ATHEISTS Are Narrow Minded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

- "You so missed my point.
    Santa is not God. But Santa is analogous to God. Something created to make people feel all warm and fuzzy knowing someone is watching and if you behave well will reward you." -

Jesus existed. We know that, and we also know he died a very painful death for others. Hell of a person. Is it that much of a leap, considering that authors at the time immediatly wrote their opinions, that he was God?

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
      Jesus existed. We know that, and we also know he died a very painful death for others. Hell of a person. Is it that much of a leap, considering that authors at the time immediatly wrote their opinions, that he was God?
      So what you're saying is that it is possible to have a widespread religion in a few thousand years based upon the teachings of the Heaven's Gate people (remember that?). I mean, they've got tons of documentation stating that UFOs are going to come pick them up and whatnot. What makes reading those thousands of years from now less valid than reading the crap religions use now?

For all you know, you're reading some great fiction people wrote. The people wrote it could have been obsessive people like Trekkies now-a-days. They could have been complete loons, out of their mind! But because it is written down and you've been told by your ancestors to believe it, you do. You accept it on blind faith.

That's not very logical to me, that's why I'm not religious.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

"we also know he died a very painful death for others. Hell of a person."
        How did his death in any way help others?

"Is it that much of a leap"
        Yes.

"considering that authors at the time immediatly wrote their opinions"
        They did no such thing.

You still haven't given anything but bald assertions to back your arguement about Christianity being inborn.
        Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Jesus existed. We know that
          There's no evidence of a historical Jesus of Nazareth. We have been through this a thousand times.

and we also know he died a very painful death for others.
          That's what the bible said. The bible also said a whole lot of other things that can't be supported by historical records.

Is it that much of a leap, considering that authors at the time immediatly wrote their opinions, that he was God?
          Huh?

Suppose that a Jesus of Nazareth actually did exist.

The first gospel in the bible wasn't written until several decades after his death.

Considering that there are certain earlier works, such as the Gospel of Thomas, that did not make it into the bible, one has to wonder what is the exact nature of said compilation.

Knowing the origin of the bible completely refutes the crank that it is "divinely inspired."
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

scary thought... what if two thousand years from now, people worshipped KIRK, whose name dare not be pronounced?
            B♭3

Comment

I agree completely Asher. The thing that astounds me is the religions we see in the modern world are all based on writings from an era where we can't even translate them. We also seem to have pictures of the Lochness monster, UFOs,bigfoot, so how come no pictures of any gods? Why because god is inside of us, and I don't mean that in a spiritual way, god is a way to explain the unexplainable, to rationalize to ourselves why we don't understand everything.
              I bet if aliens do ever land here they will be considered god until we can explain their existence or until they eat us all

Comment

I think agnostics are worse than Atheists. They're so damned sorry they can't even make up their mind if there's a God or not. When it comes time for their judgement, they aren't going to say "well I kind of believed you exist."

Kind of isn't going to cut it, junior...

Make up your mind. Damnation or Salvation...

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
                  I think agnostics are worse than Atheists. They're so damned sorry they can't even make up their mind if there's a God or not. When it comes time for their judgement, they aren't going to say "well I kind of believed you exist."

Kind of isn't going to cut it, junior...

Make up your mind. Damnation or Salvation...
                  Nonono, you've got it all wrong.

My stance is: If there is a God and he actually wants me to pray to him and worship him, he's an egotistical *******.
                  If there isn't a God, why do I care anyway? What would I do differently?

And thus I'm left in this don't know/don't care situation.

When it comes time for judgement, if I'm sent to Hell for not bending over and praying to Him every Sunday, then I'd rather be in Hell than satisfy His stupid ego.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Going to Church is not the idea of being a Christian.

At least not like that. Going to Church is supposed to be for your one's own benefit, to teach him or her how to be a better Christian. Think of it as a school for morals and how to be the hands of God in the world.

God doesn't want you to go to hell. He wants you to be with him in paradise. All you have to do is accept his message, and his love.

There's just two rules:
                    Love God with all your heart.
                    Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Why not be at least a Christian? Hey if you're wrong, what have you lost?

Look at the rules. Is it really that hard to have just a little faith?

I really hope life hasn't made you so bitter as to reject the love of God...

Comment

by the same token, why not be catholic?

why not be buddhist?

why not be daoist?

why not be muslim?

why not be mormon?

why not be jewish?

why not be zorasterianist?

why not be ba'ahi?

why not be rasta?
                      B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by DarthVeda
                        At least not like that. Going to Church is supposed to be for your one's own benefit, to teach him or her how to be a better Christian. Think of it as a school for morals and how to be the hands of God in the world.
                        Give me one good reason to base my morals on the metaphors of a book thousands of years old.

God doesn't want you to go to hell. He wants you to be with him in paradise. All you have to do is accept his message, and his love.
                        So in other words, as long as I don't kill people or whatnot I'll go to heaven. Regardless if I believe in him or not?

There's just two rules:
                        Love God with all your heart.
                        Love your neighbor as you love yourself.

Why not be at least a Christian? Hey if you're wrong, what have you lost?
                        Pascal's wager sucks. Sorry.
                        By the same logic applied to other things, we should always walk because it's far safer than driving. What have you lost? You can still get there eventually.

Look at the rules. Is it really that hard to have just a little faith?

I really hope life hasn't made you so bitter as to reject the love of God...
                        What love? If God loved me, he'd give me my damned Ferrari.

Comment

You shouldn't put BD in that category. He's not prone to ignorance or fits of absurdity or anything of the sort. He actually reasons quite well, only the selective evidence on which he bases his claims is not the same as our selective evidence.
                          You're saying Boob Dornan isn't prone to ignorance or fits of absurdity and that he reasons quite well. *Slowly steps away from Frodo...*
                          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                          -Bokonon

Comment

Wiglaf, if you still had an ounce of credibility, I might take the time to argue with you; even if I were incapable of breaking you out of your arrogant, irrational, and inconsistent worldview, I might be capable of helping others recognize the flaws in your reasoning.

However, in your recent thread in which you said that the US should attack its European allies for failing to provide assistance, you not only affirmed that you were an idiot troll but also lost all remaining credibility. Therefore, I see no need to "debate" your trolls, since there is little risk of anybody taking them seriously.

If in fact you are not trolling then you'll need to convince me by a. not using thread titles that are so obviously inflammatory and b. addressing the criticisms directed at your argument instead of ignoring or dismissing them. If you are in fact just an idiot troll, then by all means continue to use inflammatory thread titles and ignore/dismiss contentious opinions.
                            Last edited by loinburger; December 9, 2001, 03:16.
                            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Or were you referring to the "other" BD - Shi Huangdi?
                              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                              -Bokonon

Comment

What if I do everything that Christians do except for the whole praying thing and believing that God exists? Obviously I am a heathen and must burn in hell. What's wrong with that you ask? I followed my own moral code but because this "all-forgiving, all-loving God" didn't have me prostrate before him I go to hell.

Here's the way I figure it. If you believe in heaven and hell then you will go to one of the two depending on how you followed your beliefs. If you believe in reincarnation, you will be reincarnated. If you believe that after you die nothing happens, then nothing happens. I say that after we die it's all moot anyway. Live while the livin's livin'.
                                I never know their names, But i smile just the same
                                New faces...Strange places,
                                Most everything i see, Becomes a blur to me
                                -Grandaddy, "The Final Push to the Sum"

Comment

Working...
                                X