X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gunkulator

Sales tax: 5%
    State income tax: 6% (I think)

I _know_ sales taxes are more than double in Canada. Not sure about income tax but I suspect they are a good deal higher up north.

On the sales tax, it depends where you are. In alberta you "only" face the 7% federal sales tax. Elsewhere, in fact, I think in almost all the other provinces, you would be facing either two taxes or a combined tax which would be around 15%
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Pekka--

Re: Detroit crime. 1) It is not a factor in Ann Arbor. 2) Detroit's reputation is much, MUCH worse than the reality.
      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Oh yeah.. but comparing to where I come from, it's open warfare lands . I read last year, that it's 25% more likely that you get assaulted in here, but then again I can handle myself, but in Detroit? Jeesh.. I don't think so!

YOu know I'm already thinking about Kids too. I dont' want my kids to grow up in Detroit. Now this Ann Arbor sounds like a good place though! Vancouver is also sounding pretty good. I've never heard about this Ann Arbor, so this is worth checking out.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Vancouver's pricey if you want to raise kids in the city. The suburbs are much better, but even they are starting to creep up in price to match the demand.

I wouldn't want to live here with my family, but it's good place while I'm single.
          Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
          "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
          2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Pekka,

I think in order to qualify for Canadian imigration benefits, you would need to actually transfer to a Canadian University and get a Canadian student visa. You wouldn't get the same priveleges by just being an exchange student in Canada through your university in Finland.

Same thing applies in the US, although I don't know the details.

Comment

And yet quantity does not equate to quality, which Chicago has. UChicago, for instance, Loyola and DePaul, and yes, even that bastard stepchild, Northwestern.

Frankly, I'd take Emory, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State .
              “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.â€
              - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

bay area is chill, so is san diego. both places
                "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

JimmyCracksCorn, yeah I know the rules. My plans are massive .

Bay area IS cool, but it seems like it always rains there too... but it's cool area, no doubt about that. I've never been to San Diego.. but I heard it's nice. Hey they got the waterworld! No sorry.. seaworld
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Pekka, go big. Go Texas.

And what are your massive plans?

Comment

• Texas is too hot for me. I mean, it must be a great place. Great place. But it's so hot in there. Sounds maybe weird to you, but it's really an issue for me. I'm not made for those conditions really. I suffer. Literally.

My massive plans are massive. I have only success in my mind.
                      In da butt.

Comment

• I love living in Montreal. Living here is relatively cheap. The women look great. And we have a pretty good night life, with cool clubs, and lots of afterhouse clubs. Since you like electronic music, I'm pretty sure Vancouver is not the place to be.
                        Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• The downside of living in Montreal is you live Quebec...
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

• Detroit would be the place to be with electronic music though
                            In da butt.

Comment

• If you're into snowboarding then go to Vancouver.
                              Golfing since 67

Comment

• Originally posted by Pekka
                                Detroit would be the place to be with electronic music though
                                Yes, but Detroit sounds so dreary. Montreal has a pretty good reputation worldwide for electronic music. All the big name dj's come here. You should hear the sound system at the Stereo!
                                Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Working...
                                X