Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and then I looked at his nick

Comment

With that location field the nick isn't really required, though.
      If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

So to rephrase my question so that 'some' will understand it.

I wonder if this firewall will actually work with a LAN i.e. allow us to communicate between PC's on the LAN and use printers without having to disable the ****ing firewall that prevents us from being instantly inundated by attacks from 15yr old script-kittys?
        We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
        If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
        Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

It is supposed to, yes.

That was the #1 reason people had it disabled (that and game/app compatibility), so they fixed it to get more people to use it. It's FAR more customizable now.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Here's a screenshot to demonstrate (notice File & Printer Sharing).
            Attached Files
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Another screenshot
              Attached Files

Comment

Some more details:

If you click "Edit" on the File and Printer Sharing entry in the first dialog, you get the dialog on the top.

If you hit Change Scope in the edit dialog, you get the dialog on the bottom.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
                  Linux sucks? No way...its far better, I don't have to constantly get patches, reboot my PC, content with games, actually immune to 99.999% of viruses....(yes, there is one or two worms for Linux, but very rare for 3% of the market)...so hah, beat that!

i'm not having any problems after four years with my windows xp install...

it's not virus-ridden either, and doesn't have spyware, either.

You probably have some, but its secretly lurking.

Like the Magic Lantern virus the FBI installs on a lot of computers to "monitor" you for "safety" purposes. Guess this is one of the ways for pre-emptive strike, so they can find out whether you are a thought criminal for posting or spreading "bad thoughts" like dissesion on the net.

Selling an OS that works, has no virus threats in the wild and needs very little in the way of patching: Mac

Mac programs usually aren't open source, have no way for kernel upgrades (non critical, but many times nice, to keep up with actually useful features)....

Use Linux! Same stability, actually truly immune to most viruses since the networking component is IN the kernel, and not fragmented and cannot be hijacked, with iptables (a connection firewall, with masquerading capability) to boot.....

LINUX!!!

dork
                  We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

CNN.com says Windows XP SP2 cost $1,000,000,000 (1 billion dollars) to develop over 2 years.

I bet you every release Apple makes for $129 costs maybe $20,000,000, max.

Also, 1.75 million lines of code were either added or modified as part of the update.

Comment

sounds interesting... although none of the new features appeal to me. IE is a terrible spyware magnet. I used it maybe 4 or 5 times last month, and already I have 2 adware's and 1 virus that I've detected in my scan so far.
                      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

You can exclude file and printer sharing with the SP1 Firewall as well. Just set up some rules to open the ports.
                        The thing however is that you can't use different scopes. That's actually a cool feature!

Here is a tutorial on how to enable File & Printer Sharing in ICF1:

But in ICF1 it's a bit pointless because you don't have the different scopes, so when you set the rules and put your computer directly on the net, these ports will be opened too.

Comment

You probably have some, but its secretly lurking.

you don't know who you're talking to, bub. trust me, my computer is locked down tighter than chinese fingercuffs.

btw, natalinasmpf... what distro do you use? i'm expecting one of three answers, and if you don't use one of those three, i'll know that you're full of it.
                          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            CNN.com says Windows XP SP2 cost $1,000,000,000 (1 billion dollars) to develop over 2 years.

I bet you every release Apple makes for $129 costs maybe $20,000,000, max.

Also, 1.75 million lines of code were either added or modified as part of the update.
                            how in the world do you spend $1 billion on software! I don't believe it. Sorry.

Comment

Hmm. Thousands of highly-paid software engineers working full-time for 2 years can add up pretty fast, SP2 went through amazing amounts of testing that requires keeping thousands of variations of PCs on hand, then testing them through insane amounts of configurations...

It can add up pretty fast.

Comment

Meanwhile Asher you should have gotten a note from IBM telling you not to install SP2 as most IBM Software doesn't work with it.

At least I read it in the news today.

Comment

Working...
                                X