No announcement yet.

The Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think they just bought a guy who will make ~25-30 starts per year, on extra rest as much as possible (that's what the Sox did, anyway), and have an ERA around 3 (National League, and I don't think he's declined as much as last year's ERA would seem to indicate). 6 innings, maybe 7, per start.

If they do that, they can eek several years out of him, I think. If not, he will most likely suffer serious injury. I don't think the Mets - or Pedro for that matter - are really that stupid, though.

In any event, that's a valueable pitcher right there. #2 or #3 in the rotation... and come playoff time (if the Mets even make the playoffs!), he's extra valueable because he can reach back and produce flashes of true brilliance. But they still overpaid, in money and years.

-Arrian
    grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Red Sox have apparently signed Renteria (which always sounds like a venereal disease to me) - 4 years $40 million.

Cue LoA....

Edit: spelling
      Last edited by Stuie; December 15, 2004, 14:42.
      "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
      "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
      "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Boston Globe is saying Renteria signed a 4 year 40 million dollar deal with the Sox. Your 0 for 3 now LoA.

Edit: Damn I was beat to the punch.
        Accidently left my signature in this post.

Comment

Originally posted by bfg9000
          Theres a rumor that Phils are trying to get Kent Mercker from Cubs
          I've seen Chris Hammond and David Weathers mentioned also. Chances are they won't do anything until after the 12/20 non-tender deadline.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Renteria is a damn good player - one of the elite SS's in the game. He's been better than Nomar for a while now, at any rate

Good signing by the Sox. Theo knows what he's doing, LoA, appreciate it!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I heard the Nationals just cancelled their uniform unveiling ceremony today, uh-oh....
              http://monkspider.blogspot.com/

Comment

What a cluster****!

-Arrian

Comment

what a bad thing to wake up to in the morning i hope he fails his physical
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Who? Pedro or Renteria? Either way, you're nuts.

Losing Pedro may actually end up being a positive thing for the Sox.

Adding Renteria is DEFINITELY a positive thing for the Sox. He's an excellent player. I'm not sure if he's worth $10 million/yr., but in comparison to certain other SS's I can think of *coughJetercough* it looks pretty good.

-Arrian

Comment

The Phils rescued this guy from the scrap heap several years back and got lucky when this guy had the best year of his career for them, winning 15 or 16. He has never approached that since.

Not true.

His BEST year was in 2002 with Kansas City when he went 17-11 with a career low ERA of 3.90.

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Paul Byrd. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

He seems to be a decent pitcher when healthy, but healthy is the key word.

---

And Loa... HAHAHA! TOLD YOU! I win again!

And Renteria is head and shoulders above Cabrera. One of the best SS in the league.
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        Who? Pedro or Renteria? Either way, you're nuts.

Losing Pedro may actually end up being a positive thing for the Sox.

Adding Renteria is DEFINITELY a positive thing for the Sox. He's an excellent player. I'm not sure if he's worth $10 million/yr., but in comparison to certain other SS's I can think of *coughJetercough* it looks pretty good.

-Arrian
                        renteria. cabrera is twice the baller that renteria is. cabrera woulda been a .300 hitter in fenway, with 50 doubles, a perfect number 2 hitter to have infront of ortiz, and would get lots of fastballs to hit (hes a fastball hitter)

cabrera showed up to play in the playoffs, while what i saw of renteria was nothing but negatives. no big hits, no big defensive plays. cabrera was clutch on both sides of the ball.
                        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

06 roster, revised

Starters:
                          1. Santana
                          2. Schilling
                          3. Clement
                          4. Arroyo
                          5. Papelbon*? Lester*? Wells?

Lineup:
                          1. Johnny Damon (CF)
                          2. Edgar "Everyone knows Cabrera's bettah" Renteria (SS)
                          3. David Ortiz (DH)
                          4. Manny Ramirez (LF)
                          5. Trot Nixon (RF)
                          6. Doug Mintkieviecz (1B)
                          7. Kevin Youkilis (3B)
                          8. Hanley Ramirez (2B)*
                          9. Kelly Shoppach (C)*

*= currently in the minors

Comment

All that I'll say on Renteria/Cabrera:

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Orlando Cabrera. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Édgar Rentería. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

Especially check out the stats for last year's World Series:

Cabrera: .235/.381/.294
                            Renteria: .333/.412/.533

And in All Star Games:

Cabrera: 0
                            Renteria: 4

And interestingly enough, Renteria is YOUNGER than Cabrera.

Pedro's certainly not crap, but neither is elite anymore. He can still be brilliant (if given extra rest), of course, but you don't pay what they paid for that.

Well, the Mets will be making money on Pedro. I'm sure that his jersey will be flying off the shelves and perhaps the Mets can attract new Latin fans with Pedro, who knows? Sometimes you have to pay a little more.
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

heres all i gotta say about renteria/cabrera

cabrera played all 162 games
                              cabrera had 11 RBIs in the postseason
                              cabrera batted over .300 with the sox
                              cabrera turned more double plays
                              cabrera had a higher FP
                              cabrera had higher OBP after park adjustment
                              cabrera had higher SLUG after park adjustment.

Comment

and you know all star games dont mean anything. no one knew how good cabrera was until he came to the sox.

Comment

Working...
                                X