The Battle of the VPs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Monk

If you had had more time to think it over, you would have discovered that that is not always correct.
    Or rather you'd write:

"If you had had more time to think it over, you would have discovered that is not always correct."

-Drachasor
    "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

Originally posted by Drachasor

Or rather you'd write:

"If you had had more time to think it over, you would have discovered that is not always correct."

-Drachasor
      Aaaarrrgh

Although yours would probably be the usual way of stating the point in question, I keep the faith in that my sentence is grammatically correct.

Still, I suddenly feel like walking on thin ice here, a foreigner trying to correct native English speakers. It's just so damn tempting to do so when it comes to Mr. Fun.

Comment

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of native speakers do "that that" too.

It's still wrong though. : )

-Drachasor
        "If there's a child on the south side of Chicago who can't read, that matters to me, even if it's not my child. If there's a senior citizen somewhere who can't pay for her prescription and has to choose between medicine and the rent, that makes my life poorer, even if it's not my grandmother. If there's an Arab American family being rounded up without benefit of an attorney or due process, that threatens my civil liberties. It's that fundamental belief -- I am my brother's keeper, I am my sister's keeper -- that makes this country work." - Barack Obama

Comment

I'm gonna watch it because watching American politicians I form my picture of Americans.

Comment

I want to have a strong hand when it comes to the United States in world affairs. I don't want to try to put our troops in all places at all times. I don't want to be the world's policeman, I want to be the world's peacemaker by having a military of high morale and a military that is well-equipped.

I was honored to be flanked by Colin Powell and General Norman Schwartzkopf recently stood by me side and agreed with me. If we don't have a clear vision of the military, if we don't stop extending our troops all around the world and nation building missions, then we're going to have a serious problem coming down the road, and I'm going to prevent that.

I think we've got to be very careful when we commit our troops. The vice president and I have a disagreement about the use of troops. He believes in nation building. I would be very careful about using our troops as nation builders. I believe the role of the military is to fight and win war and therefore prevent war from happening in the first place. So I would take my responsibility seriously.
            October 3, 2000
            The First Gore-Bush Presidential Debate
            Last edited by Docfeelgood; October 5, 2004, 18:09.

Comment

yeah the biggest Bush flip flop
              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I'm gonna watch it for its comedy value
                Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Euros, this is showing at EuroNews.
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

AND on BBC
                    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

They ask Edwards: If you were VP and Kerry were Pres would Sadam still be in powwer?

Edwards starts talking about OBL and never brings up Iraq!!! Answer the god damn questions!
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

Wow, it seems that I've seen this debate a few days ago
                        Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                        Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Edwards just called other "countries" other "worlds"... Just like Kerry.... Freakin' aliens!
                          Monkey!!!

Comment

Coalition (as of September 29, 2004):

* Military:
                            o 1,054 U.S.
                            + 799 killed in action
                            o 68 U.K.
                            o 70 from all other coalition countries

Hmm. 68 + 70 = 1054
                            Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
                            Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

Anyone who's watching: do you know if the 120 Billion that Cheney refuted Edwards' claim of 200 Billion spent in Iraq includes the 80+ Billion that congress voted on, that Kerry didn't support?

Also...200 Billion...120 Billion...that's a ****load more than 5 Billion (Gulf War)
                              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
                              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
                              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Interesting situation. Cheney claims Edward's facts are wrong, and puts quite impressive counter. However, his words are building a premise, that claims Iraq is going great. How's that for a paradox?
                                In da butt.
                                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                                THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                                "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                                X