Does Pi contain my phone number.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does Pi contain my phone number.

I'm not big on mathmatics, so if this is like, an elementary question, please don't laugh at me TOO much.

It just occured to me that Pi, if it just keeps going without end and without repeating numbers, at SOME point, it should contain my phone number. Is this correct, or not correct?

I don't mean, is it POSSIBLE that it does. I mean, it would eventually HAVE to, right?
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

well...it's sketchy

Assuming an infinite number of variations and non-related patterns of numbers, one would assume that you would eventually see your phone number somewhere in there.

However, you could also have an infinite number of 1s, and never see your phone number.

I'd say yes, given the fact that the numbers (as far as I know) are completely unrelated and never repeat themselves.
    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

if it is endless, then theoretically it should have every possible combination of numbers? that would also mean it contains a certain 16-digit number you tell me, or a 1000-digit number, at some point. that would appear unlikely...

Comment

Yeah, but it's not like 10 divided by 3 which gives you an infinite string of 3's. It's always different numbers, and never repeats a pattern.
        -connorkimbro
        "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

like this: does pi (or e for that matter) at any point contain 1234567890987654321 and that repeated 1000 times? By your logic it has to... but I somewhat doubt that...

Comment

It does

If your phone number is finite in length
            then it is contained in Pi's decimals
            actually this is true for any irrationnal number's decimals and any phone number of finite length (not just yours )
            I even think there are some sites where you can input a string of digits and it looks where in the digits of pi it appears for the first time.
            for 7 digits im not sure how efficient sucha site would be though ud have to look

Comment

given an infinite number of random combinations everything is represented. thats just the nature of infinity... provided that is that it really does have a real random nature, and not a pseudo random nature.

Comment

yes echtelion

to answer echtelion at same time your string of digit also is somewhere in pi's decimal
                might take a while longer to find them though but it is there.

Comment

That's a good point.

I guess that the numbers ARE related, but in such a way that it never gets to something like 333333 (infinite) or 123123123123 (infinite) . . . but each number IS dependant somehow.
                  -connorkimbro

-theonion.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                    like this: does pi (or e for that matter) at any point contain 1234567890987654321 and that repeated 1000 times? By your logic it has to... but I somewhat doubt that...
                    Very good point, and the problem with that is that if it DID contain that string of numbers, there would be a pattern and as far as I know there are no patterns in the numbers of pi.

Connor - yeah, that's what I'm saying.
                    "Chegitz, still angry about the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991?
                    You provide no source. You PROVIDE NOTHING! And yet you want to destroy capitalism.. you criminal..." - Fez

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

now the real question is... at some point in pi, does pi contain itself?
                      I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                        Why wouldn't it? It's infinite. It's not just long, but infinite. If there's no discernible pattern in it, then every possible finite number combination will eventually have to come up. It just might take 10^50 or 10^5000 or 10^(10^5000)+ digits before you find your particular pattern.
                        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by MrBaggins
                          given an infinite number of random combinations everything is represented. thats just the nature of infinity... provided that is that it really does have a real random nature, and not a pseudo random nature.
                          well if pi were a random number how would we be able to calculate it?
                          I'm 49% Apathetic, 23% Indifferent, 46% Redundant, 26% Repetative and 45% Mathetically Deficient.

Comment

no, since infinity cannot be contained.

Comment

how would that be a proof for a pattern? it is just - accidentally - a chain of identical numbers over some time, and that is just as likely to occur as any other chain of numbers.

111111 and 346592 should be equally likely to appear.

Comment

Working...
                              X