ATHEISTS Are Narrow Minded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Asher
    Us Agnostics are the only truly open minded people, using your logic.

Agnosticism is for those who can't get a grasp on the basic laws of logic.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

"Zhu the communist, there's a huge difference and you know it. Believing is wired into us, it is infused: irrational ways of thinking are not. They are earned by ignorance."

-Er... belief in religion is irrational by definition. Faith is not rational.

"Victor, again, there is a difference between what the mind can imagine on its own and what can be realized naturally with minimal support from the outside. A big difference."

-Granted, but christianity can not be realized naturally with minimal support from the outside.

"bah, victor, why don't you just save yourself the trouble and consolidate all of tolkein's books into one massive totem, and base your religion upon that?

i'm sure you could get plenty of followers.

even more if you promised free minister cards online..."

-You know that was my original thought But then I reconsidered. I was thinking more along the lines of following Waukeen (hah, figure out where that's from).
      "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
      -Joan Robinson

Comment

Wiglaf, I know it's hard for you to keep up with all your various opponents, but I can I get a response too?
        It is certain; my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul chooses to believe in it.

-Novalis

Comment

Ramo: Why bother reasoning with him?
          Victor: For fun and profit.
          Ramo: Profit?
          Victor: Step 1. Refute Wiglaf's points. Step 2. Step 3 Profit.
          Ramo: Wait. What was step 2?
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

"Zhu: We are naturally believers in God, every one of us. Some just stray from the path to create our own little fads or whatever. Those who are on the right moral level, do not. Very simple."
            That's a strange claim to make, especially in the light of the fact that the vast majority of human societies that've existed over the course of history have not been monotheistic. Hell, even early Judaism wasn't monotheistic.
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Sure Frodo, I apologize.

- "I just started reading the New Testament today, and it's actually quite inspiring. There are plenty of passages that almost make me believe in God, as they are so remarkably original and unbelievably well-written. However, the Bible is not alone in that respect. What makes it more truthful than the countless other masterpieces of religious literature, such as the Bhagavad Gita, the Koran, the Hebrew Bible, the Tao, the Book of Going Forth by Day, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, the Upanishads, and all the rest? Christianity isn't the only religion out there." -

Hey, if you want to be religious, that's a great start. Go with your conscience, but we are all naturally slanted towards Jesus in the end. If you truely follow your heart, it will lead to God. Every time.

Zhu, yes Christianity is infused at birth, and even right now. You simply reject it. And why would atheism be rational? That's pretty ridiculous, considering the numbers of non believers for less than innocent reasons (full knowledge of the faith) has been rising only in recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                UR: That belief was not infused, it was created out of the ignorance of the mind. I think you knew that, too.
                That clearly is a proclamation with no basis in reality.

Pick a random person who has never been in contact with Judeo-Christianity. Does he have this so called "natural belief" in your god?

Even Christian doctrines contradict this. If that indeed were true there would be no need for a Jesus of Nazareth, for everybody would have believed in YHWH.

So Wiglaf, other than baseless assertions, are we going to get anything else from you?
                Last edited by Urban Ranger; December 9, 2001, 01:20.
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

waukeen?

baldur's gate 2, isn't it?
                  B♭3

Comment

He's another damn Catholic. Must be a troll.
                    Yes. I think all Catholics are evil. In fact, they should all be sent to concentration camps.

If there's ever a time to say "PC," I can't think of a better one than now.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

Ramo: Why bother reasoning with him?
                      Victor: For fun and profit.
                      Ramo: Profit?
                      Ramo: Wait. What was step 2?
                      Ah yes. Gotta love South Park.
                      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                      -Bokonon

Comment

oh, and as for the "natural slant towards jesus from birth" and it being infused at that time?

here's a thought.

we could take two babies, isolate them completely, and see what kind of religion they come up with.

======

for some reason, it sounds remarkably like an experiment an ancient persian king once performed, seeking the natural language that all babies were infused with.

he isolated two babies.

they both grew speak in grunts and moans. of course, one of these grunts was vaguely reminiscent of the word for "sheep"... and because of that, he concluded that the natural language was a certain one.

unfortunately, the child was merely mimicking the sound that the sheep made.
                        B♭3

Comment

"Zhu, yes Christianity is infused at birth, and even right now."

ROTFLMAO! Tell that to remote african tribesmen, or say the Chinese.

"You simply reject it."

-As I reject the opinion that santa claus is real.

"And why would atheism be rational?"

-Lack of evidence of something divine.

"That's pretty ridiculous, considering the numbers of non believers for less than innocent reasons (full knowledge of the faith) has been rising only in recent years."

-I'm more puritanical than you, I reject the notion that belief in your God in any way strengthens my morality.
                          -Joan Robinson

Comment

and as for catholics in concentration camps, although i'd have to go, i figure it might be one of the best ways to reduce the population crisis. why?

a) catholics don't believe in any form of birth control outside of the rhythm method, which isn't altogether too useful.

b) there are well over a billion catholics.

so, even though i'd have to die, it's a good solution.
                            B♭3

Comment

"baldur's gate 2, isn't it?"

-In a way yes. She's a godess of the Faerunian pantheon (i.e. exists in any games/stories supposed to be set there). The 3rd Edition Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting gives a short blurb of Waukeenar dogma. It's pretty sensible.
                              -Joan Robinson

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf
                                Zhu, yes Christianity is infused at birth, and even right now. You simply reject it. And why would atheism be rational? That's pretty ridiculous, considering the numbers of non believers for less than innocent reasons (full knowledge of the faith) has been rising only in recent years.
                                Real Soon Now, we'll be getting some real arguments instead of the same old, same old regurgitated over and over again.

Comment

Working...
                                X