ATHEISTS Are Narrow Minded.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATHEISTS Are Narrow Minded.

I went to church the other day. Boring as hell, almost gothic, the songs were ridiculous, and the priest was a stupid moron. For you narrow minded ones out there, that's enough to walk right out and never go back in - isn't it?

But those open to the teachings of Jesus? Those interested in going beyond the fanatics, the literal? They'll find the true meaning of it all, if they look at what the religious life is all about. I encourage all of you to go to mass, or pick up a Bible - it's a lot deeper than what you'd think it to be after talking with an occasional idiot or two around town.

Atheists are quitters. True believers are those who endure.

Atheists are narrow minded, Theists are narrow minded.

Us Agnostics are the only truly open minded people, using your logic. But us agnostics don't give a **** one way or the other either.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

CAPITALISTS Are Narrow Minded.

I went a Communist Party meeting the other day. Boring as hell, almost Stalinist, the songs were ridiculous, and the "comrades" were all stupid morons. For you narrow minded ones out there, that's enough to walk right out and never go back in - isn't it?

But those open to the teachings of Marx? Those interested in going beyond the fanatics, the literal? They'll find the true meaning of it all, if they look at what the Communist life is all about. I encourage all of you to go look up your neighborhood Spartacist League, or pick up Das Capital - it's a lot deeper than what you'd think it to be after talking with an occasional idiot or two around town.

Capitalist are quitters. True proletarians are those who endure.

Same difference.

Also interesting is your contention that to now be narrow-minded you have to be a "true believer" and your rather arrogant assumption that none of us atheists know anything about the Bible. And finally, even if Jesus' moral teachings were valid (which they aren't) then it would hardly follow that he was the avatar of a Supreme Being.
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

You people go around saying everyone who believes different from you is narrow minded. Ever really looked at yourselves?

Comment

Bah, by your logic, I could create a religion based on my morality and write a book full of cool myths with an underlying philosophical message and then call all people who don't believe narrow minded.
          "The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists."
          -Joan Robinson

Comment

Sabre, ever really looked at the thread?

Zhu the communist, there's a huge difference and you know it. Believing is wired into us, it is infused: irrational ways of thinking are not. They are earned by ignorance.

Victor, again, there is a difference between what the mind can imagine on its own and what can be realized naturally with minimal support from the outside. A big difference.

Asher, you simply cannot take the middle ground and hope to get anywhere in life. You are worse than an atheist - you actually admit to quitting.

Comment

Your world-view has a loving and wise God at its centre, watching over His children. My world-view has no one sitting at the centre; instead every speck of dust twirls around independently and beauty is formed from the randomness.

Your faith lies in a divine man who died to show the practices that would lead away from sin and towards redemption. My faith lies in mankind and the belief that people are good and noble deep down inside.

Your salvation is earned in leading a good life and helping others. My salvation is earned in leading a good life and helping others.

The overall ideal is the same, it's only the details where we differ. And remember, God is in the details.
              Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
              -Richard Dawkins

Comment

I just started reading the New Testament today, and it's actually quite inspiring. There are plenty of passages that almost make me believe in God, as they are so remarkably original and unbelievably well-written. However, the Bible is not alone in that respect. What makes it more truthful than the countless other masterpieces of religious literature, such as the Bhagavad Gita, the Koran, the Hebrew Bible, the Tao, the Book of Going Forth by Day, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, the Upanishads, and all the rest? Christianity isn't the only religion out there.
                It is certain; my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul chooses to believe in it.

-Novalis

Comment

bah, victor, why don't you just save yourself the trouble and consolidate all of tolkein's books into one massive totem, and base your religion upon that?

i'm sure you could get plenty of followers.

even more if you promised free minister cards online...

======

and besides, we all know that humans are a rather narrow-minded species.

why else has so much gone wrong in so little time?

only when we truly begin thinking in eleven, or twenty-seven, or twenty-seven-half, or schfifty-five dimensions, as the universe may turn out to be, that's when we'll be open-minded.

but given humanity's trend, i don't think it will be even then.
                  B♭3

Comment

Wiglaf is a another variation of BD, Giannie, etc. Why bother reasoning with him?
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

He's another damn Catholic. Must be a troll.

Comment

Bah!

Umguf the Purple with Pink Polka Dot Unicorn is the one true diety!

You those who can't accept this fact are narrowed minded quitters!!!

Even though Umguf loves you all the same you are still condemned to an eternity in fire and brimstone!!!!!!!!!
                        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

"so remarkably original"
                          Really, never noticed that much origonal...

"Zhu the communist"
                          Not a communist, just using an analogy.

"there's a huge difference and you know it"
                          No I don't.

"Believing is wired into us"
                          Believing what?
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

UR: That belief was not infused, it was created out of the ignorance of the mind. I think you knew that, too.

Zhu: We are naturally believers in God, every one of us. Some just stray from the path to create our own little fads or whatever. Those who are on the right moral level, do not. Very simple.

Comment

You shouldn't put BD in that category. He's not prone to ignorance or fits of absurdity or anything of the sort. He actually reasons quite well, only the selective evidence on which he bases his claims is not the same as our selective evidence.
                              It is certain; my conviction gains infinitely the moment another soul chooses to believe in it.

-Novalis

Comment

Working...
                              X