Pros and Cons about US and Canada Cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pros and Cons about US and Canada Cities

Right.. as most of you know, this is where my dream starts. However, I've been doing a lot of research over the time, and it seems like the green card and all that is far reach UNLESS I get to be transfer student in the Uni of my choice, Berkeley (CA).

So.. if that plan fails, I might be looking into going over to Canada. What is the main difference between Canada and US as far as employment goes, also job opportunities and salaries in the field of software engineering (or other IT related stuff).

Then, what are the best places to live or/and study (in case I don't get to Berkeley)?

I appreciate safety, good opportunities to do sports for example hiking possibly, maybe there's sea access.. not necessarily though. Maybe there's snow in winter too? It can't be 100F all around the year for me. It's just too much. I can't take it.. I'm a snow caveman afterall. I survive in 0F naked, not 100F.

Other things I appreciate is.. well, nice community of course, low crime rate at least in violence and drugs, awesome nature, or at least possibility to get to nature relatively fast, good school districts.. stuff like that. Good houses, possibly not the most expensive ones in the country. Anywhere from over 500k for a house starts to be expensive. Somewhere between 200k and 500k is moderate.

Also, about sports, it doesn't hurt if there's good hockey, or maybe even NHL near, less than hour drive away.

It helps, if you can snowboard there also, in few hours drive away.

It should have nice and friendly atmosphere, and ... preferrably good income region.

So.. Canadian and US cities... let's hear'em!
    In da butt.
    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

In Canada, sanity is the norm rather than the exception
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

If you're looking for an NHL city, you're better off forgetting about Canada.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Vancouver, Pekka.

You can go and play winter sports on Whistler mountain which is a short drive from the city, you can sunbathe naked on Wreck Beach, you can eat a variety of cuisines, visit Chinatown and Japantown, it has a choice of universities, it was where they filmed a good part of the X-Files, you can go boating, yachting, waterskiing, play golf, hockey, baseball, rugby, they have a sports stadium affectionately known as the S & M marshmallow, and you're a short flight away from the island of Sointula off Vancouver Island, which as the name might tell you is full of Canadians of Finnish descent.

Oh, and it has a great museum of anthropology too, and very good looking women.
        Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Vacnouver, the most civilized city in this hemisphere. I could never live there because of the cloud cover, unfortunately. I must have my sunlight.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Vancouver Canucks.... ...

Well.. and Vancouver is close to US border too... and the Pacific.. Vancouver Island, what is that? I have never heard of it....???

What I like about cities near US/Canadian border is the outdoor possibilities, and climate that I don't have to adjust to. What is the general emplyoment situation in Canada? Is there a future in Canada? What kind of taxation there is in Canada compared to the US? I assume it's higher, how much higher? Income tax in particular... What about the level of salary compared to the US?

I'm still undecided.. the fact that it's difficult to get GC etc in US is kind of a bummer.. you need a sponsor or something. Canada might be a lot easier for a fellow like myself.
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Go to Vancouver if you like hippies, rain, and unusually inept provincial government envious of their neighbors to the east.

Vacnouver, the most civilized city in this hemisphere.
              Strange that the most civilized city has one of the highest crime rates in Canada.
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Pekka: If you're studying compsci (which I think you are), you'll likely end up in the Toronto area or Ontario in general, and maybe Vancouver if you don't mind a pay cut.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Well, I do mind a pay cut. Toronto you say... Well, cities close to the border, Detroit is out, there's just no way around that. Most anything else is under consideration.
                  In da butt.

Comment

The problem with Canadian cities is that they're in, well, Canada, and it seems like everything's gone wrong since Canada came along...

That said, there's also the problem with the fact that none of their cities have real Chicago-style Hot Dogs or real Chicago-style Pizzas or real Chicago-style Politics.
                    B♭3

Comment

Q Cubed, I could eat a chicago style hot dog or pizza now. What is chicago style hot dog or pizza? I know New York, but what is chicago?
                      In da butt.

Comment

Fresno
                        I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                        - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                          Well, I do mind a pay cut. Toronto you say... Well, cities close to the border, Detroit is out, there's just no way around that. Most anything else is under consideration.
                          Toronto (specifically Markham) are the tech centers of Canada. Ottawa to a much lesser extent.

Most of the major players have large software/hardware engineering centres in Markham or around it: IBM, ATI, HP, Sun, etc.

Actually, IBM has 3 large facilities in Markham (a town of under 200,000 people): A 2,500 person software lab (where I work right now), a 4,000 corporate HQ for Canada, and a large callcenter/distribution center.

There's TONS of small companies around here too.

From personal experience, most of the good tech jobs in Canada are in or around Toronto.

Vancouver has some notable exceptions...like EA Canada.

Comment

For safe and affordable living with good access to outdoor activities/the sea... Calgary, Halifax, Edmonton. Maybe Montreal (not sure of cost of living).

For best job prospects/pay scales... Vancouver, Toronto, maybe Calgary depending on what you do. Montreal has it's fair share of hi tech industry, as does Ottawa.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I am a born and raised Vancouverite who moved to Toronto 2 years ago. We actually moved for my wife's career (advertising), but I have also benefitted. (I am a software developer.)

Vancouver definitely fits your initial description better, but you will make more money in Toronto. It should be noted that part of the reason is that the work culture in Vancouver is more laid back - far more a normal 9-5 atmosphere than Toronto, which is more 8-6, or until the job is done.

Obviously, even more money awaits in the States, but the downside is that you have to live there. Higher cost of living, high crime... I could go on but the resident 'Poly Americans might lynch me.

As for the comment on Vancouver crime - it is predominantly minor property crime and autotheft, the former to fuel drug addiction and only in particular neighbourhoods, which can be avoided. As for autotheft, just don't drive a popular car.

Comment

Working...
                              X