The Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
    NYC is most definitely going to build a new stadium, or two. They won't let Steinny go to New Jersey or Long Island with his park. It benefits the town too much.
    Sorry, but the only reason Steinbrenner has the money he has is because he is in NYC. He loses more than NYC by abandoning the largest TV market in the US.

As for Jet stadium, well see if Sheldon Silver go for it, cause if he does not, well, the stadium dies.
    If you don't like reality, change it! me
    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• cah-BRE-rah's BETT-ah

id rather them bring in hanley ramirez at SS than have renteria. hes $9.8 million cheaper per year and we could use that money on santana next offseason.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• btw, no public funds. it forces those who dont even watch or go to the baseball games to pay for it. thats unfair, unamerican, and unpatriotic. the mayor should be fired for trying to force a huge tab onto the citizens of one of the poorer cities in america. if they have $500 million to blow, maybe they should give it back to the people in a tax break.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

• BREAKING NEWS BERAKING NEWS

TIMMMY TIM TIM HUDSON HAS BEEN TRADED TO TH E BRAVES

Access breaking news, commentary, scores, game recaps, stats, schedule updates, player reports, rumors, standings, and more for the Boston Red Sox.

details to follow.

Comment

• The Oakland A's traded right-hander Tim Hudson to the Atlanta Braves for two pitchers, left-hander Dan Meyer and right-hander Juan Cruz, and outfielder Charles Thomas on Thursday.

The Braves sent Juan Cruz, Charles Thomas, and uber-prospect Dan Meyer back to Oakland.

It depends on if Meyer will be good. If not, this deal sucks.

--

Oh, and BELTRE goes to the M's, along with SEXSON! They've reloaded.

He loses more than NYC by abandoning the largest TV market in the US.

How does he leave the TV market by going to New Jersey or Long Island? You don't think that the New York media will be just as obsessed with the Yanks? You don't think YES Network will still be a force? Yer loony.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• Oh, and BELTRE goes to the M's, along with SEXSON! They've reloaded.
              they need pitching, not offense. they better have enough money left to get two good pitchers. the year they won 116 games, they had pitching and defense and an average offense. they should learn from that.

Comment

• heres the problem thats happeneing in baseball today, and especially the sox. theo, bill james, imran siddiqui, all look at numbers too much and have human element in it. they dont care about clubhouse chemistry. they sign players because they got the most win share/ million dollars spent. they treat the players like pieces of a machine and end up mistreating them. is there any doubt that if the 04 red sox had been different then they were, they wouldnt have come back down 0-3. you cannot find chemistry in the computer, no matter how you try.

this blantant use of computers means that everyone who leaves beantown feels mistreated. the sox didnt even invited derek lowe to the red sox get together a couple days ago. what is that? sure you dont want him back, but theres no need to treat him like trash. this word gets around the league and athletes are less likely to sign with the sox.

which is why i dont understand why this FO is breaking the team apart. there was nothing broken, i dont see why we need to change it. we should have immediatly resigned pedro and cabrera and varitek because of the clubhouse presense (hold off on varitek till boras gets his demands down.) is there any doubt that it was personanlity, not win shares, or OPS which was the deciding factor in why the sox were as resilient as they were and why they won the series? since you cant argue with that, i dont see why we would replace any of the team (besides lowe whose asking way too much, and players who want to leave so they can play fulltime.)

spit your statistcs as much asyou want, when it comes down to it, its personality and chemistry that wins games. trust me, im an athlete, i know.

Comment

• Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
                  He loses more than NYC by abandoning the largest TV market in the US.

How does he leave the TV market by going to New Jersey or Long Island? You don't think that the New York media will be just as obsessed with the Yanks? You don't think YES Network will still be a force? Yer loony.
                  I think his business would be irrevocably hurt by pulling out of the Bronx. The Yankees are built on TRADITION. Leave the Bronx for Long Island, or Jersey, and you destroy that tradition. If Steinbrenner thinks the hard core Yankee fans will stick the team if it ever moves, even if just outside the city, then he is a fool.
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

• Looks like the Yankees finally got Randy Johnson....

Vazquez and minor leaguers to the Dodgers, Shawn Green/Brad Penny/some other guy to the Dbacks, Unit to the Evil Empire.

Looks like Arizona did ok with this deal. They would now have Penny and Russ Ortiz; not a shabby one-two. And Green is servicable.

Edit: Alright, on second thought maybe Penny isn't as good as I remember.
                    Last edited by Stuie; December 16, 2004, 23:58.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

• yanks got taken through the cleaners again. they traded away their future (including a hot prospect Navarro) for two years of pitching.

Comment

• I think his business would be irrevocably hurt by pulling out of the Bronx. The Yankees are built on TRADITION. Leave the Bronx for Long Island, or Jersey, and you destroy that tradition. If Steinbrenner thinks the hard core Yankee fans will stick the team if it ever moves, even if just outside the city, then he is a fool.

If you think Yankee fans would abandon the team and not go to games if he left for greener pastures then you are a fool. Tradition of a crumbling stadium in the Bronx wouldn't matter a whit as soon as the super-incredible park was first seen. You think Red Sox fans will abandon the team after the New Fenway is built? Not a chance.

theo, bill james, imran siddiqui, all look at numbers too much and have human element in it. they dont care about clubhouse chemistry.

Hmmm.. chemistry and "traditional baseball" - 86 years of failure.

2 years of statistics and numbers - World Series bliss

I'll take the later, thanks .

we should have immediatly resigned pedro and cabrera and varitek because of the clubhouse presense

Pedro for 4 guarenteed years is a mistake (wait until his arm falls off). Cabrera wasn't in the mix in the beginning of the year when the Sox were rolling, so he wasn't integral to any 'chemistry'. Varitek, they'll eventually get him, when the price falls when no one will pay his ransom.
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

• You're out of your damn mind. Randy Johnson is THE best pitcher in baseball, even at his age.

EDIT - Xpost with Imran, I'm speaking to LoA.
                          "Luck's last match struck in the pouring down wind." - Chris Cornell, "Mindriot"

Comment

• Originally posted by Stuie
                            Looks like the Yankees finally got Randy Johnson....

Vazquez and minor leaguers to the Dodgers, Shawn Green/Brad Penny/some other guy to the Dbacks, Unit to the Evil Empire.

Looks like Arizona did ok with this deal. They would now have Penny and Russ Ortiz; not a shabby one-two. And Green is servicable.

Edit: Alright, on second thought maybe Penny isn't as good as I remember.
                            HOLD ON!!

ESPN is saying there are some snags. Mostly being that Shawn Green doesn't look like he'll waive his no-trade clause and there may be problems on who'll pay Vazquez's salary.

A proposed three-team mega-trade involving Randy Johnson that reportedly was on the road to getting done hit the skids Thursday night.

Comment

• Originally posted by BustaMike
                              You're out of your damn mind. Randy Johnson is THE best pitcher in baseball, even at his age.

It's LoA. You think he'd ever say the Yanks made a good deal?

Comment

• Hmmm.. chemistry and "traditional baseball" - 86 years of failure.

2 years of statistics and numbers - World Series bliss

I'll take the later, thanks
                                you know and i know why they failed for 86 years. besides 46, the opposing teams all had better pitching. simple as that. we always tried to hit our way to a title and it never worked.

2 years of statistics worked a little, but there is no statistic on how a team will respond down 0-3. if that team had no chemistry and woulda given up, then no title. your statistics brought them some of the way, but its always chemistry and teamwork that brings them the rest, which is why we should keep this team togther. computers can never calculate heart and never-say-die attitude

pedro said, if the sox had guaranteed 3 years last week, he woulda taken it. but instead they wanted to nickle and dime him.

as for cabrera, as soon as they got him, they went on a huge winning streak. if you wathced in the clbhouse, him and manny got on famously. his acquisition turned the sox around.

You're out of your damn mind. Randy Johnson is THE best pitcher in baseball, even at his age.

randy will be a good pitcher for two more years max. dioner navarro will be a great catcher for the next 10. d-backs and dodgers made out like bandits in this deal

(btw, Brazoban, another phenomenal pitcher, was also a yankee who they traded for, yes, KEVIN BROWN. everyone raved how that was such a great move, i knew it was crap, and look whos right again. kevin brown has been a full blown bust, and yhency will be a great pitcher. you never ever mortgage your teams future for now, especially when half your team is liable to fall apart from too much steroids use, when you've got your highest paid player breaking out his bush league moves, and all your intangibles consist of money money money mooooney)

Comment

Working...
                                X