Free Speech on Campus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Speech on Campus

Very interesting video I found about academic bias and free speech on campuses. Check it out:

Brainwashing 101
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

But Ozzy! The universities are bastions of free speech and it's just conservative whiners .
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Ah yes, how could I forget.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

I really don't notice anything. We have a group on campus called the Young Republicans, and another called Young Democrats. I'm allowed to speak my opinions in class, and every single one of my profs have respected me (and sometimes more then often agreed with me). And I go to... gasp... Cali, erhm Mexifornia.
        For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Well, thanks for the thread Ozzy, but I've already seen that link.

And that's one of the reasons I'm enjoying my break from university.

It's heaven. I show up for work, and I get paid. What more could I ask for?
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

As for free speech on my campus, I've been insulted, spat at, had eggs tossed at me, shouted at through bullhorns (rather pointless since I'm deaf).

So tell me again about a 'marketplace of ideas.'

It may be a marketplace, but with only one shop to buy things from.
            Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
            "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Well maybe you shouldn't be such a hatemonger
              "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
              ^ The Poly equivalent of:
              "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Well maybe you shouldn't be such a hatemonger
                It's not like I'm protesting the presence of gay people on campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

It's not like I'm protesting the presence of gay people on campus.
                  Then what the heck are you doing for people to do this to you?
                  For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

As for free speech on my campus, I've been insulted, spat at, had eggs tossed at me, shouted at through bullhorns (rather pointless since I'm deaf).

So tell me again about a 'marketplace of ideas.'

It may be a marketplace, but with only one shop to buy things from.
                    Institutes of progressive thought tend to frown upon those of us with thinly veiled archaic hatemongering.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Then what the heck are you doing for people to do this to you?
                      Do you really want to know?

I can send you the pictures we put up via PM.

Here's a hint, if we can't even look at it, why should we allow others to have that choice?

Comment

Institutes of progressive thought tend to frown upon those of us with thinly veiled archaic hatemongering.
                        Comparisions between the victims of the holocaust and the victims of abortion makes us hatemongers?

I should think it to be the other way around. The advocates of abortion don't seem to care much for unborn children.

Comment

Do you really want to know?

I can send you the pictures we put up via PM.

Here's a hint, if we can't even look at it, why should we allow others to have that choice?
                          Fine send me them. Then I will see. You have my word I will not post them here.

Comment

Comparisions between the victims of the holocaust and the victims of abortion makes us hatemongers?

I should think it to be the other way around. The advocates of abortion don't seem to care much for unborn children.
                            Oh you are talking about abortion. Well, I'm against abortion (in most cases, expect with incest and rape where it should be an option).

If it is anti-gay stuff you are doing on the other hand, I would be happy to toss rotten eggs at you.

So then again, no need to send those photos..

Comment

If it is anti-gay stuff you are doing on the other hand, I would be happy to toss rotten eggs at you.
                              Nope. We just show people what abortion really does, which is pretty gruesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X