated a thousand times over) to occur because of the SIZE of the number and repatative nature of the integer.
                  "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                  You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

what is graham's number? like avogadro's number? the american version of it?

Comment

Re: yes echtelion

Originally posted by LulThyme
                      actually mr baggins im not sure if there is one
                      i recall reading something about this but i would check
                      pi's decimals are pseudo random thats for sure
                      I THINK its been proven than all irrationnal number's decimal expnasion must contain all finite string of numbers.
                      let me get back on this
                      I read too that pi had the property that any finite string occurs somewhere.

I am however sure that not all irrationel numbers contains all strings. Remember that rationel numbers written as decimals repeat at some point (easy to see when you make the division). Take the number 0,1010010001... , which does not repeat itself and so is not rationel, ie it is irrational. But it does not contain the string "9".
                      http://www.hardware-wiki.com - A wiki about computers, with focus on Linux support.

Comment

Originally posted by LightEning
                        Just one thing about pi... Because of its nature, it's inevitable that an approximation of pi, when being calculated to infinite lengths, will seem to repeat itself - twice, thrice, three billion times, Graham's number times, all but infinitely. True? I assume there is a good reason to say that pi isn't a rational number... err... I forgot the point I was trying to get across .
                        Infinite 'things' cannot repeat.

Comment

orange, it is only repetitive in a decimal code...

Comment

Re: Re: yes echtelion

Originally posted by Thue

I read too that pi had the property that any finite string occurs somewhere.

I am however sure that not all irrationel numbers contains all strings. Remember that rationel numbers written as decimals repeat at some point (easy to see when you make the division). Take the number 0,1010010001... , which does not repeat itself and so is not rationel, ie it is irrational. But it does not contain the string "9".
                            BINGO! My point exactly.
                            You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

Comment

what a number would that be? now I see, you have just made up an irrational number... hmm...

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                                orange, it is only repetitive in a decimal code...
                                irrelevant. If we say that it does not repeat in a decimal code, and have no reason to believe otherwise, why should we suddenly say that it not only can but does? And with an infinite number of combinations?

Comment

Working...
                                X