Windows XP SP2 is here... what you need to do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
    Actually, its "below average"...if you didn't know, a whole arrival of Linux ports of intense 3D games like SMAC, Savage, Simcity and the like (as well as somewhat like a myriad of them)....so no, they don't have low numbers of games.
    Call it what you will, but the fact remains that Linux does not have anywhere near the number of games that is available to a user running windows.

As Asher pointed out before, Loki is no more. It filed for bankruptcy in August 2001 and went into liquidation in February 2002.

Meanwhile, game titles for windows continue to roll out.
    For comparison, here is a list of pc games released in 2002 for the pc. All 257 of them.
    I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

/me looks at first post

Nice

/me reads some posts

Oh no! Not another OS war
      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

"intense 3D games like SMAC"

Meanwhile, back in the real world ... the PC version of Doom3 came out this week.
        If I'm posting here then Counterglow must be down.

Comment

Originally posted by FrustratedPoet

Meanwhile, back in the real world ... the PC version of Doom3 came out this week.
          You know, your choice of example was pretty damn near as bad as Natalina's ... sure, Doom3 for Linux isn't out yet, but it's one of the veeery few games that are basically guaranteed to be ported. On the second, third, fourth and fifth hands, I know I wouldn't even try to run stuff like Far Cry on a Linux box.
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Call it what you will, but the fact remains that Linux does not have anywhere near the number of games that is available to a user running windows.

Good enough for me.

I don't exactly need C&C: Generals, however (boring, in my taste), and the games I really want, I just configure them for WineX, or even link them against winelib, if I want, then attempt to compile them natively.

Its tedious work, cost me weeks, but I think its worth it. Personally, Linux takes far less effort to maintain for more performance. Java works on it. Flash and Shockwave works on it. So far all Win32 programs using DirectX 6 or below are almost guaranteed to work in some way (with funny fonts, but yeah)....

Also, take a look at sourceforge you will see thousands of games for Linux. Small, but fun. Bzflag, netpanzer, just to name a few...

Actually, I wanted to say good games, then I listed a very not good in game in my opinion, but 3D and very popular...so uh...

I should have stuck with "a very good variety of games".
            Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
            The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
            Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
            We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
              "Yes" and "Ask me again later"???
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I guess it is not yet out for german Windows?

All I got through automatic update was "Cumulative Security Update for IE6 SP1", which well... (who uses IE6???)

Comment

I wonder if this firewall will actually work with a LAN?
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

What else should it work with?

Comment

The current XP firewall is only for a direct connection to the internet. If you connect via a router the firewall has to be turned off.
                      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI

Comment

Yeah?

Well I tell you that I am sitting on my LAN right now and have the firewall activated and I am very fine. And I am still using XP1.

You only need to turn off firewall when you want to allow incoming traffic (or for SMB).

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                          Yeah?

Well I tell you that I am sitting on my LAN right now and have the firewall activated and I am very fine. And I am still using XP1.

You only need to turn off firewall when you want to allow incoming traffic (or for SMB).
                          Windows XP's Internet Connection Firewall (ICF) protects your network against undesired incoming traffic from the Internet -- everything from casual port scans by bored teenagers to serious break-in attempts by determined hackers. ICF creates a protective barrier between your network and the Internet, only passing through traffic that you've requested.

You can enable or disable ICF separately on each dial-up, LAN, or high-speed Internet connection in the Network Connections folder. That's good, because there are some connections that can benefit from ICF, and some that must not use it.

Here are some points to ponder when deciding whether to use ICF on your network connections.

WARNING #1: As its name implies, the Internet Connection Firewall is for use ONLY on a direct connection to the Internet, such as a dial-up, DSL, or cable modem. If your computer gets its Internet connection through a software router (like Internet Connection Sharing) or a hardware router, you don't have a direct connection and must not enable ICF.

WARNING #2: If the Internet Connection Firewall is enabled on a local area network connection with other computers, it will block File and Printer Sharing. This is probably the most common problem in Windows XP networking.

WARNING #3: ICF is only effective against undesired incoming traffic from the Internet. It can't stop undesired outgoing traffic from spyware, Trojan horse programs, or other hacker tools. If you want outgoing protection, use a firewall that offers that capability, and disable ICF on all connections.

WARNING #4: To enable or disable ICF, you must be logged on as a user that is a member of the Administrators group.

From http://www.practicallynetworked.com/...c_firewall.htm

One of the best networking sites, but I guess with your expertise you already knew that.

Comment

you don't have a direct connection and must not enable ICF.
                            That sounds like something really bad would happen if you do

You can always enable the ICF and you will almost always be fine. Except when you need File or Printer Sharing, which I pointed out when I said you need to disable it for SMB. Other things that require you to configure your firewall are e.g. ICQ filetransfers (read WARNING #2)

Comment

so what do we need to do to prove asher is a wintel conspiracy agent bent on futhering da domination of bill?

Comment

Proof? you need even more?
                                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                                X