40000 Rapes in Congo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asmodean

Contrary to common belief, Denmark is not a racist country, and the danish immigration laws have nothing to do with racism. The law that the article mentions is made to stop forced marriages in (primarily) moslem circles. Until this law was passed, it was not uncommon for moslem parents to force their sons and daughters into marriages against their wish. This is perhaps not so great an issue in moslem countries, but because these children were brought up in Denmark, they had adopted danish values, and did not wish to marry against their will.

The law has made it impossible to "import" a spouse if you are below 24 years of age. Since the danish constitution prohibits such a law to distinguish based on race, religion etc, the law has to count for all danish citizens.

Furthermore, the reason why the danish government has adopted stron anti-immigrant legislation, is that we have done a piss-poor job of integrating those immigrants that we have, and the general feeling is that until we have sorted out those problems (ghettos, unemployment, etc.) these restrictions should not be lifted.

So no...I'm proud to say that I live in a country where race is no big issue.

Asmodean
    Well considering you live there I'm sure you have a better idea than me of the racial situation. I don't necessarily disagree with that law BTW, I just thought it might be an indication of racial strife.
    ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
    ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

• Don't distort the issue, Caligastia, you have blamed the current mess in Africa on genetic as opposed to cultural issues. There is no evidence to support this, and much that is against it.

-Drachasor
      "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

• Originally posted by Drachasor

Studies and research indicate that in terms of mental attitude and ability, differences are all environment between races.
        There are many other studies that indicate genes play a big part. Both sides make good points, so I won't discount either one of them. Also, we have learned from twin studies that genetics play a significant part in the development of intelligence and behaviour - why should it be any different for groups? For me this is the only reasonable conclusion. Do yourself a favor and read up on what both sides have to say before falling for the "we are all the same" fairy tale.

Comment

Don't distort the issue, Caligastia, you have blamed the current mess in Africa on genetic as opposed to cultural issues. There is no evidence to support this, and much that is against it.

-Drachasor
          I don't blame it completely on either. It is you who is doing that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Caligastia

There are many other studies that indicate genes play a big part. Both sides make good points, so I won't discount either one of them. Also, we have learned from twin studies that genetics play a significant part in the development of intelligence and behaviour - why should it be any different for groups? For me this is the only reasonable conclusion. Do yourself a favor and read up on what both sides have to say before falling for the "we are all the same" fairy tale.
            You are the person that hasn't done their homework.

Yes, there are important variences between individuals. As I said though, all evidence is indicative that there is no significant difference between races as a whole. The genetic variance within a race is much, much greater than the genetic variance between two races. All that is indicative that "racial groups" are a bit arbitrary and not all that true to real differences.

Do yourself a favor* and go check out the studies before you hypothesize and assume someone else is wrong.

-Drachasor

*Also, never talk to stranger.
            "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

• Well, there is also the fact that not all African culture is bad
              That is why I said the average, there are most definetly a host of excellent attributes contained within black American culture, but they are woefully drowned out by the rest of the crap.

Your point of view is the idiotic one, and rather condecending and insulting. I would agree with you, to a point, that culture you find yourself in is not your choice. My father is a jobless ghetto superstar fake-baller, so that is what I am INCLINED to follow. However, we are talking about human beings here, smart ones with free will (unless you think blacks are somehow caste bound because they are not smart? I know you don't thing this). Make the choice to change youself. Not saying it is easy, that their may not be immediate bad side effects, or that it will even work in the long run but none of those are excuses.

As a gay man who had to come out too his freinds. Hard, yes, but most will tell you it was worth it.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• I don't believe in free will.* People are a product of their environment and genetics.

-Drachasor

*And I challenge you to give a decent definition of what free will is.

Comment

I don't blame it completely on either. It is you who is doing that.
                  Ok, I was wrong is saying you thought it was entirely genetic. My apologies.

However, you seem to think that genetics is playing a large or very large role here (such as with the spread of AIDs), and there is no evidence to think that. If anything, there is evidence the other way.

-Drachasor

Comment

You are the person that hasn't done their homework.

Yes, there are important variences between individuals. As I said though, all evidence is indicative that there is no significant difference between races as a whole. The genetic variance within a race is much, much greater than the genetic variance between two races. All that is indicative that "racial groups" are a bit arbitrary and not all that true to real differences.

Do yourself a favor* and go check out the studies before you hypothesize and assume someone else is wrong.

-Drachasor

*Also, never talk to stranger.
                    You're just trotting out the same cliches I've already heard many times before. This shows you don't have any real understanding of genetic differences. To say there is no evidence of significant genetic differences between races means you are either not aware of it or you choose to ignore it. All I can do is urge you to broaden your horizons.

Comment

I don't believe in free will.
                      Hey, don't you think one weighty topic is enough!?

People are a product of their environment and genetics.

You think this only applies to individuals?

Comment

• Originally posted by Drachasor Ok, I was wrong is saying you thought it was entirely genetic. My apologies.
                        No worries.

However, you seem to think that genetics is playing a large or very large role here
                        (such as with the spread of AIDs), and there is no evidence to think that. If anything, there is evidence the other way.
                        Environment is variable when you look at Black populations around the world, yet whatever the environment they tend to have higher rates of infection. Obviously there is some other influence at work here.

Comment

• I don't believe in free will.* People are a product of their environment and genetics.
                          Ha, well now that I know what corner of the ring your are hailing from, no need to even continue. Your were coming off as such a smart one for a minute there
                          "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

• Originally posted by Patroklos

Ha, well now that I know what corner of the ring your are hailing from, no need to even continue. Your were coming off as such a smart one for a minute there
                            I've never heard a reasonable and logical arguement for free will.

Perhaps you'd like to share yours.

-Drachasor

Comment

You're just trotting out the same cliches I've already heard many times before. This shows you don't have any real understanding of genetic differences. To say there is no evidence of significant genetic differences between races means you are either not aware of it or you choose to ignore it. All I can do is urge you to broaden your horizons.
                              I've read numerous scientific studies on this. The evidence is that there is much more variation between two people of the same race than between races as a whole. The differences between races are pretty minor compared to that between individuals. All research done indicates the same intelligence and other mental factors between races (when you adjust for socio-economic and like issues).

In contrast, I've seen nothing to the contrary.

-Drachasor

Comment

Hey, don't you think one weighty topic is enough!?
                                He brought it up, I was just stating my position.

I probably should just have said that you can't ignore how the environment influences people, and that there are large bodies of evidence to this effect.

-Drachasor

Comment

Working...
                                X