The Offseason Baseball Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Offseason Baseball Thread

What would you like to discuss? Steroids, Free Agent signings, trades? Your team's chances to win this year? WS predictions?Sping Training will be here before you know it...

Steroids: I believe MLB has been aware of steroid usage for years and turned a blind eye because of the financial gain to be gotten from the extra excitement generated by all of these HRs in recent years. I mean, really, didn't you start following baseball a lot more closely after the McGwire/Sosa HR binge of 2000?

Giambi, Bonds, etc: I dont judge them harshly for trying to maximize their potential through drugs. If you could take a pill to make yourself exponentially better in your chosen line of work - wouldn't you take it? I do believe, however, that if you let athletes juice up, you need to allow corked bats and you need to allow pitchers to cut up the balls and add substances to the ball when they are pitching..

Free Agents: The Phillies just signed pitcher Jon Lieber to a 3-yr $21-million contract. Is he worth that kind of money?

First... steroids. Up until a few years ago, it wasn't even against the rules of MLB to use them. So I don't want to hear about how certain records need to have foot notes on them... especially since they really can't "prove" that a player was on such things back then. But now that they are illegal... they need to have a real testing program, and not the crap they have in place now, and get serious about catching players using them. Anybody caught should be treated harshly.

Free Agents... The Cubs actually resigned Nomar for another year. And on a lesser note, also resigned Walker at second base for a year. This will only improve the Cubs. Now, if they could only dump Sosa and find a real closer...
    Keep on Civin'
    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

Free Agents... The Cubs actually resigned Nomar for another year. And on a lesser note, also resigned Walker at second base for a year. This will only improve the Cubs. Now, if they could only dump Sosa and find a real closer...
      I think Nomar will have a huge year this year.. Closer for Cubs: Maybe they could sign Nen or Williamson? Did you like Lieber when he was with the Cubs?

Comment

Lieber was great when he was with the Cubs.
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Re: The Offseason Baseball Thread

Originally posted by bfg9000
          Free Agents: The Phillies just signed pitcher Jon Lieber to a 3-yr $21-million contract. Is he worth that kind of money?
          No. What a disappointing signing. Now the Phillies have a bunch of #3 pitchers (plus a #5 in Myers).

Lieber may have been good with the Cubs, but that was pre-elbow surgery.
          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Nomar will be fine, but I would really rather the Cubs had gone after Renteria, since it subtracts from the Cards at the same time.

There are no good free agent closers. The Cubs will need to deal one of their 6 starters (5+Clement) to get the quality closer they need. Hopin Hendry is smart enough to figure that out and make it happen.

I'd give up Zambrano, heck even Kerry Wood, for Gagne -- in a heartbeat.
            Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
            RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Steroids: I believe MLB has been aware of steroid usage for years and turned a blind eye because of the financial gain to be gotten from the extra excitement generated by all of these HRs in recent years. I mean, really, didn't you start following baseball a lot more closely after the McGwire/Sosa HR binge of 2000?

I thought the McGwire/Sosa race was in 1998?

You (well, I) had to know something was a little fishy when people were talking about the chances of the single-season HR mark being broken that year... during March.

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit
                Nomar will be fine, but I would really rather the Cubs had gone after Renteria, since it subtracts from the Cards at the same time.

There are no good free agent closers. The Cubs will need to deal one of their 6 starters (5+Clement) to get the quality closer they need. Hopin Hendry is smart enough to figure that out and make it happen.

I'd give up Zambrano, heck even Kerry Wood, for Gagne -- in a heartbeat.
                If the Phils are out of it in August, they will definitely try to move Billy Wagner before the deadline..

Comment

It seems that players and owners are determined to have tough steroid testing procedures impelented for this season.

Reports are that Bonds is already looking smaller. I guess he should plan on getting pitched to a lot more this year....

Comment

On a side note, when I was at the Kerry rally in Boston, an older man brushed by me on my left side. As I looked to see who dared such a thing, I saw to my shock someone I had known since I could remember. Not personally, but from TV.

Peter Gammons, baseball efficianado and ESPN commentator, was in the middle of this pro-Kerry crowd.

I couldn't help myself:

"You're Peter Gammons".
                    "I know".

Sadly, I couldn't find one person who knew who he was
                    "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                    ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                    "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

MLB Owners Agree To Eliminate Steroids From Post-Game Buffet

http://www.thebrushback.com/mlbowners_full.htm

Well, its a small step, but at least they are moving in the right direction.

Comment

I'm looking forward to the Washington Nationals playing next year at RFK stadium.

There were 15,000 deposits on season tickets put down within a couple of days of going "on sale." I don't know how that compares with other cities, but I guess I was surprised at the amount of interest in season tickets in Washington. Maybe I shouldn't have been surprised. Washington is the 5th largest metro area in the US, after all.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

15,000 without a marketing campaign is a guaranteed attendance of 1.2 MM before any single-game sales. That's pretty damned sweet.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

They now say they've taken deposits on over 18,000 season tickets over the last month. I guess that puts them above Tampa Bay in attendance well before sales of game packages have opened up. And it doubles Montreal's average attendance of last year.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: The Offseason Baseball Thread

Originally posted by bfg9000

Giambi, Bonds, etc: I dont judge them harshly for trying to maximize their potential through drugs. If you could take a pill to make yourself exponentially better in your chosen line of work - wouldn't you take it? I do believe, however, that if you let athletes juice up, you need to allow corked bats and you need to allow pitchers to cut up the balls and add substances to the ball when they are pitching..
                              No, I wouldn't. I'd rather have my accomplishments be mine and not a little pill's.

Besides, I don't work hard at work now, why would I want to take a pill to help me work harder?

ACK!
                              Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Working...
                              X