Pros and Cons about US and Canada Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pchang
    Your estimate of the price of a decent home in the Bay Area of California is off by at least a factor of 2.
    Even by a factor of two the total is only $500k. Your off by about $300k-$400k for your average single family house in the east bay. $700k ought to get you a half century old fixer upper on a small lot.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by cinch

Have you ever BEEN to Edmonton?
      Or Montreal for that matter. I think that 90% of Depanneurs are owned by Asians in Montreal.

Spec.
      -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

• Just to reiterate a few points about Calgary

Kipper and Iginla
        Cold in winter but not much snow here-- lots in the mountains
        Kipper and Iginla
        Good economy-- red hot in fact
        Kipper and Iginla
        Modern city-- can be a downside as there is little history here
        Kipper and Iginla
        Seems to be a lot of hot wormen
        Kipper and Iginla

Asher has covered off the schooling aspect-- I just know that I like it here. Housing/rent is manageable and public transit is decnt
        You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• Finally the US Cavalry arrives..

Oerdin, hey.. I have easier chances to Berkeley, as I'm not applying there for full run, just transfer. However, it's still very difficult to get into. Not to mention I need the money to it, too .

Santa Barbara, very nice place. It was one location we went in our roadtrip.. as was that San Louis Obispo place, where we stayed too. Maybe I should just go to LV and live in plastic.
          In da butt.
          "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
          THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
          "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimmyCracksCorn

Montreal is an exceptional place for women though, namely because French women can be (and carry themselves) in an extremely hot manor.
            There are plenty of hot women in Montreal period. I'm not sure if it's a langage thing. Just go on St-Laurent and you'll find out that there are plenty of hot anglophone montrealers. (There's a difference between anglophones from Montreal and anglophones from the rest of Canada. Maybe they have been influenced by our latin ways. )
            However, if you visit the universities, you'll notice that the women in the french speaking universities look a lot better than in the english speaking ones.

Although it appears to me Montreal is going downhill. The first 10 or so times I went there, I was always floored at the hotness of the women. But the last 5 or 6, I have been consistently dissappointed. Not that there aren't hot women, but it just seems like there's alot more uglies. Maybe its because more obese Anglos are moving in? I don't know...
            I've been living here for a while, and I haven't found a reliable club. One night, the place is filled with hot chicks; the other, it's not.
            Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• $700k ought to get you a half century old fixer upper on a small lot.
              That's so sad...
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• I must admit the bar scene in Montreal is pretty awesome, and it's definitely the most Euro-feeling city I've encountered in N. America.

It's a nice place to visit, but why would anyone with free choice go to Canada?
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

In rural Vermont they are. People are ugly in rural Quebec too... Or go to Gatineau, QC (across the river from where I live) and the women aren't exactly top notch there either.

Edit: Pekka, you shouldn't rule out the more southern places. They can be the nicest places in the US.
                  Well, to be frank, I haven't been there in years. But have you seen their newscasters? They don't look good. And that's an understatement. And they don't want to look better: putting to much effort in your looks is deemed vain and frivolous. That must be a puritan thing...
                  Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

• Originally posted by -Jrabbit

It's a nice place to visit, but why would anyone with free choice go to Canada?
                    As opposed to where . .. the US??

If you are suggesting that everyone would prefer the US, you would be very much mistaken.
                    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

• US and Canada both have excellent places to live. Canada is pretty short on a lot of things that Pekka isn't interested in (sun, surf, heat, etc.) though.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Although it appears to me Montreal is going downhill. The first 10 or so times I went there, I was always floored at the hotness of the women. But the last 5 or 6, I have been consistently dissappointed. Not that there aren't hot women, but it just seems like there's alot more uglies. Maybe its because more obese Anglos are moving in? I don't know...
                        You have no idea what you're talking about. The Anglo pop. of Montreal (and Quebec in general) is on a steady decline. Nobody with English as a first language moves to Quebec.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by DanS
                          US and Canada both have excellent places to live. Canada is pretty short on a lot of things that Pekka isn't interested in (sun, surf, heat, etc.) though.

yup-- but both are large diverse countries. It depends on what people are looking for in a place to live

Comment

• I think Canada is closer to Finland than the US. If Pekka wants to leave Finland, then maybe the US is the better choice for him.
                            “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

• pchang, yeah. Canada is like a backup plan. No offense Canadians! But hey, think about it, it's the 2nd choice of over 200 countries .. that's pretty good!

Well well.. I always think, that if I go to Canada, they will think me as too American. If I go to US, they think me as .. well.. superman. Rightfully so. It's the GC thing I'm worried about anyway. YOu know.. US bureocracy is like SU, you never know what you gonna get . Also like box of chocolates.. It can taste sweet, but leave your hands looking like you just dove on ****. And this is the reason I'm superman. I said dove, not dived.
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

• Pekka, you just need to find a desperate American woman and impress her with your manhood. You will get visa immediately, and GC after several years of hard bedroom labor.
                                “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Working...
                                X