No announcement yet.

Windows XP SP2 is here... what you need to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We use Windows 2000 at work, and WinXP SP2 works fine on my ThinkPad at home with IBM's software.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Two news items/comments related to SP2 were interesting. The firewall doesnt block outbound traffic http://blogs.zdnet.com/index.php?p=285 and intel processors dont have the necessary architechture to take advantage of some important security features.

We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

If you don't wanna wait for autoupdate, you can download SP2 straight from Microsoft now: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Ha!
          Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
          The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
          Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
          We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Just to let you know - and I do know Asher said differently - but I have heard reports that SP2 could make your XP box useless if your copy is illegal.

Aher: any comments on that? Not that would that interest me of course.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Last I heard, it would work on pirate versions since it would be beneficial to everyone to have less unpatched systems in the world.

Comment

What would it do? Flash your bios? Install Magic Lantern on it?

Anything to prevent you from simply reinstalling the illegal copy again? (Or, Linux? )

Comment

You can install SP2 on pirated copies, MS is more concerned people are safe believe it or not...

Or you can listen to Natlinasmpf, format your drive, install Linux, cry, beg for mercy, and put Windows back on, then cry about your lost data, then curse Linus Torvalds.

Comment

natalinasmpf, you still haven't answered my distro question.

besides, there are reasons to dual boot into linux and windows.
                    B♭3

Comment

Or you can listen to Natlinasmpf, format your drive, install Linux, cry, beg for mercy, and put Windows back on, then cry about your lost data, then curse Linus Torvalds
                      That is, unless you know what you are doing.
                      Only feebs vote.

Comment

It doesn't matter that you know what you're doing, when your OS doesn't know what it's doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                          It doesn't matter that you know what you're doing, when your OS doesn't know what it's doing.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

All the other Linux users on this board seem to be able to get it to work.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                              All the other Linux users on this board seem to be able to get it to work.
                              Is this an example of the specatacular logic you teach your students?

Of course Linux users can get it to work, if they couldn't, they wouldn't be Linux users.

Be careful, clearly I'm qualified for your job.

Comment

cry, beg for mercy, and put Windows back on, then cry about your lost data,

Actually, I never did that.

I just freed up the stupid FAT32 space taken up by Windows and converted it to Linux reiserfs. Now that I have SMAC for Linux, I no longer have to dual boot anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X